GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If Sutter isnt moved now, this will be depressing

He is penciled in the as the #2 centre. Never mind that in his 9 year career he has never had more than 20 assists and is an offensive black hole. This incompetent management loves him. He isn't going anywhere.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He is penciled in the as the #2 centre. Never mind that in his 9 year career he has never had more than 20 assists and is an offensive black hole. This incompetent management loves him. He isn't going anywhere.
The sad thing is, I think he was having a fairly good season where he belong...as the checking centre.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Looks like the Canucks are following what the Maple leafs do a few seasons ago. Stuff all of their prospects in Utica for a AHL season of learning together. Not sure if the nucks will tank all the way to #1 OA pick. Good plan and next year the Canucks fans will reap the rewards just like the leafs are currently doing.

I can see the prospects getting called up for stints and then again at the trade deadline when they can move out some players.

Just curious. What players do you see moved out at the trade deadline? Not Edler he wont move. Any players on good term that contenders might actually want?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Just waiting for Benning to parrot Tambellini when he signed Belanger and talk about how Beagle and Roussel insisted on the longer contracts and the NTCs not because they wanted money or control, but so they could ensure that they could be here when the team turns into something special.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
That isn’t very encouraging.....like at least he only farted instead of doing a #2 in his pants. At least there’s the prospects to look forward to...hope they don’t bolt for greener pastures the first chance they get.
Oh I think these acquisitions qualify as sharts.......

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
That's what I am seeing too.

Not sure what people are seeing that I am missing, unless there are people who think the Canucks will be cup contenders in the next 3 years.

Nope. Hopeing for Hughes, Lafreniere, etc in the next couple of years and a couple more top 10 picks.

Where are players going to play in 2019/20 if they excel in Utica this year? Given that the roster is thoroughly clogged with mediocre, unmovable veterans on bad contracts?

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Just waiting for Benning to parrot Tambellini when he signed Belanger and talk about how Beagle and Roussel insisted on the longer contracts and the NTCs not because they wanted money or control, but so they could ensure that they could be here when the team turns into something special.

To be fair the Canucks have one thing going for them the Oilers did not, at any time: Goaltending.

Demko is going to be very good.

We're 3-5 years out still but I could see Beagle and Roussel being part of a decent enough team to take a cup crack.

Couple more top 10 picks and the Canucks will have a solid pool to work with. Need a couple great d-men.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Man at least Gillis gave out clauses for previous contracts coming out as under value or as a way to get players for less $$. Benning just gives them out alongside bonus laden contracts when he's got a player in his sites he can't lose.

Speaking of cap space and Gillis, I’m much more worried about the potential 8 million dollar cap penalty if Luongo retires a year before his deal is over.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
To be fair the Canucks have one thing going for them the Oilers did not, at any time: Goaltending.

We're 3-5 years out still but I could see Beagle and Roussel being part of a decent enough team to take a cup crack.

Couple more top 10 picks and the Canucks will have a solid pool to work with. Need a couple great d-men.
Lounge was darn good too on those early Panther teams...they were still awful teams.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I wonder if we will even get one good year of out of these four year contracts?

Judging by Benning's last 2 free agency works I would say no. Eriksson sucked from day 1 as did Gagner.

Pretty sad when you are signing long term contracts that are just plain brutal from day 1.

Ferraro held up his cell phone on TSN today and said "Benning needs to lose this on July 1"

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Where are players going to play in 2019/20 if they excel in Utica this year? Given that the roster is thoroughly clogged with mediocre, unmovable veterans on bad contracts?

It's not.

The Canucks have Horvat and Beartshi in the top 6 and then Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle in the bottom 6.

The other contracts end after the 2019/20 season (Gagner/Schaller).

That's 4 top 6 spots (3 minimum) and 2 or 3 bottom 6 spots always up for grabs.

I don't know how you think you could have more than half of your forwards as under 22 year olds.

Once Boeser is re-signed you still effectively have a whole open line for Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind etc etc to battle over.

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
Eriksson ($6m) - Sutter ($4.375m) - Gagner ($3.15m) <--- 12.525 Million dollar 3rd line
Roussel ($3m) - Beagle ($3m) - Schaller ($1.9m) <--- 7.9 Million dollar 4th line

We are now spending 20.425 Million dollars on our bottom 6

Add 7 Million dollars from Gudbranson and Del Zotto.

Y-I-K-E-S gentleman Y-I-K-E-S

This is reason enough to fire Benning on the spot. 27.425 mil on bottom 6 and the 5 and 6 defender (though lets be honest Guddy shouldn't be in the league.) That leaves 52 mil for your top 6, top 4 and 2 goaltenders. An average of 4.34 million a player. How do they think any team could win in this league like that? Many teams will have 16-20 mil tied up in their best 2 players which isn't unreasonable. If Pettersson has a Boeser-esque impact and Boeser improves on last year then we could be looking at 15 mil plus Horvat with many of these guys under contract. And for what? We didn't get any draft picks, these aren't other teams crappy contracts.

Benning seemed to indicate they chased grit as the young guys will provide the offense but where are they going to play? You can fill the entire roster with guys over 24 except Horvat and Boeser. Are we really going to scratch Gagner and Eriksson and more to play the kids?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
People like to whine though. So let them i guess.

It's just kinda sad people refuse to see how positive the future looks

Well I have reservations due to some of the choices but some of the people involved seem competent. Our USHL and NCAA scouting seems pretty solid.

The Canucks really did need depth in those 3rd and 4th lines that would take the top 2 lines away from the young guys.

I don't see the issue.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I agree that a) the day could have gone worse (Bozak and Jack Johnson given seven years each) and b) that these decisions are relatively low stakes, but as it stands, the people in charge of the team in 3 years will be the same guys in charge the past 4. That doesn’t fill me with confidence.
bozak got 3 years at $5m. I don't like Bozak but I'd take that over either Roussel or Beagle's deals, at least Bozak can play with skilled players.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yepp thats the thing..Now is the time to move out the Grandlunds and Gagners and Sutters..God that Eriksson contract still sucks..But how can these kids get into this line up..This managment team just blows my mind in there thinking.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

The Canucks had to bring in some toughness, mission accomplished. It's obvious that only a couple -3 prospects are even good enough to crack a NHL lineup. Pettersson, maybe Gaudette. That's about it. Dahlen isn't ready as well as all of the others sent to Utica last spring. Green is definitely not the type to put kids in a lineup that are not ready. Most will take at minimum 2 seasons to develop.

I can see loosing a guy or two on waivers trying to get them to Utica. Goldobin and Boucher would be my guess..

Nucks fans need to calm down and let these players develop properly....

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think he was sub 15 points last year.

I rarely chime in here anymore because any comment based on fact is essentially shouted down and attacked because how dare a person be objective without being a fan boy or the like.

I like where this team is headed. Others don't.
I can see where this team will be in 3 years, others cannot see past the 3 we just had.

it is what it is, not a terrible day at all honestly. Could have been much much worse
*cough Eriksson cough*

Not the point.

I also like some of our prospects. What happens if the timeline is sped up suddenly? (No I do not expect this to happen). What if we need to actually start surrounding the young guys with complementary pieces in two years?

A good GM does good practices. All the time. You don't take a season off, or sign a string of people to overpayments because you might have cap space. You don't give out contracts that can't be flipped for other assets (picks or otherwise).

Because if EP is rookie of the year somehow and we have to pivot, now we have a number of guys who are difficult to turn into other assets that might be important. If more and more rookies step up, they are blocked by borderline useful vets.

If these moves had the term right, there wouldn't be an issue. But they're yet another example of poor management. You can find media criticism of almost all Benning's moves, not just on this forum. When every move has questionable aspects to it, why should I as a fan take it on faith that the manager knows what he's doing?

Let's say Beagle is really a great leader. Give him his bonuses (but no NTC) for two years. But hardball Roussel. And if they're a fit for where the team is in two years, then re-sign them for another two years. That's simple asset management.

Even if they are doing the Leafs/Marlies thing, why do they need to sign these guys to 4 year deals? Yes, it happens that their deals end roughly when we might need to pay some guys. But that doesn't make the individual decisions justifiable as actual skilled GM work, and Jim doesn't have a body of work that gives him currency.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The Canucks had to bring in some toughness, mission accomplished. It's obvious that only a couple -3 prospects are even good enough to crack a NHL lineup. Pettersson, maybe Gaudette. That's about it. Dahlen isn't ready as well as all of the others sent to Utica last spring. Green is definitely not the type to put kids in a lineup that are not ready. Most will take at minimum 2 seasons to develop.

I can see loosing a guy or two on waivers trying to get them to Utica. Goldobin and Boucher would be my guess..

Nucks fans need to calm down and let these players develop properly....

How do you know how training camp is going to play out? The point is if a kid surprises and earns it there is no room. Sure no problem lets just lose Goldobin on waivers for nothing so we can watch Eriksson, Gagner float around and do nothing with impunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad