GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Well in the context of what I posted about trading Sutter and Gagne and getting rid of our other riff raft today's moves make a lot more sense now don't they? Benning and Green both wanted our team to get tougher and grittier. I would say todays signings accomplished that.

Honest question: how will you feel about the moves if they don't trade Sutter or Gagner, or anyone else, and they lose a couple of younger players on waivers, such as Gaunce, Goldobin, Leipsic, Granlund, etc.?

Put another way -- if they in fact manage to deal Sutter or Gagner for picks of almost any sort, I'd be pleased and much less critical of the moves. Would you, on the other hand, be less pleased and more critical if they fail to do so?

Reactions: pgj98m3

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well in the context of what I posted about trading Sutter and Gagne and getting rid of our other riff raft today's moves make a lot more sense now don't they? Benning and Green both wanted our team to get tougher and grittier. I would say todays signings accomplished that.

Stop making things up and accept the facts for what they are.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Overpayment is the only way to sign vets now. After taxes and the insanity of this fanbase, you are going to pay a premium to get guys here.

But, I have an issue with Benning in that in 4 years with the team, he hasn't shown that he is capable of moving on from a mistake contract. Everyone on the roster now, except Edler, he either signed the contract or acquired it via trade.

The only player he sent out who had term on his deal, that he acquired was Bonino, who was sent to Pitt.

All others like Bartkowski, Prust, Vrbata, basically played out their contracts with the Canucks. He flipped Holm to Leipsic.

So, we haven't seen him demonstrate the he's willing to get rid of one of his guys yet.

If Gaudette and Goldobin play well in pre-season, do they get spots on the roster ahead of Gagner, if Sam does nothing during his 4 pre-season games?

That will be a test for the GM should the kids play well.

They are at $66.6 million with stecher and Virtanen to sign, which should take up to $4 million total.

So, at the end, this team will sit around $72.5 million salary cap. Not sure why they need to be only $7 million under the cap. Should be double digits IMO. Nothing they signed changes the needle much.

I tend to agree - however if he trades Sutter and gets rid of Gagne does that perhaps change things at all?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
No these aren't good signings.

Darren Archibald scored 8 fewer points than Roussel last season despite playing in 46 fewer games. Yet you're fine with that?

Why do you act as if Archibald would be "the veteran mentor" in the room? Isn't that what we're paying Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner, and Gudbranson to do? What about Tanev and Edler? Why are we keeping them around? How many veterans do you need?

You could only name 6 players out of a 22 man roster but realistically with injuries there will be around 30 guys playing this season. Plus half of those players future with the team is uncertain. How many veterans do you need? More than 6 freaking for sure.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok i need to visualize this for myself. so,

LW

baertschi (3 more years, at who knows?)
roussel (4 years, $3-3.25 mill)
tim schaller (2 years, $1.9 mill)
pettersson (utica?)
leispic (bye?)
goldobin (bye?)
dahlen (utica)

C

horvat
sutter (3 more years, $4.375 mill)
beagle (4 years, $3 mill)
gaudette (utica?)
gaunce (bye?)
motte (utica?)

RW

boeser
eriksson (4 more years, $6 mill)
gagner (2 more years, $3.15 mill)
virtanen
lind (utica)
palmu (utica)

and granlund (back for $1.45 mill) at one of the fwd positions.

and so just accounting for all the guys who can't possibly be moved or sent down, the opening day roster will look like:

baertschi horvat boeser
roussel sutter eriksson
schaller beagle gagner
someone someone and granlund somewhere

that's two roster spots for gaunce, virtanen, leipsic, motte, pettersson, gaudette, and maybe if they show something lind, dahlen, and palmu.

man, that was a fast rebuild.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Honest question: how will you feel about the moves if they don't trade Sutter or Gagner, or anyone else, and they lose a couple of younger players on waivers, such as Gaunce, Goldobin, Leipsic, Granlund, etc.?

Put another way -- if they in fact manage to deal Sutter or Gagner for picks of almost any sort, I'd be pleased and much less critical of the moves. Would you, on the other hand, be less pleased and more critical if they fail to do so?
I’d be very upset if we didn’t trade one of Gagner/Sutter

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Lol - nice try - Wiling to change that to this season..........I said they are trying to trade him - ideally that would happen before the season starts. I'm thinking waiting to see how FA shakes out then approaching the teams that are in need and missed out. Personally I hope this happens just so 97/100 comments aren't about what an idiot our GM is........Gawd that **** gets tiresome..........it often seems that many on this board are soo stuck on this narrative that they cheer louder when Benning does something that they don't agree with than when he does something that's obviously good for the club.........

So no then? Benning’s “plan” isn’t to trade Sutter? Just more wind being posted by you I guess.

Reactions: Jack Burton

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I tend to agree - however if he trades Sutter and gets rid of Gagne does that perhaps change things at all?
Praying the last two posters could be right....Beagle signed as a 'replacement' for Sutter, who instead of moving up to second-line center gets dealt for prospects or picks with better scoring potential....this opens up the middle for Gaudette or Pettersson. And if they could find a new home for Gagner, I'd actually be feeling pretty positive that there was 'actually a plan all along'.

But then this is Jimbo and the Canucks we're talking about here.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Sorry, have you heard somewhere that they are being traded? Or are you saying that, in the theoretical event that certain players are traded, these signings make sense? Because no one has been traded yet, and I see no indication that they are going to be. Yes, lots can happen between now and the season, but we cannot say that these are good signings based upon the possibility that other players might get moved. We can gauge that if and when other players are moved. But we can still argue that the term given to Roussel and Beagle suggests Benning's negotiation skills lack a certain, oh, I don't know, basic functioning intelligence.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
This can't be stressed enough.

Jim Benning signed 33 year old 4th line plug Jay Beagle to a 4 year contract that is buyout-proof.

You can't make this **** up. My low expectations have been shattered.

You’ll learn to appreciate Beagle. This guy works as hard as any and he’ll be able to impart his wisdom to the young ‘uns.

Going to miss Beagle. He had a really good playoffs.

You can expect at least 10 goals, 20-25 points and should win around 60% of his faceoffs. He is also excellent on the PK.

High character player. Also, the only player to win an ECHL, AHL and NHL Championship. This guy doesn’t give up.

Will be watching and cheering for Beagle and the Canucks except when they play the Caps. ;)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah cus players like Beagel and Roussel were just clamouring to come to a last place club and take less than market value in doing so..........I see............... You do understand how free agency works right?

Was Grabner clamouring to go to Arizona?

Was Ryan clamouring to go to Calgary?

Was Rieder clamouring to go to Edmonton?

C’mon man, at least put some effort into your excuses. Lazy efforts like this are gonna get yer ass fired.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You could only name 6 players out of a 22 man roster but realistically with injuries there will be around 30 guys playing this season. Plus half of those players future with the team is uncertain. How many veterans do you need? More than 6 freaking for sure.

I listed a bunch of old players. You can throw in Horvat, Baertschi, and Hutton as other veterans. Oh, and I forgot about MDZ and Biega.

How many rookies are going to be on the team this year? Boeser as a 2nd year player. Probably Pettersson as a rookie. then who else?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

That's the key. These are his guys. He bought them in. Is he willing to move on from them should the kids show that they are ready for the NHL?

Teams have called on Sutter, now with replacements for him, does Benning pull the trigger? Only LA is capped out after the Kovy signing. He'll have to retain to drop Sutter's cap hit down to $3 million which they can do.

Same with Gagner, if he doesn't deliver, is he willing to move on and deal with the heat from Aquaman?

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

I wouldn't like them then..........we need to clear roster space. Something has to give. I don't want that to be Goldobin or Leipsic.......Granlund and Gaunce sure. I don't want any of our new guys either to take a spot from Gaudette or EP.

Yes I think at this point he needs to trade Sutter. I would love that - not only as it will help our team as we have 2 guys filling the same role but it will also ease some of the whining around here hopefully........

I'm not at all above criticizing management. I guess most people don't notice that as anyone that doesn't fully agree with their narrative must be a blind Benning Boi........not the case here sorry.

They have to do something - the logical move would be Sutter..........

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You’ll learn to appreciate Beagle. This guy works as hard as any and he’ll be able to impart his wisdom to the young ‘uns.

Going to miss Beagle. He had a really good playoffs.

You can expect at least 10 goals, 20-25 points and should win around 60% of his faceoffs. He is also excellent on the PK.

High character player. Also, the only player to win an ECHL, AHL and NHL Championship. This guy doesn’t give up.

Will be watching and cheering for Beagle and the Canucks except when they play the Caps. ;)

Thanks now I’m absolutely pumped to have him on the team. I think a few years down the line when he retires guys like Pettersson and Hughes will be talking about how important he was to their development much in the same way Kesler and the Sedins talked about Sundin’s work ethic and professionalism and the impact it had on their careers.

Reactions: alternate

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I wouldn't like them then..........we need to clear roster space. Something has to give. I don't want that to be Goldobin or Leipsic.......Granlund and Gaunce sure. I don't want any of our new guys either to take a spot from Gaudette or EP.

Yes I think at this point he needs to trade Sutter. I would love that - not only as it will help our team as we have 2 guys filling the same role but it will also ease some of the whining around here hopefully........

I'm not at all above criticizing management. I guess most people don't notice that as anyone that doesn't fully agree with their narrative must be a blind Benning Boi........not the case here sorry.

They have to do something - the logical move would be Sutter..........

I'll believe it when I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad