GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The book is out now on Jim Benning and his negotiating skills...There are none!

He's a absolute blank check to other GM's and agents.

They love it and Benning is their best friend when he comes a calling :laugh:

We've become such an embarrassment in the NHL

There's a reason why our contracts were both terrible and among the first ones completed.

Jim "negotiations are unnecessary" Benning.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Good on Benning to insulate the kids coming up despite some who would throw them to the wolves. This is going to be a great development year for a lot of our prospects.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah that plan obviously didn't work out.........I can see where it was coming from though - I tend to think that contract should have only been 2 years. Anyhoo - assuming the rest of what I said is true - they trade Sutter - get rid of Gagne and one or 2 other irrelevant roster players could you grudgingly admit that Benning did a decent job here? Or would you still be too proud to admit that?

I don't see how anyone could argue that - after Dorsett left we were as soft as a pillow last year. Green didn't like this at all. We added three guys with size here that will improve the physicality of our team - surely this is a good thing? Especially if Sutter is gone along with Gagne? Or are you soo far down the rabbit hole that you need to stick to the narrative?

The real problem is that Green and Benning think that being soft was our problem.

Here’s a hint: We have waaaaaaay bigger problems. The biggest one being that it isn’t 1979 anymore.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
People will concede that Benning isn't horrible by him scrambling to trade a player he overpayed for assets wise, then contract wise, as well buying out a player he signed to a terrible contract just last season ? And is doing so because of this "plan" by dishing out more term than is necessary on more bottom six players ? Okay man.

See - this a prime example of lack of objective thinking..........On one hand the Bashers kick and scream about Sutters contract.........on the other hand if Benning moves on from that contract and replaces it from a just an effective player for 1 mill less a year you will still find a way to indite him for us.

I find it interesting how people think that we shouldn't overpay for anyone in free agency - like we don't have a ton of cap and that better yet - let's lure some decent FA's here by offering them "fair market value" or no term. I heard comments like "Why not sign Neal to a one year contract?" Okkkkk then..........Like who the hell is going to want to come here at present unless they are getting overpaid? "We far overpaid for Roussel and Beagle" Well no shit we did Sherlock......that's pretty much the only way we will get anyone to come here right now.............

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This keeps getting echoed, yet we seem to be the only team overpaying in terms of years and salary for these depth players. This is just more of the same 'nobodies trading picks at the deadline' stuff from Jim Benning. He's the easiest mark in the league and other GM's/agents continue to take advantage of it.

I mean you could maybe make a weak case for Beagle since he just won a Cup, but what makes Roussel so special that his contract gets 'negotiated' up to 4 years when Reider, Comeau, Ryan, and even Bozak, among others, get 3 or less?

Like I said that 4th year is the deal maker when it comes to signing in the salt mine that is Vancouver. It's been this way since 1970.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Good on Benning to insulate the kids coming up despite some who would throw them to the wolves. This is going to be a great development year for a lot of our prospects.

In Utica aways from all the players Jim signed because there is no room on the big club for them BECAUSE of these signings. Utica will have a great team, #Canucks will be stuck in the mud.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
See - this a prime example of lack of objective thinking..........On one hand the Bashers kick and scream about Sutters contract.........on the other hand if Benning moves on from that contract and replaces it from a just an effective player for 1 mill less a year you will still find a way to indite him for us.

I find it interesting how people think that we shouldn't overpay for anyone in free agency - like we don't have a ton of cap and that better yet - let's lure some decent FA's here by offering them "fair market value" or no term. I heard comments like "Why not sign Neal to a one year contract?" Okkkkk then..........Like who the hell is going to want to come here at present unless they are getting overpaid? "We far overpaid for Roussel and Beagle" Well no **** we did Sherlock......that's pretty much the only way we will get anyone to come here right now.............
The irony of you posting this is not lost, I assure you.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Riley Nash just signed in Columbus for 3 years at 2.4MM per.

Every single signing today makes Benning look like the absolute dullard that he is. This is just unreal. "This is the market for those players"

OMG I would have preferred Nash.

Reactions: Caspian

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I find it interesting how people think that we shouldn't overpay for anyone in free agency - like we don't have a ton of cap and that better yet - let's lure some decent FA's here by offering them "fair market value" or no term. I heard comments like "Why not sign Neal to a one year contract?" Okkkkk then..........Like who the hell is going to want to come here at present unless they are getting overpaid? "We far overpaid for Roussel and Beagle" Well no **** we did Sherlock......that's pretty much the only way we will get anyone to come here right now.............

What did Arizona pay for Grabner?

What did Edmonton pay for Rieder?

Jesus, even Calgary signed Derek Ryan for a far better amount and term than we did.

As bad as today’s been for the club, the biggest farce is you pretending to be anything resembling “objective”.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Are we going to make that bet then?

Sutter traded, I’ll concede Benning has some sort of a plan rolling around in that spacious head of his.

Sutter a Canuck on Game 1, you concede he has no plan and has the hockey acumen of a small child.

Shake?

Lol - nice try - Wiling to change that to this season..........I said they are trying to trade him - ideally that would happen before the season starts. I'm thinking waiting to see how FA shakes out then approaching the teams that are in need and missed out. Personally I hope this happens just so 97/100 comments aren't about what an idiot our GM is........Gawd that shit gets tiresome..........it often seems that many on this board are soo stuck on this narrative that they cheer louder when Benning does something that they don't agree with than when he does something that's obviously good for the club.........

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
You can try and spin this nonsense anyway you want but all of this trash he’s accumulated is still trash.

Moving Sutter doesn’t change that he overpaid for junk like Beagle and Roussel.

There’s no decent job when you’re giving term to bottom 6 players that other teams give to top 6 players

Yeah cus players like Beagel and Roussel were just clamouring to come to a last place club and take less than market value in doing so..........I see............... You do understand how free agency works right?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
In Utica aways from all the players Jim signed because there is no room on the big club for them BECAUSE of these signings. Utica will have a great team, #Canucks will be stuck in the mud.

#LoseForHughes ;)

In all seriousness, Utica is a great environment to develop and clearly the best place for most of our prospects to be next season.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
God it would be lovely if we just waived Eriksson to start the year and told him to ride the bus for 6M a year or go home

As a team we play better without him in the lineup

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If Sven could stay healthy he is a fine second line player for this team. Unfortunately he will be playing on the first line, unless they want Swedish-hair-flip-lazy-mcgee riding with Bo and EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad