GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
No I'm suspecting Goldobin won't make the team. Even he could send Gaudette down to Utica, or Pettersson.

Virtanen is the same. Could be penciled in to the 2nd line, could be traded or moved down in the roster.

Where would you slot in Goldobin if he doesn't make the top 6? 4th line?

You realize trying to send Goldy to Utica is losing him right?

So lets trade Virtanen or send him to Utica after he improved his game, is the fastest forward on a painfully slow team and is the only forward that hits on a painfully soft team.

Reactions: Hit the post

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I disagree with the position that the UFA acquisitions make the team tougher to play against.

Unless the line-up changes with trades between now and the beginning of the season, the Canucks are going to have one line and one line only that can be counted on to score. Two lines, those centred by Sutter and Beagle, will pose very little offensive threat at all.

A team that doesn't have possession and puts out only one line that the opposition needs to worry about stopping from scoring is not hard to play against; it's the opposite.

Got a lead on the Canucks? Ice your best defensive pairing and your strongest defensive forward line against the Horvat line. Then relax.

Reactions: MS

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Am I the only one that does not like the fact that we signed that piece of shit Antoinne Rousel. There is literally not a single free agent signing or trade acquisition in four years that I have liked but this takes the cake. I will not cheer for that gutless puke. f*** this team

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Exactly, and I have hated quite a lot they have done but today isn't even close to an issue for me.

Frankly I'd rather have Roussel and Beagle than Eriksson for the same money.

Problem is we have both thanks to Benning. It just keeps getting worse.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Granlund and Leipsic need to be moved. They weren't pushed out by Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller, they just have no potential as NHL players. They don't have the size, versatility, or skill that these 3 players have, and never will. They are not young enough that we can say they have potential, they are 24/25.

The prospects we need to focus our attention on is Pettersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette. Virtanen and Boeser are also important. These 5 have potential to be high-end, not Granlund and Leipsic. When you look at it from this perspective, I like Roussel and Beagle for 3M, they're quality players that are good in a bottom 6 role. Schaller was impressive in the playoffs and if he can play like Dorsett at that salary, I like it.
I think Leipsic will make it to Utica before Boucher or Goldobin just because of his small size.....

Feb 24, 2017
Canucks fans in therapy for feelings of inadequacy resulting from benning on ufa and deadline days
07F155FC-18E2-4279-BFDD-4477C4775230.gif

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Seriously....Jimbo and the Canucks dramatically overpaid for Sbsia, Dorsett, Sutter, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Gagner and Eriksson...why should the latest UFA signings be any different? Obviously Gaunce, Goldobin and Boucher will have to be dispatched to Utica, and will require waivers to get there....not too sure any of them will make it, although Gaunce and Boucher have been on waivers before.

The spin from the Canucks braintrust is that if the kids come in and outplay the veterans in training camp, they'll start the season with them. But we all know that isn't happening...it would mean $11m in contracts for guys like Gagner, Eriksson and Del Zotto in the minors.

Its a complete lie from Benning. Eriksson and Gagner never sit no matter how little goals or effort they put out.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
You realize trying to send Goldy to Utica is losing him right?

So lets trade Virtanen or send him to Utica after he improved his game, is the fastest forward on a painfully slow team and is the only forward that hits on a painfully soft team.

LOL apparently you can't read, I had Virtanen as a 2nd line option, or a 3rd line option OR a potential to move (about 4th or 5th likely) if it's needed.

Maybe Goldobin sticks. I have no idea why you'd gift him a top 6 spot after going -14 with mediocre numbers. He'll be battling it out with 19 and 20 year olds for the same spots.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow, a surprising number of ex-Canuck farmhands picked up on day one of Free Agency....Jordan Subban to the Leafs/Marlies; Dowd replaces Beagle with the Caps; Anton Rodin signs in Anaheim; and Chaput lands in Montreal.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I disagree with the position that the UFA acquisitions make the team tougher to play against.

Unless the line-up changes with trades between now and the beginning of the season, the Canucks are going to have one line and one line only that can be counted on to score. Two lines, those centred by Sutter and Beagle, will pose very little offensive threat at all.

A team that doesn't have possession and puts out only one line that the opposition needs to worry about stopping from scoring is not hard to play against; it's the opposite.

Got a lead on the Canucks? Ice your best defensive pairing and your strongest defensive forward line against the Horvat line. Then relax.

The Canucks will be incredibly easy to shut down next year. And very painful to watch. Again.

Shame is everyone was on board with going with youth and taking the growing pains. Every other NHL team isn't afraid to go young in a young, fast league but here we have to have shitty veterans lead us to the bottom every year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leading up to and including today

Bozak
JVR
Holden
Couture
Cole
Hjalmarrson
McDonagh
Reeves
Green

The extensions by and large were not bad, but as always GMs overpaid slightly again. Once again though, we're a team without a solid shot at winning for 3+ years so much like the Jets, Oilers and Isles had too in the recent past we had to slightly pay a shade more than we should have.

But again, a lot of meh unless it's really important to you. Which, on Canada day...let's be honest. It shouldn't be

For some of the guys you listed I was talking about the UFA frenzy, not teams extending their star players to market value contracts. In terms of top six players I'd say the high bar was set two years ago with the Lucic/Ladd/Eriksson/Backes group. Nothing today exceeded that, JVR came close but he's younger and/or signed to a shorter term. That's the general context here for that group here, top six players like JVR/Bozak/Statsny/Perron signing to reasonable 3-5 year terms.

In terms of 4th line or bottom six forwards though, the Canucks have clearly set the high bar with in both $$$ and term with Beagle and Roussel. The only player that joins them here is Komarov. Otherwise if you look at the term+value for Vanek, Plekanec, Comeau, Reider, Nichushkin, Grabner, Brodziak, and Nash it's nowhere close.

We'd be better off if we just stopped with Tim Schaller, who was given a reasonable contract.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wouldn’t be surprised if Roussel turns into a popular player here.. Cooke had a lot of fans in Vancouver...
meh, starting **** on the ice so another teammate has to fight his battles. Like Vigneault liked that type of player. And that was BEFORE he became a cheapshot artist on the ice (he was the original Brad Marchand).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
By the time you are paying Pettersson all these contracts will be over or nearly over.

Benning has been signing these types of contracts for 5 years now, when exactly do you think they'll be over? his gets said when we sign Sutter, Gagner, etc, but that can just keeps getting kicked down the road every summer.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So if I can parse the steaming pile that is our roster, it seems to look something like this:

Line 1 aka “the elite kids”

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Line 2 aka “the learners + the Franchise”

Leipsic Sutter Pettersson

Line 3 aka “the garbage we can’t trade away”

Granlund Gagner Eriksson

Line 4 aka “the elite mentorpede”

Roussel Beagle Schaller

The leftovers:

Goldobin - can’t go to Utica
Virtanen - can’t really go to Utica
Motte - can go to Utica
Gaunce - can’t go to Utica

Also assumes Gaudette and Dahlen head down to Utica for the upcoming season.

Am I forgetting anyone? Seems like we need to trade at least 2 players or else block Goldobin and Virtanen for the upcoming year. Most likely candidates seem to be Granlund and probably Goldobin to be shipped out.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
At this point, I wouldn't be opposed to Aquilini selling the team to Seattle... and then a new owner purchase an expansion team license where new ownership and new management can start again from the very beginning. This is more additions to an overall renovation that has gone terribly wrong.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
My theory:

I’m thinking Benning panicked after hearing about what Reaves got and knowing that many teams were interested in Beagle/Roussel.

I’m guessing he was expecting that the entire market would be inflated so he caved into Beagle and Roussel’s demands since they were his main targets and he figured he’d have to overpay to get someone so he decided to overpay his Plan A options.

But after seeing some of the other deals signed later today(Grabner, Bozak, Perron, Rieder, etc), it’s clear that he jumped the gun, especially considering the NTC’s fit both and SB for Beagle

Orrrr...

He knew the market and ballpark figures of the other players but just simply overvalued these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad