GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
See - this a prime example of lack of objective thinking..........On one hand the Bashers kick and scream about Sutters contract.........on the other hand if Benning moves on from that contract and replaces it from a just an effective player for 1 mill less a year you will still find a way to indite him for us.

I find it interesting how people think that we shouldn't overpay for anyone in free agency - like we don't have a ton of cap and that better yet - let's lure some decent FA's here by offering them "fair market value" or no term. I heard comments like "Why not sign Neal to a one year contract?" Okkkkk then..........Like who the hell is going to want to come here at present unless they are getting overpaid? "We far overpaid for Roussel and Beagle" Well no **** we did Sherlock......that's pretty much the only way we will get anyone to come here right now.............
I’m confused....you seem to be a Benning supporter but everything you say here only makes him look worse.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah cus players like Beagel and Roussel were just clamouring to come to a last place club and take less than market value in doing so..........I see............... You do understand how free agency works right?
You’re acting like these guys are the cream of the crop. They’re replacement level trash that you’re trying to rationalize as good moves if 13 different scenarios happen afterwards .
Any scenario where you’re overpaying bums is a fail.

Enjoy this mess though. You deserve it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
2 more terrible contracts....wtf

This is Sbisa Dorsett all over again except 33 and 29 vs 25 and 27.

Truly embarrassing to be this desperate when within this season or next both these players should be completely unnecessary.

Reactions: Caspian and geebaan

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The real problem is that Green and Benning think that being soft was our problem.

Here’s a hint: We have waaaaaaay bigger problems. The biggest one being that it isn’t 1979 anymore.

Yeah you think? Like the dearth of high end skill players (thank you Gillis)........or the fact we have 2 top four defensemen and the rest are all 5-8's? Ok Mr. GM - what do you suggest we do to address those as you mentioned much bigger problems? Dying to hear your thoughts.........

I guess you were ok with the lack of pushback from our club then?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah you think? Like the dearth of high end skill players (thank you Gillis)........or the fact we have 2 top four defensemen and the rest are all 5-8's? Ok Mr. GM - what do you suggest we do to address those as you mentioned much bigger problems? Dying to hear your thoughts.........

I guess you were ok with the lack of pushback from our club then?
And there it is!! Deflect!

source.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
See - this a prime example of lack of objective thinking..........On one hand the Bashers kick and scream about Sutters contract.........on the other hand if Benning moves on from that contract and replaces it from a just an effective player for 1 mill less a year you will still find a way to indite him for us.

Overpayment is the only way to sign vets now. After taxes and the insanity of this fanbase, you are going to pay a premium to get guys here.

But, I have an issue with Benning in that in 4 years with the team, he hasn't shown that he is capable of moving on from a mistake contract. Everyone on the roster now, except Edler, he either signed the contract or acquired it via trade.

The only player he sent out who had term on his deal, that he acquired was Bonino, who was sent to Pitt.

All others like Bartkowski, Prust, Vrbata, basically played out their contracts with the Canucks. He flipped Holm to Leipsic.

So, we haven't seen him demonstrate the he's willing to get rid of one of his guys yet.

If Gaudette and Goldobin play well in pre-season, do they get spots on the roster ahead of Gagner, if Sam does nothing during his 4 pre-season games?

That will be a test for the GM should the kids play well.

They are at $66.6 million with stecher and Virtanen to sign, which should take up to $4 million total.

So, at the end, this team will sit around $72.5 million salary cap. Not sure why they need to be only $7 million under the cap. Should be double digits IMO. Nothing they signed changes the needle much.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Here is a complete list of forwards who got 4+ years today:

1) John Tavares
2) Logan Couture
3) James van Riemsdyk
4) David Perron
5) Jay Beagle
6) Antoine Roussel

hmmmmm

It's almost like players would rather play anywhere else isn't it?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
something is off here.

riley nash is coming off a $900k contract at 29. he has never been paid in his career.

if he knowingly turned down over $4 million to play for columbus i will eat my hat. i do not care how bad we are. any journeyman centre in the league takes that kind of money.

so either we wanted beagle and roussel more than him, or nash's agent did a really bad job and nash is choked right now.

Reactions: timw33

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Yeah - I've been told by a friend who regularly converses with Linden that we are trying to trade Sutter...........which was surprising to me but it makes much more sense considering the moves he has made. And there is also potential for a Gagne trade or buyout. If those 2 things happened and we got rid of another or 2 of our roster players that are dead weight all of a sudden one could view that Benning *gasp......actually had a plan and that in the scheme of that plan these signings make a lot more sense. As of now it certainly doesn't appear necessary to have 2 guys (Beagle and Sutter) essentially handling the same role. Sutter for a 2nd? Please and thank-you...........Gagne and a few more random pieces off the team to clear way for some youth? Please and thank-you again......

I wonder what this boards sentiments would be if that actually happened? Perhaps some people could grudgingly accept the fact that Benning isn't quite as horrible as some imagine and that mayybe just mayyyyybe he has half a clue what he is doing.......Just a thought...........
Yep I’ve been told they’re going to trade Sutter also, and I could definitely see Gagner getting traded/buyout

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I find it interesting how people think that we shouldn't overpay for anyone in free agency - like we don't have a ton of cap and that better yet - let's lure some decent FA's here by offering them "fair market value" or no term. I heard comments like "Why not sign Neal to a one year contract?" Okkkkk then..........Like who the hell is going to want to come here at present unless they are getting overpaid? "We far overpaid for Roussel and Beagle" Well no **** we did Sherlock......that's pretty much the only way we will get anyone to come here right now.............

Let's talk about the "objective thinking" process that goes into thinking that Benning moves away from that Sutter contract. DESPITE the fact he has made absolutely 0 inclination to move from Sutter.

Or the fact you think it's okay to overpay for bottom 6 players. Objectively what's the worth of overpaying players that in the long term don't really get you much W's? Objectively what's the worth of filling up your bottom 6 with vets when the young guys need playing time? Objectively how would you compare Beagle and Roussel contracts to Riley Nash, an objectively BETTER player, that got payed less (term+$).

So let's talk about objectivity, because you haven't been using any in this thread.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I’m confused....you seem to be a Benning supporter but everything you say here only makes him look worse.

I'm an objective thinker who isn't above criticizing Benning and company - I'm not here to blither blindly about how amazing Benning is. My personal thoughts are that the Benning regime excels at drafting..........and as a result I can live with some other areas that aren't always perfect. Right now the biggest upside for our team is at the draft..........and it's going to continue to be that way for another couple of years (granted my bar may be set rather low thanks to years of ineptitude at the draft table courtesy of other regimes).

I've maintained that he's improving at his job..........trading Sutter and getting rid of some of the other riff raft on the team would continue to support that notion.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
T
Good on Benning to insulate the kids coming up despite some who would throw them to the wolves. This is going to be a great development year for a lot of our prospects.
The comments on here are hilarious. The teams future is ruined by the tragic Beagle signing lol. Happy Canada Day everyone. Enjoy a pint in the sun and remember it’s just a game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad