GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Yeah - I've been told by a friend who regularly converses with Linden that we are trying to trade Sutter...........which was surprising to me but it makes much more sense considering the moves he has made. And there is also potential for a Gagne trade or buyout. If those 2 things happened and we got rid of another or 2 of our roster players that are dead weight all of a sudden one could view that Benning *gasp......actually had a plan and that in the scheme of that plan these signings make a lot more sense. As of now it certainly doesn't appear necessary to have 2 guys (Beagle and Sutter) essentially handling the same role. Sutter for a 2nd? Please and thank-you...........Gagne and a few more random pieces off the team to clear way for some youth? Please and thank-you again......

I wonder what this boards sentiments would be if that actually happened? Perhaps some people could grudgingly accept the fact that Benning isn't quite as horrible as some imagine and that mayybe just mayyyyybe he has half a clue what he is doing.......Just a thought...........

People will concede that Benning isn't horrible by him scrambling to trade a player he overpayed for assets wise, then contract wise, as well buying out a player he signed to a terrible contract just last season ? And is doing so because of this "plan" by dishing out more term than is necessary on more bottom six players ? Okay man.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

giphy-downsized-large.gif

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Oh god what a terrible thing to wake up to.

Didn't some of us call this whole Jay Beagle thing already?

Actually, if he had just kept the term down it would have been ok but I think word is out that he can be taken advantage of. Try to get extra out of Jim, if not you have the same 1-2 year options everywhere else. If you can get it out of him, great. Must be great for a player like Beagle who has already won the cup and can now cash in.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
His plan was to sign Gagner and then buy him out?

Holy ****, what a good plan!!

Yeah that plan obviously didn't work out.........I can see where it was coming from though - I tend to think that contract should have only been 2 years. Anyhoo - assuming the rest of what I said is true - they trade Sutter - get rid of Gagne and one or 2 other irrelevant roster players could you grudgingly admit that Benning did a decent job here? Or would you still be too proud to admit that?

I don't see how anyone could argue that - after Dorsett left we were as soft as a pillow last year. Green didn't like this at all. We added three guys with size here that will improve the physicality of our team - surely this is a good thing? Especially if Sutter is gone along with Gagne? Or are you soo far down the rabbit hole that you need to stick to the narrative?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
That their valuable players? Just cause you don’t like the contract doesn’t mean they’re not good..
Beagle is huge for the team.
Ok......valuable - to who other than Benning
And I don’t like the contracts because they are no good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Riley Nash just signed in Columbus for 3 years at 2.4MM per.

Every single signing today makes Benning look like the absolute dullard that he is. This is just unreal. "This is the market for those players"

The book is out now on Jim Benning and his negotiating skills...There are none!

He's a absolute blank check to other GM's and agents.

They love it and Benning is their best friend when he comes a calling :laugh:

We've become such an embarrassment in the NHL

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah that plan obviously didn't work out.........I can see where it was coming from though - I tend to think that contract should have only been 2 years. Anyhoo - assuming the rest of what I said is true - they trade Sutter - get rid of Gagne and one or 2 other irrelevant roster players could you grudgingly admit that Benning did a decent job here? Or would you still be too proud to admit that?

I don't see how anyone could argue that - after Dorsett left we were as soft as a pillow last year. Green didn't like this at all. We added three guys with size here that will improve the physicality of our team - surely this is a good thing? Especially if Sutter is gone along with Gagne? Or are you soo far down the rabbit hole that you need to stick to the narrative?
You can try and spin this nonsense anyway you want but all of this trash he’s accumulated is still trash.

Moving Sutter doesn’t change that he overpaid for junk like Beagle and Roussel.

There’s no decent job when you’re giving term to bottom 6 players that other teams give to top 6 players

Reactions: Mr4legs and timw33

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
What a terrible f***ing day. No other way to describe it.

Only way I'll watch any games this season is if Pettersson and Hughes are on the opening night roster. Otherwise, this team can f*** off until Jack Hughes is a Vancouver Canuck.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Benning is a complete idiot. Today should be enough to get him canned. That wasn't the market for these players when guys like Nash are signing for cheaper and less

Benning : HI WE'RE INTERESTED IN BEAGLE AND STUFF WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Agent : Uh *snicker* well, $2.5 for 3 years seems fair (ha!).

Benning : DONE

Agent : What? Holy shit. Uh ... wait a minute, it looks like I'm getting an offer from another team!

Benning : OH NO. WHAT DO WE HAVE TO OFFER?

Agent : Uh, 4 years $12 million maybe?

Benning : DONE

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Are we going to make that bet then?

Sutter traded, I’ll concede Benning has some sort of a plan rolling around in that spacious head of his.

Sutter a Canuck on Game 1, you concede he has no plan and has the hockey acumen of a small child.

Shake?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
How many tough minutes in a game are there? We already have Sutter taking the hard match ups, if you have Beagle playing >12 minutes then Horvat and Pettersson will be playing below 15 minutes each.

Like I’m aware you think all young players are fragile china dolls who must never face any adversity whatsoever or else they’ll shatter and bust out of the NHL, but c’mon even you should be able to see that what these young kids could actually use is some actual talent to play along side them no? Like a guy who can make a pass to Pettersson or who can cycle the puck and set him up for his one timers, not a guy on a totally different line who is going to scrum it up and take penalties all game long. This obsession with the bottom 6 while completely ignoring the top 6 borders on pathological.

It’s insane that we just watched a SCF featuring the Caps and Vegas Knights and the lesson we walked away with was that we needed to be older, slower, and less skilled.

Just insane myopic-ness.

There are 60 tough minutes in every NHL game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad