GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh god damn Gillis, look what you made us do!

Going by what some people are saying that the Beagle/Roussel contracts aren't bad because it fits into the timeline of developing the players we need to actually become good again, what they're indirectly saying is that Canucks were so bad that Benning needs/deserves like 8 years to turn the organization around.

Reactions: I in the Eye

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Glad to hear you are being optimistic about things.........It's a real skill to have this level of positivity...........And to display it in such an amusing and inventive manner.........Congrats............

Glad you are deluded.....It's a real skill to have these days.....Probably helps you get through this dark age of Canucks hockey.

Reactions: Pavel96

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
You are seriously putting the Sedins and their 100 points in the same breath as these players?

Sedins 100 points -40, $15 mil.

4th liners with roles $6 mil.

Not the same. As everyone from the Canucks has said they are handing the scoring roles over to the kids.

I still don't see why people cannot comprehend this.

Did we expect Nikolai Goldobin to be logging 4th line and PK time?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I’m not assuming anything. I’m putting today’s events in context by contrasting what did happen - a couple silly but not franchise destroying moves - with something that would be disastrous from a cap perspective. Today isn’t a catastrophe, just more characterstically dumb decision making. (More straw for the camel’s back. Let’s see what happens.)

Thanks for clarifying what I should and shouldn’t post about, though! It’s been awhile since I read the TOS.

Well I mean you *can* post anything you want. I’m just saying your assumptions seem a fair bit off and not entirely reasonable.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Going by what some people are saying that the Beagle/Roussel contracts aren't bad because it fits into the timeline of developing the players we need to actually become good again, what they're indirectly saying is that Canucks were so bad that Benning needs/deserves like 8 years to turn the organization around.

Same people were telling us we'd be ready to compete again in 2019 when Benning arrived...... then it was 2020.... now it's 2023

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Not the same. As everyone from the Canucks has said they are handing the scoring roles over to the kids.

No, I think Gaunce, Dowd, Motte, and Archibald had that pretty well covered. Not sure why our entire July 1 focus had to be on “fixing” the least important line on the team.

Reactions: MS

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Because if they plan is suck, we don't need to make 4 year commitment to the players intended to help us suck. That money would be far better used being turned into flippable players on short term deals.

Reactions: mossey3535

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Why do they sign them to 4 year deals? Unsure. Maybe other teams offered more for less term but these guys wanted term?

Imagine how this day goes if Benning did nothing at all. Damned if you do damned if you don't right.

I think the term is a year much myself. 3 years was fine but factor in this.

Vancouvers cost of living is among the highest in the league

Vancouver is still 2+ years away from competing

We had little to 0 deterrents of any kind on this team.

All these factor in to every signing. The NTCs are limited. Essentially meaning more often than not that we wont be able to trade them to bottom feeders.

Im really not for or against any of these signings myself honestly. It all fits yhe tineline to contention this team is on.

As of right now we're a top 10 pick next year at home. Have players we can in fact trade and don't need to rush anyone doing it.

I'm not an instant gratification kinda guy. Proper building of anything takes time and is a total pain. But having watched botched jobs cost people more than just a job or time I'm ok with it.

I lived through the 70s and 80s. I survived the Keenan years. This is the brightest future this teams had in...well ever.

If people want to complain about today cool. Last season fine. This coming season alright. But keep in mind what they'll be saying in 3-5 years as well.

Everyone complains when it hurts. Nobody remembers they did when it feels good though

Very well said............looking forward to 2-3 years from now when people can start to see the big picture.........for some reason it's escaping a lot of them atm.

Reactions: Warh1ppy

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Wow.......a constructive argument that would perhaps indicate shockingly enough that management has a clue what they are up to........NOOOOOOOOO.........WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE???!!!!

This cap stuff you wrote isn't true is it?

But.....what.......huh? Ok even if it is true why on earth are you daring to stray from the fact that Benning completely effed up our future by WAYYYYY overapaying 2 fourth line plugs? It's soo obvious that you and the rest of the Benning boys will go to any lengths to defend him. Bringing up **** like cap space and real numbers only further illustrates this. Like please try to focus on the fact that we are ruined - totally and absolutely crushed here.

For GAWDS SAKES just let me revel in my despair and don't bother bringing up anything that doesn't further add to my misery. Unless you are illustrating anything other than the fact that Benning's an incompetent nincompoop who has doomed our franchise I really don't want to hear from you......

A dark day my friends........even amongst a history of dark days this one stands out as being amongst the darkest............

Why does it take you so many words to simply say “Benning’s great and nothing he does will ever bother me”? So much shorter and to the point.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Very well said............looking forward to 2-3 years from now when people can start to see the big picture.........for some reason it's escaping a lot of them atm.

What’s the big picture? Adding one top 6 pick a year until we have enough of them to not be a garbage team? At the current rate we should be playoff competitive by 2025 or so.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
No, I think Gaunce, Dowd, Motte, and Archibald had that pretty well covered. Not sure why our entire July 1 focus had to be on “fixing” the least important line on the team.

What would you fix?

Goaltending is setup for after this year.

Defense isn't there to pickup.

The only forward really worth anything was Tavares and he wasn't signing in Vancouver for any money.

Address the bottom 6 seems reasonable when you expect your prospects to be your top 6.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Glad you are deluded.....It's a real skill to have these days.....Probably helps you get through this dark age of Canucks hockey.

There are countless studies shown why being an optimist is healthier for you while leading to a better quality and happier life. If you want to call that being deluded I can't help you...........continue on Sir..........

I happen to think that we have a very bright future ahead of us - granted that is still 2-3 years away and we have some pain to endure in the meantime but there's a lot to be optimistic about.

Reactions: Warh1ppy

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Que the ridiculous Benning quote explaining this mess:

"We want to be a harder team to play against and I think the players we added make us harder," Benning told reporters Sunday. "They're experienced players, they're going to help out in the locker room. They're guys that have been through the wars before."

"Losing Danny and Hank in the dressing room and that leadership void, I feel like we've covered that a little bit with the signings today," Benning said, noting that management also wanted to make sure the team's young players are protected on the ice.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Same people were telling us we'd be ready to compete again in 2019 when Benning arrived...... then it was 2020.... now it's 2023

They're getting mixed signals... they should wait for Benning to say which season the winning starts, like Lowe did.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
What would you fix?

Goaltending is setup for after this year.

Defense isn't there to pickup.

The only forward really worth anything was Tavares and he wasn't signing in Vancouver for any money.

Address the bottom 6 seems reasonable when you expect your prospects to be your top 6.

Then don’t waste a bunch of money and term on something that wasn’t really a problem? Maybe use that cap space to take on a bad contract for extra assets? Maybe try to bring in a young defenseman like De Haan or Moore who can be part of the fix in a few years?

Just a few wild and crazy ideas.

Reactions: MS

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Because if they plan is suck, we don't need to make 4 year commitment to the players intended to help us suck. That money would be far better used being turned into flippable players on short term deals.

And why would these 4th liners who have the pick of anywhere they want (nearly) sign in Vancouver short term?

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
What’s the big picture? Adding one top 6 pick a year until we have enough of them to not be a garbage team? At the current rate we should be playoff competitive by 2025 or so.

I would try to explain but I'd have better luck potty training my cat (there's a slight chance it would work but I'm just not super motivated to do so considering the odds)..............For now I'm content to let it escape you...........it is however heartening to know there are some around these boards who are viewing our future through the same lens..........

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I would try to explain but I'd have better luck potty training my cat (there's a slight chance it would work but I'm just not super motivated to do so considering the odds)..............For now I'm content to let it escape you...........it is however heartening to know there are some around these boards who are viewing our future through the same lens..........

Ya, that’s what I thought. Lotta yapping, not much content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad