GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
How did Riley Nash only get 2.75 mil per over 3 years. He outscored rousell and beagle combined.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I like the Beagle signing , maybe a year too long but not bad. I’ll like it more if Sutter is traded.

I remember this sickening Beags moment

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I listed more than 6 players. I gave you a second list.

What you want is a veteran team. That’s what you’re asking for.

You listed 7 players. Biega isn’t making the team again. What I want is a good balance. 3-to-1 and even 4-to-1 of young players to vets isn’t a good balance.

Not to mention, every single one of the 7 veterans on your list, you want off the team!

What YOU ask for is a team of 22 kids. Ridiculous.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Lots of young talent. Canucks are on the rise.

Beagle is a glue guy. He’ll help keep things together.

Trust me, I know the despair and hand wringing going on in Vancouver. I’ve been a Caps fan for 40 years. I’ve seen a lot more downs than ups. Better days are ahead for the Canucks.

Lots of young talent being blocked by horrendous veteran UFA signings over the past few years.

Beagle is perfect for a team on the verge of contention, or one looking for that one last piece. For a team like Vancouver he's completely meaningless and is just another drop in the ocean of bottom-6 players that we have.

I'm sure you'll find it easier to be optimistic about years and years of suffering after your team has won a cup.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if Roussel turns into a popular player here.. Cooke had a lot of fans in Vancouver...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ok Cliff...........feel free to spout off on another sermon that clearly demonstrates your obvious intelligence and moral superiority. I Still haven't heard you mention what you think Benning should have done? (other than eat rat poison and die). I'm dying to hear what your sage suggestions are re where Benning should have spent our FA $$? All I've seen you do is complain and make comments like the above (granted if something is working for you why change it?)

Jesus, it’s not hard. DONT spend $8M for a 4th line on a team that is already loaded with these types of players. If you feel you need to add some depth - which seems to be ALL we do - then add one of these players, but not 3. And if you want to help out the kids, then maybe target someone like David Perron who can actually skate and play with some skill and stick him on Pettersson’s line so he has someone to play with. Or maybe take on a bad contract like Mason and get a kid like Armia who is younger and more skilled than any of the plugs we acquired today.

So many options and I’m not even paid to think of them like Benning inexplicably is. But no, his plan is to take a team that is already slow and unskilled and spends money to fill up the 4th line for the next 4 years because he honestly thinks that will help the kids somehow.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You’ll learn to appreciate Beagle. This guy works as hard as any and he’ll be able to impart his wisdom to the young ‘uns.

Going to miss Beagle. He had a really good playoffs.

You can expect at least 10 goals, 20-25 points and should win around 60% of his faceoffs. He is also excellent on the PK.

High character player. Also, the only player to win an ECHL, AHL and NHL Championship. This guy doesn’t give up.

Will be watching and cheering for Beagle and the Canucks except when they play the Caps. ;)

You are so ruining the two minute hate here...

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
How did Riley Nash only get 2.75 mil per over 3 years. He outscored rousell and beagle combined.
Roussel and Beagle were not signed to increase scoring.
Small, soft, scoring forwards didn't go for much this year.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You can’t be serious. First player to win a ECHL, AHL and NHL championship.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Beagle:
“Well Elias, the first thing you need to do is become an elite goal scoring winger, say 50-60 goals for the next decade. Then tell your GM to find a pair of elite centres, draft the top scoring defenseman in the NHL, draft a Vezina winning goalie, build up tons of skilled depth up and down your line up. Then have a guy like me play 12 minutes a game and win some face offs. THAT’S how you become a winner my son.”

Pettersson:
“...”

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Signing 4th liners over 3 yrs to over 3 million is not even surprising given this incompetent management's past moves. Par for the course.

We're all Masos here being Canucks fans. Seattle expansion team where art thou.

Nichuskin a young top 6 potential big size winger got 3 million for a few years. Lets let that sink in.

Linden's retirement jersey should be taken off the rafters and he be booted back to Medicine Hat. Take Benning with him.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Any guesses which Vancouver media members will carry water for Linden and Benning on this? Ed Willes? Iain MacIntyre?

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I think this is one of the few sane posts on this board today. Well done.
Will still get me chewed the hell out by the I hate everything crowd. but here's our next few years worth of cap

Vancouver Canucks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Our next major RFA contracts are laughably Hutton Pouliot Granlund Demko Goldobin and Boeser in 2019/2020 at which point we will have 13 roster spots signed with $34.549 million in cap space (without factoring cap raise). UFA's we lose to met that cap amount are elder Del Zotto and Dorsett. We won't really be throwing a ton of cash at those names outside of maybe Boeser and Demko

For 2020/2021 only Dahlen Brisebois Gaudette while losing Tanev/Gagner/Markstrom and having 7 spots signed with $49.458 million in cap space (without factoring in cap raise)

Then the big one in 2021/2022 where our big RFA crop is Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Petterson, while losing Gudbranson/Baertschi/Sutter to UFA and having a projected $74 million in cap space with only 1 person signed thereafter.

I look at those names, the potential cap space and the signings last and this year and see a pattern that fits exactly where this team is going in terms of available spots, cap space and contract amounts. Many of those names outside of Boeser, Demko, Petterson will not be making north of $3.5 million on their first contracts so essentially we're watching a management group doing little more than buying literal time.

I know I'll get flamed 6 ways from Sunday on this but it's true. This is not factoring in any cap raises or potential trades let alone the Seattle expansion or new potential CBA issues and any potential new compliance buyouts that will result from them.

All in all, I see little to no reason to worry at all. There is a pattern that seems to fit a definitive timeline with Ericsson being the only ? and even that ? is something that fits that timeline nearly perfectly

So again.

Meh

Reactions: alternate

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You are so ruining the two minute hate here...

I wonder if his perspective is all at influenced by being the fan of a Stanley Cup winning team and not the fan of a bottom 5 flaming car wreck?

I’ll let you chew on that one for a bit, see what you come up with.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ok time to log off–hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Canada Day and we can forget about how awful this franchise is right now.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Will still get me chewed the hell out by the I hate everything crowd. but here's our next few years worth of cap

Our next major RFA contracts are laughably Hutton Pouliot Granlund Demko Goldobin and Boeser in 2019/2020 at which point we will have 13 roster spots signed with $34.549 million in cap space (without factoring cap raise). UFA's we lose to met that cap amount are elder Del Zotto and Dorsett. We won't really be throwing a ton of cash at those names outside of maybe Boeser and Demko

For 2020/2021 only Dahlen Brisebois Gaudette while losing Tanev/Gagner/Markstrom and having 7 spots signed with $49.458 million in cap space (without factoring in cap raise)

Then the big one in 2021/2022 where our big RFA crop is Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Petterson, while losing Gudbranson/Baertschi/Sutter to UFA and having a projected $74 million in cap space with only 1 person signed thereafter.

I look at those names, the potential cap space and the signings last and this year and see a pattern that fits exactly where this team is going in terms of available spots, cap space and contract amounts. Many of those names outside of Boeser, Demko, Petterson will not be making north of $3.5 million on their first contracts so essentially we're watching a management group doing little more than buying literal time.

I know I'll get flamed 6 ways from Sunday on this but it's true. This is not factoring in any cap raises or potential trades let alone the Seattle expansion or new potential CBA issues and any potential new compliance buyouts that will result from them.

All in all, I see little to no reason to worry at all. There is a pattern that seems to fit a definitive timeline with Ericsson being the only ? and even that ? is something that fits that timeline nearly perfectly

So again.

Meh

So the best thing people can say about Benning is meh? Like, thats the most consistent defence of him on here. I can't believe, after 4 god damn years, and mediocre signings, the most people can do to defend this is "meh".

I guess I want more out of a GM then meh.

Reactions: brokenhole and Red

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018

So again.

Meh

Finally someone that can see the big picture here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad