GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Pretty much. You could buy it out after the 19-20 season and get the cap hit down to 1.5M but there would still be a 2.5M cap hit in year 4 and then two more years at 500k after that.

Absolutely gross. There was no reason for Jay Beagle to get any of his contract through signing bonuses. Jesus Christ, Jim.

It's almost sad watching agents play Benning like a fiddle in negotiations. They know once he locks in on someone he likes they can just keep driving the price upwards.

Reactions: MS

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Do you think hockey fandom resembles many things in real life?

Like, when you see fans dressed up in face paint and with foam pucks on their head do you ask yourself “I wonder if these people dress up like this to go to work?”

Because it’s getting hard to tell if you actually believe any of the stupid crap you write on these boards.

Ok Cliff...........feel free to spout off on another sermon that clearly demonstrates your obvious intelligence and moral superiority. I Still haven't heard you mention what you think Benning should have done? (other than eat rat poison and die). I'm dying to hear what your sage suggestions are re where Benning should have spent our FA $$? All I've seen you do is complain and make comments like the above (granted if something is working for you why change it?)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I mean literally the first thing I thought when I heard about the Beagle contract was that the new GM will be buying that out in June.

Jim actually made it so that's not possible. Incredible. Absolutely astonishing, the level of sheer stupidity at the helm.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
That the preponderance of posters on this board are individuals who aren't happy unless they are unhappy with management and assuming the worst.......often in an overly dramatic way? Got it - fully aware of those facts yes thanks..........

Two constants in hockey fandom:

1. People on sports radio call in shows saying the backup goaltender should be the starter.

2. People on hockey forums are more vocal when things are going poorly. It’s about the only upshot to having a poorly run team. A fair few of the longtime posters here were relatively quiet through the cup contention years (except to debate Luongo/Schneider), probably because there are only so many ways to say, “man, remember when we signed Dan Hamhuis and traded for Christian Ehrhoff? Still awesome.”

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
The common theme between this and last years signings is term.

Almost all ending between 2020 and 2022 or right about the point in time our young kids will need extensions or new contracts. The lack of NTCs is also not a bad thing either.

This is a whole lotta meh right now and as always shows that GMs cannot control themselves. But judging by the contracts handed out in the last 24 hours JB certainly didn't go as overboard as some did.

You may now tell me exactly why I am wrong and how nobody can be positive without being a homer or fan boy

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So you admit that the only department excelling is the one that has literally the least amount of impact and influence from the General Manager?

Lol you think they'd trade Sutter because we just made him redundant–85% of the roster is redundant and they absolutely refuse to trade a single NHLer for a pick. Dude they're trying to compete. Again.

Yeah imagine that............a GM trying to improve his team? And compete? Go figure............What is this world coming to?

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Thank God we signed Jay Beagle to teach Elias Pettersson how to win. Kid is a born loser who has never won anything.
actually, Pettersson has had a good bit of success in his young career.

No success in the NHL yet though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Listening to Ferraro on TSN, he does not like the term on the two signings today..at all.

Claims that the Canucks have incredible talent,and the team is on the upswing which we will see in the next couple years.

Reactions: THE Green Man

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah imagine that............a GM trying to improve his team? And compete? Go figure............What is this world coming to?

Ok, so let's just take the premise of: Jim Benning is trying to improve the team and compete and then take a look at the the last 3 years culmulative standings.

Reactions: Jack Burton

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
There isn't going to be much winning going on while Jay is here. He's not surrounded with a deep, elite team, like he has been in Washington. The situation in Vancouver is dire.

Lots of young talent. Canucks are on the rise.

Beagle is a glue guy. He’ll help keep things together.

Trust me, I know the despair and hand wringing going on in Vancouver. I’ve been a Caps fan for 40 years. I’ve seen a lot more downs than ups. Better days are ahead for the Canucks.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You listed 6 players, 3 of which aren’t all that vocal or active leaders. MDZ, okay maybe. Biega is a career AHLer / 7th defender.

That’s still not enough. Do you remember how clueless you were about life in your late teens and early 20s? How can you have a team full of guys like that outnumbering true veterans 3-to-1 and expect maintain a professional workmanlike winning culture?

I listed more than 6 players. I gave you a second list.

What you want is a veteran team. That’s what you’re asking for.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
The common theme between this and last years signings is term.

Almost all ending between 2020 and 2022 or right about the point in time our young kids will need extensions or new contracts. The lack of NTCs is also not a bad thing either.

This is a whole lotta meh right now and as always shows that GMs cannot control themselves. But judging by the contracts handed out in the last 24 hours JB certainly didn't go as overboard as some did.

You may now tell me exactly why I am wrong and how nobody can be positive without being a homer or fan boy
I think this is one of the few sane posts on this board today. Well done.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Care to point out exactly who went more overboard than Jim Benning today? Aside from Vancouver this has got to be one of the most restrained July 1sts in recent memory.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Ok, so let's just take the premise of: Jim Benning is trying to improve the team and compete and then take a look at the the last 3 years culmulative standings.
The issue with this is that people cannot look forward to the future at all. Only the now or the then.

The future for this 47 year fan is brighter than it ever has been. These signings are a lot of meh. The kids will play, the meat will grind it out and we won't have to worry about dreary boring hockey as much anymore.

The term on these guys is the only concern and even that isn't so bad when you consider it fits the timeline perfectly for the kids we have who will need new contracts in 2-4 years.

We weren't landing anyone else this off season anyways so again.

Meh

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
“Maybe (Travis Green) can play (Sutter) up and down the lineup with better offensive players,” Benning said. “(Green) has options there.”
“Yeah, if you look at the numbers, the analytics, (Sutter) almost started every time in the defensive zone,” Benning said. “So adding Jay to our team will take some of the pressure off him because Jay can do that too.
“Maybe Sutter gets more offensive zone starts.
“It will be up to Travis as to how he wants to deploy his guys but that gives him options.”
Imagine believing that they'll move Sutter... You are living in a pipedream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad