GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Upgrade the D ? I hope this is an addition by subtraction sort of thing where we ship players out and stick to using depth guys in Biega and Sautner.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Benning adding grit makes me think pettersson and hughes will make the team and theyre signed to protect these youngsters.
But dang bad contracts..too high and too long.
And other useless vets better be traded to make room for other young players.

Current line up:
Baerstchi-horvat-boeser
Eriksson-sutter-pettersson
Roussel-beagle-virtanen
Leipsic-schaller-goldobin

I want gaudette and dahlen to make the team so that means some vets need to go.
Gagner and granlund needs to go. Maybe sutter too to make room for gaudette but unlikely. Baerstchi is ok as a transitional top6 winger but should be traded when dahlen is rdy. And eriksson is untradeable.

Looks like a bottom 3 finish next season

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Yet over this 4 year period of time, the doom and gloom crowd has been proven right over and over and over again. So who is actually laughing at who? Worst team in the the NHL over 3 seasons.

Our problem isn’t bottom 6 grit, it’s scoring goals, and keeping them out. This helps nothing.

I agree, but there are people who seemingly spend countless hours a day worrying about it when it is 100% out of our hands. There is no point freaking out and over exaggerating about these moves.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe there's a method to the madness of loading up on expansion list fodder by signing guys like Beagle, Roussel, Gagner and Del Zotto...and playing 'foundationless' players like Sutter and Gudbranson further up in the lineup. It means the kids get sent to Utica, far removed from this sh#$% show, and the Canucks are the early contenders in the Jack Hughes sweepstakes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And I'm going to post this again because - even as someone who thinks Jim Benning is about the stupidest man alive and who expects him to screw up everything he does - this absolutely blows my mind :

Edmonton signed a mid-30s 25 point 4th line center/PK guy and a 20-something speedy 25-point 3rd-line winger/PK guy. Vancouver signed a mid-30s 25 point 4th line center/PK guy and a 20-something speedy 25-point 3rd-line winger/PK guy.

I don't think anyone could argue that there's much difference at all between these players, although Edmonton's signings did outscore our signings 58-37 last year.

They put out a $4 million cost commitment to sign those guys. We put out a $25 million cost commitment.

That means that we're paying a 625%, $21 million premium for Jay Beagle's Cup ring and Antoine Roussel's after-whistle facewashes.

It's totally mindblowing and absolutely indefensible. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The sensational hatred of bottom 6 signinga here is very toxic to mental health, especially when these players are being paid a relatively proportionate number compared to where the cap is.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
My biggest worry is that the NHL is going to open an investigation into charges that the Vancouver Canucks are deliberately tanking for the 2019-2022 seasons. Even Buffalo was never this blatantly obvious about trying to be bad ...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning adding grit makes me think pettersson and hughes will make the team and theyre signed to protect these youngsters.
Lucic was actually on the ice when Cooke went for the headshot against Savard. And at least Lucic then was as a legit forward playing a fair amount of icetime. You aren't going to be protecting anyone if you're like to be sitting on the bench waiting for your few shifts a game.

The sensational hatred of bottom 6 signinga here is very toxic to mental health, especially when these players are being paid a relatively proportionate number compared to where the cap is.
You don't typically give 4 year deals to those kinds of players - especially since they're hardly at a "discount".

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
And I'm going to post this again because - even as someone who thinks Jim Benning is about the stupidest man alive and who expects him to screw up everything he does - this absolutely blows my mind :

Edmonton signed a mid-30s 25 point 4th line center/PK guy and a 20-something speedy 25-point 3rd-line winger/PK guy. Vancouver signed a mid-30s 25 point 4th line center/PK guy and a 20-something speedy 25-point 3rd-line winger/PK guy.

I don't think anyone could argue that there's much difference at all between these players, although Edmonton's signings did outscore our signings 58-37 last year.

They put out a $4 million cost commitment to sign those guys. We put out a $25 million cost commitment.

That means that we're paying a 625%, $21 million premium for Jay Beagle's Cup ring and Antoine Roussel's after-whistle facewashes.

It's totally mindblowing and absolutely indefensible. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Benning hasn't been a GM as long as his mentor has so just give him a few more years to learn on the job.

Reactions: Jack Burton

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Your concern is appreciated but not needed. This is the darkest timeline, so being unhappy with this stupidity merely shows that a person is sane and still cares about their hockey team.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

the problem is that Edmonton has this guy named Connor McDavid and the Canucks do not.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Please go look at the other bottom 6 signings in the league today. Also, there are ALWAYS decent bottom 6 forwards available to sign for very cheap after the first week of free agency.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The quote about Sutter in an offensive role....holy hell he's playing with Petterson this year.

Welcome to the NHL, Elias, *handcuffs leg to a boat anchor*, don't worry Rousell will bear hug a guy if they hit you.

I told you all Pettersson would be a bust :sarcasm:

In all seriousness...This is a very bad day for our prospects and fans of this team.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Absolutely do not the term or dollars for the Beagle and Rousell contracts. I do not know enough about Schaller to make judgment his contract. If Beagle was on a one year deal and Rousell on a two then it would be tolerable as they actually do fill a need within the teams bottom six. Though do not Beagle and Schaller serve pretty much the same purpose?

I do not like hearing that Sutter moving back up the lineup. He was moved into the proper role last season and did well, why mess with it.

Without question would have preferred the Rieder and Peca deals to Beagle and Rousell.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The thing that some people seem to be missing is that none of these moves are being viewed in isolation and nor should they be.

They are being made by the same guy who threw $36M at Loui Eriksson, who spent young assets to acquire a bottom pair D, who thinks Sutter is a foundational piece, who insisted on Luca Sbisa in the Kesler deal, who couldn’t manage to trade Hamhuis at the TDL and told everyone there were no picks available in 2018.

In isolation today’s moves are poor but not crippling. But taken in the context of the past 5 summers it’s clear we are being managed by someone who still thinks hockey is being played like it was in the 1970’s.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don't know much about Schaller but his numbers are decent.

19 ES points playing 13 mins/game, 133 shots on goal. 1.9M seems like a high price but seems like someone worth taking a shot at.

Honestly seems like Jake Virtanen can do what he is going to do but I would be fine if this were our only signing of the day.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
On the bright side at least we can stop reading posts talking about how Benning has been “improving” since [insert arbitrary date]. Vanjagger is going to need a new angle for his obsessive apologizing for Benning.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Exactly. If we trade Gagner, Sutter, Etc I have zero problems with these signings. Let’s just wait and see.

Yeah - I've been told by a friend who regularly converses with Linden that we are trying to trade Sutter...........which was surprising to me but it makes much more sense considering the moves he has made. And there is also potential for a Gagne trade or buyout. If those 2 things happened and we got rid of another or 2 of our roster players that are dead weight all of a sudden one could view that Benning *gasp......actually had a plan and that in the scheme of that plan these signings make a lot more sense. As of now it certainly doesn't appear necessary to have 2 guys (Beagle and Sutter) essentially handling the same role. Sutter for a 2nd? Please and thank-you...........Gagne and a few more random pieces off the team to clear way for some youth? Please and thank-you again......

I wonder what this boards sentiments would be if that actually happened? Perhaps some people could grudgingly accept the fact that Benning isn't quite as horrible as some imagine and that mayybe just mayyyyybe he has half a clue what he is doing.......Just a thought...........

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

Just think, if Washington wins back to back, Vancouver can then sign character cup-winning Centre Jim Dowd for an outrageous premium and give Sutter first line minutes. Circle of Life.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah - I've been told by a friend who regularly converses with Linden that we are trying to trade Sutter...........which was surprising to me but it makes much more sense considering the moves he has made. And there is also potential for a Gagne trade or buyout. If those 2 things happened and we got rid of another or 2 of our roster players that are dead weight all of a sudden one could view that Benning *gasp......actually had a plan and that in the scheme of that plan these signings make a lot more sense. As of now it certainly doesn't appear necessary to have 2 guys (Beagle and Sutter) essentially handling the same role. Sutter for a 2nd? Please and thank-you...........Gagne and a few more random pieces off the team to clear way for some youth? Please and thank-you again......

I wonder what this boards sentiments would be if that actually happened? Perhaps some people could grudgingly accept the fact that Benning isn't quite as horrible as some think and that mayybe just mayyyyybe he has half a clue what he is doing.......Just a thought...........

His plan was to sign Gagner and then buy him out?

Holy Shit, what a good plan!!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I’ll make you a very simple and fair bet VanJagger: IF Benning trades Sutter this summer, I’ll publicly concede that Benning has some semblance of a plan. But if Brandon Sutter plays Game 1 of this season as a Canuck then YOU acknowledge that Benning actually has no plan and is merely bumbling along in the special learning class.

Deal?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It's true that no one will push around the young players on the team, mainly because there won't be any room for them to actually play.

Reactions: Caspian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad