GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Why does it take you so many words to simply say “Benning’s great and nothing he does will ever bother me”? So much shorter and to the point.
I think it would read more like: 'BENNING'S GREAT.................................. and nothing he does............................................................................................. will ever bother me................................................ :naughty::thumbu:'

Reactions: CanaFan

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Ya, that’s what I thought. Lotta yapping, not much content.

I'm taking my cue from some of the more seasoned posters on the board like yourself.............Repeat narrative......Support/hate Benning..........Repeat narrative.........casually attempt to insult posters by demonstrating my intelligence.........Support/hate Benning.......Pretty simple it seems like? Or have I missed something?

Reactions: Warh1ppy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And why would these 4th liners who have the pick of anywhere they want (nearly) sign in Vancouver short term?

1. The leafs had no trouble doing it, neither should we.

2. getting paid to warehouse bad short term contracts. especially if you can on-sell them for another pick using the teams 50% retentions.

Reactions: THE Green Man

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Hey @VanJagger, remember your list of 5 things that Benning was improving? Wasn’t #5 that he wasn’t going to waste a lot of money on July 1? Can you replace #5 with something else for me?

I'm not happy about 4 years - I don't think we should have given 4 year terms to anyone. I can only theorize that's what had to be done to get players he liked here. I think 4 years for Beagle was excessive but not quite the disaster everyone was hoping for. I kinda disagree on the signings and amounts - it's not the calamity that everyone is making it seem to be.........but hey I get it's more enjoyable to be upset so carry on.......

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And why would these 4th liners who have the pick of anywhere they want (nearly) sign in Vancouver short term?

So Tobias Reider will sign a 1 year deal for $2M in Edmonton, or Brodziak 2 years $2.3M total, but it would take a multi-year $10+M contract to have convinced them to come to Vancouver?

It should be pretty simple. These bottom tier players are going to make relatively little, they need to sign for as much term and $$$ as they can get when they can get it. Just using the Edmonton two for example look at the gap from what they got to what we paid Beagle and Roussel, and we should have been able to snatch them away for anything inbetween.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
1. The leafs had no trouble doing it, neither should we.

2. getting paid to warehouse bad short term contracts. especially if you can on-sell them for another pick using the teams 50% retentions.

Gillis came in and tried to make the organization more attractive to free agents. Tried to think outside the box as to what the team could provide beyond salary that could entice players to sign with the club.

Bennings view: We need to overpay, give too much term, and give away no trade clauses as to entice FA's to sign here.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
Looks like we should prepare for a flood of shot attempts on the Canucks net whenever Beagle gets sent out on the penalty kill.

Among centres who played at least 150 PK minutes last season, Beagle ranks 27/27 in terms of shot attempts/60, and 26/27 in terms of unblocked shot attempts/60.

At least this should help #LoseForHughes2019, I suppose...

Last edited:
Reactions: MS and y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Very well said............looking forward to 2-3 years from now when people can start to see the big picture.........for some reason it's escaping a lot of them atm.

You mean 2-3 years from now when (you think) the team will be competitive (realistically this team is now 5-6 years away), and they're paying two useless 4th liners at that point $3M per year and they can't move them? That big picture?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm taking my cue from some of the more seasoned posters on the board like yourself.............Repeat narrative......Support/hate Benning..........Repeat narrative.........casually attempt to insult posters by demonstrating my intelligence.........Support/hate Benning.......Pretty simple it seems like? Or have I missed something?

Not me my good man. Unlike you I actually articulate my points. You seem limited to telling everyone they’re either depressed or overreacting and then some nonsensical hashtags for cultural relevance.

Reactions: Morenz

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Yeah Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser aren't going to be beat up this year by other teams. Good signings, although I agree that the term is too long. Gives more offense time to younger players too. Great for Bo, who has been started in both ends of the ice, can now start more in the ozone. I wanna see Bo think about offense more than he already does

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So Tobias Reider will sign a 1 year deal for $2M in Edmonton, or Brodziak 2 years $2.3M total, but it would take a multi-year $10+M contract to have convinced them to come to Vancouver?

It should be pretty simple. These bottom tier players are going to make relatively little, they need to sign for as much term and $$$ as they can get when they can get it. Just using the Edmonton two for example look at the gap from what they got to what we paid Beagle and Roussel, and we should have been able to snatch them away for anything inbetween.

Matt Martin in TO, wouldn't be surprised if he can be had with Toronto throwing in a 3rd/4th.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not happy about 4 years - I don't think we should have given 4 year terms to anyone. I can only theorize that's what had to be done to get players he liked here. I think 4 years for Beagle was excessive but not quite the disaster everyone was hoping for. I kinda disagree on the signings and amounts - it's not the calamity that everyone is making it seem to be.........but hey I get it's more enjoyable to be upset so carry on.......

How can you honestly look at these contracts, compare them to what other players signed for, and suggest these are good contracts?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

But it was on your list of 5 improvements. You said you expected July 1 to be quiet. Clearly that’s not the case. Can you give me a new #5 to replace it?

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Well I mean you *can* post anything you want. I’m just saying your assumptions seem a fair bit off and not entirely reasonable.

No, my assumptions *were* completely unreasonable, which was the point. A seven year big money deal for Bozak (or Jack Johnson or whatever overrated player strikes your fancy) is patently ludicrous and if something like that had happened it would leave management in a mess.

As it happens, I think the deals today (in isolation) aren’t the end of the world and can be worked around, I just have no faith in management to do the job.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser aren't going to be beat up this year by other teams. Good signings, although I agree that the term is too long. Gives more offense time to younger players too. Great for Bo, who has been started in both ends of the ice, can now start more in the ozone. I wanna see Bo think about offense more than he already does

Or, you know, they could have signed someone like Kyle Brodziak for 3 times cheaper than Jay Beagle and done the same thing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I expect they'll be beat up just as much as they would have before these signings.

Reactions: Canucks5551

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

They’re not gonna be beat up because ... why? Schaller will get on the ice for 10 minutes a night and keep everyone honest?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Or, you know, they could have signed someone like Kyle Brodziak for 3 times cheaper than Jay Beagle and done the same thing.
Yeah but didn't you know nobody will dare make body contract with a canuck player for the entire season because we have Jay Beagle on the team!!!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No, my assumptions *were* completely unreasonable, which was the point. A seven year big money deal for Bozak (or Jack Johnson or whatever overrated player strikes your fancy) is patently ludicrous and if something like that had happened it would leave management in a mess.

As it happens, I think the deals today (in isolation) aren’t the end of the world and can be worked around, I just have no faith in management to do the job.

I agree management is a tire fire. I don’t think Bozak would have required more than 2x the term to sign here if we’d been in the running. Probably a bit extra money makes sense (+1M), but likely the same term.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Not me my good man. Unlike you I actually articulate my points. You seem limited to telling everyone they’re either depressed or overreacting and then some nonsensical hashtags for cultural relevance.

You are right.......I never take the time to explain my points.........It's all physcho babble nonsense that supports Benning........ultimately stemming mostly from a place of insecurity which manifests itself as me trying to show how intelligent I am which unfortunately across as nothing more than mindlessly supported statements..........got it......

#guiltyascharged

Reactions: Warh1ppy

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You are right.......I never take the time to explain my points.........It's all physcho babble nonsense that supports Benning........ultimately stemming mostly from a place of insecurity which manifests itself as me trying to show how intelligent I am which unfortunately across as nothing more than mindlessly supported statements..........got it......

#guiltyascharged

Beautiful.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Looks like we should prepare for a flood of shot attempts on the Canucks net whenever Beagle gets sent out on the penalty kill.

Among centres who played at least 150 PK minutes last season, Beagle ranks 27/27 in terms of shot attempts/60, and 26/27 in terms of unblocked shot attempts/60.

At least this should help #LoseForHughes2019, I suppose...

Relevant tweet.

Reactions: MS and y2kcanucks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad