Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
89BB2A6D-15CE-4C62-8E12-54E1E5938AED.gif
My friend hockey isn't a great fight or hit anymore. It's skill. Skill > Hits = Success

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Anyone else getting a Dal Colle vibes from Cozens? Hopefully he get's picked early and Turcotte/Dach fall to us.
The closest to DalColle would be Dach because of skating and playing like a man vs kids.

Cozens would be a M.A.Pouliot if busts

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hockey IQ and speed. We need a forward worh both these attributes. Only 4 fit the bill in the top 10. Hughes, Turcotte, Kakko, and Zegras.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
One thing I will say about Cozens after watching some more footage on him recently is that he is a better goalscorer than I've given him credit for. His release is actually pretty darn good. If he can translate that part of his game to the NHL he will be a valuable player. Looking forward to seeing him at the U18's. Might move him up a little bit on my list.
That's something I've been saying for a while. He is a pretty good goalscorer and he's got a really nice shot. I could see him becoming a Carter type for sure.

The issue is that he'll have to change his game a bit for it to translate. In the WHL he plays a bit like Matthew Barzal, where he has the puck on his stick a lot and pretty much tries to skate circles around the opposition. He's a playmaker in juniors, but I think his lack of hands and vision will prevent him from doing the same in the NHL. He should work on playing a more mature game and learning to get open and utilize his shot more. Basically just learn to play to his strengths, which is his shot, not his playmaking ability.

Reactions: Zaddy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Saw this article about the U20 Championships in Sweden over on Eliteprospects... BLOG: Grewe among standouts in Swedish U-20 Championships (JSM)

Tobias Bjornfot was named best defenseman. Lucas Raymond(2020) was named best forward. Mattias Norlinder was named Playoff MVP.

They also added a couple blurbs about Norlinder and Grewe. Norlinder sounds interesting although he was passed over in last year's draft.

Mattias Norlinder, MODO Hockey J20, D, 5’11, 179lbs, DOB 04.12.00

Norlider was the most outstanding player at this year’s JSM-weekend and were rightfully awarded with the “Playoff MVP”-award. The first thing that jumps off the page with Norlinder is his skating, he takes smooth strides and when he accelerates to top speed it can look close to effortless. He is very mobile and is excellent at transporting the puck, but he could use his skating a bit more in the offensive zone to find open ice. Norlinder has decent hands and controls the puck very well but doesn’t have an overly flashy playstyle, even though he can puck handle his way past an opponent if he has gathered some speed, instead he often focuses on making the right play and to solve the situation he is in in the best possible way. He has a good shot, both his wrist shot and slap shot are powerful and he is good at finding the net through traffic, but Norlinder’s passing abilities is a notch ahead of his shot. He sees the ice very well and doesn’t hesitate to handle the puck and wait for passing lanes to open up before making a play from the blue line or the boards. He has a strong first pass that is highly accurate and can create a breakaway for a team mate all the from his own zone. Norlinder’s defensive game during the JSM-weekend was close to flawless, he continuously made the correct reads, knew when to use his body to challenge an opponent and when to steer them towards the boards with his stick. Norlinder’s overall smarts includes superb defensive awareness and positional play, and with his strong skating and awareness he can quickly transition quickly from defense to offense if there is a turnover. Norlinder was not drafted in last year’s draft but with the season and progression he has had this year he can surly expect to hear his name called during this year’s

(He's #27)

Albin Grewe, Djurgårdens IF J20, RW, 6’0, 176lbs, DOB 03.22.01

Grewe was Djurgården’s most notable player during the JSM-weekend, he drove their offense with his intense play style and high work rate and scored Djurgården’s only goal in the semifinal all by himself. Grewe is mostly known as a powerforward but he has shown that his game is so much more than that, he is a capable skater that is strong on the puck with great balance and upper body strength and he is excellent at carrying the puck from his own zone, up to and around the offensive zone before making a play or shooting the puck. Grewe is a major threat when he can challenge a defender with speed, he can stickhandle his way through the inside or blast past on the outside and he likes to go behind the net and either throw the puck in at the first post or to circle around and try to find a play from the other side of the net. Grewe’s shot shouldn’t be underestimated either, he can fire a quick wrist shot between the goaltender’s legs from up close or, if he gets some time to aim, find a top corner with a well-placed shot. With his high work-rate and willingness to play physical and aggressive hockey Grewe is very effective around the opposing net and he doesn’t hesitate to get his nose dirty when he searches for a loose puck or rebound. Another aspect to like about Grewe is that he is so diverse; he can play a power game but also take on a offensive role, he can throw a big hit to give his team energy, he can make a great pass to set up a goal and he can create and finish of a goal scoring chance all by himself. He is a player that is loved by his own team and disliked by his opponent and you always know what you will get from him due to his work rate and competitiveness. Grewe is one of the most interesting Swedish forwards in this draft class and could be a potential first round pick, but first he will play for team Sweden in the U18 WJC.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What does it take for the Oilers to move up from 8 to 3/4?

Can the Oilers move up to 4 if they give up a 2nd and a prospect (Jones?)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Wow I'm surprised to see Caufield and Kaliyev ahead of Krebs and Boldy.

Also looks like Broberg and Soderstrom have switched spots.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why does him signed in the KHL matter? Like really? He’s going to need time to develop anyway, if he was Swedish and wanted to play in the SHL till he’s ready no one would say ****. The stigma surrounding Russian players is so outdated and stupid. If he’s the best player available then you take him end of story.
I don't think it's a stretch to say we are probably the worst organization for scouting and developing European raised talent.

What exactly is our track record for drafting players out of any of the European leagues? (Drai is WHL, so he doesn't count).

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don't think it's a stretch to say we are probably the worst organization for scouting and developing European raised talent.

What exactly is our track record for drafting players out of any of the European leagues? (Drai is WHL, so he doesn't count).

Piss poor. The last European that the Oilers developed was Kurri.

Actually, there was Klefbom, Satan, Hemsky, Rucinsky, Semenov, and Beranek. That is it since 1984.

Tikkanen was 1983. Kurri was 1980.

Pretty good record all in all. 7 European prospects drafted and developed in 34 years. Superb!

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Actually, there was Klefbom, Satan, and Hemsky. That is it since 1993.

Well that defenseman in Chicago seems to be doing pretty well. Beyond that yeah we've not done too well.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Klefbom I guess is the best. Jussi Markkanen I guess was a bit of a success.

Puljujaarvi, Paajaarvi at least played a few NHL seasons. Disappointments given their draft positions, but I'm still holding onto hope for Pizza Boy.

Jani Rita, Alexei Mikhnov, Jesse Niinimaki, were the more higher profile busts.

Even our later round picks who we thought were close, like Omark, Hartikainen, Lander, Marincin, Slepyshev didn't quite make it.

We either have to stop drafting Europeans, or we have to re-focus on how we develop them.

Well that defenseman in Chicago seems to be doing pretty well. Beyond that yeah we've not done too well.

Gustafsson wasn't developed by us at all. Did the smart thing, and went unsigned.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

Actually, there was Klefbom, Satan, Hemsky, Rucinsky, Semenov, and Beranek. That is it since 1984.

Tikkanen was 1983. Kurri was 1980.

Pretty good record all in all. 7 European prospects drafted and developed in 34 years. Superb!
I didn't know Leon Draisaitl was from Beaumont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad