GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
See - this a prime example of lack of objective thinking..........On one hand the Bashers kick and scream about Sutters contract.........on the other hand if Benning moves on from that contract and replaces it from a just an effective player for 1 mill less a year you will still find a way to indite him for us.

As a doctor*, I love this line of logic. There was this one time I misdiagnosed a patient and prescribed medication that caused partial paralysis for a few months. I’m not sure why the medical board got so uppity; it’s not like I didn’t eventually identify and fix the problem by stopping the treatment. Why so serious?

*not actually a doctor

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
These were good signings so yes he is.

Do you want Jonathan Dahlen on the 4th line?

Do you want career AHLer Darren Archibald to be the veteran mentor in the room?

No these aren't good signings.

Darren Archibald scored 8 fewer points than Roussel last season despite playing in 46 fewer games. Yet you're fine with that?

Why do you act as if Archibald would be "the veteran mentor" in the room? Isn't that what we're paying Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner, and Gudbranson to do? What about Tanev and Edler? Why are we keeping them around? How many veterans do you need?

Reactions: Jack Burton and WTG

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012

Better than “I’ve got my millions time to do nothing” Eriksson, or “Pay me lots so I can throw other players under the bus while consistently under performing” Sutter, or “I might be big but don’t expect me to hit anybody or play defence” Gudbranson.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm an objective thinker who isn't above criticizing Benning and company - I'm not here to blither blindly about how amazing Benning is. My personal thoughts are that the Benning regime excels at drafting..........and as a result I can live with some other areas that aren't always perfect. Right now the biggest upside for our team is at the draft..........and it's going to continue to be that way for another couple of years (granted my bar may be set rather low thanks to years of ineptitude at the draft table courtesy of other regimes).

I've maintained that he's improving at his job..........trading Sutter and getting rid of some of the other riff raft on the team would continue to support that notion.

So you admit that the only department excelling is the one that has literally the least amount of impact and influence from the General Manager?

Lol you think they'd trade Sutter because we just made him redundant–85% of the roster is redundant and they absolutely refuse to trade a single NHLer for a pick. Dude they're trying to compete. Again.

Reactions: Jack Burton

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
You’re acting like these guys are the cream of the crop. They’re replacement level trash that you’re trying to rationalize as good moves if 13 different scenarios happen afterwards .
Any scenario where you’re overpaying bums is a fail.

Enjoy this mess though. You deserve it.

Well no they aren't the cream of the crop - I can only imagine the outrage if he would have actually signed a high end player.

And bums? There were numerous other teams in play for both Roussel and Beagle........but according to you they are bums?

One can logically assume the only way these "bums" were going to come here was for more money and term.......

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
And there it is!! Deflect!

source.gif

Without even clicking "show ignored content," let me guess - something about Gillis.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I'm an objective thinker who isn't above criticizing Benning and company - I'm not here to blither blindly about how amazing Benning is. My personal thoughts are that the Benning regime excels at drafting..........and as a result I can live with some other areas that aren't always perfect. Right now the biggest upside for our team is at the draft..........and it's going to continue to be that way for another couple of years (granted my bar may be set rather low thanks to years of ineptitude at the draft table courtesy of other regimes).

I've maintained that he's improving at his job..........trading Sutter and getting rid of some of the other riff raft on the team would continue to support that notion.
Except he hasn’t done any of that. If drafting is his forte than why haven’t they acquired picks so he can show his talent???

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
What did Arizona pay for Grabner?

What did Edmonton pay for Rieder?

Jesus, even Calgary signed Derek Ryan for a far better amount and term than we did.

As bad as today’s been for the club, the biggest farce is you pretending to be anything resembling “objective”.

Well in the context of what I posted about trading Sutter and Gagne and getting rid of our other riff raft today's moves make a lot more sense now don't they? Benning and Green both wanted our team to get tougher and grittier. I would say todays signings accomplished that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just caught the TSN press conference....Yep, no doubt about it.... With Beagle signed as one of the most expensive fourth-line centers in all of hockey, Sutter is being 'moved up the lineup'...Jimbo actually said it twice. The offensive equivalent of a black hole is moving up to second-line center....please pray for the wingers who end up with him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah you think? Like the dearth of high end skill players (thank you Gillis)........or the fact we have 2 top four defensemen and the rest are all 5-8's? Ok Mr. GM - what do you suggest we do to address those as you mentioned much bigger problems? Dying to hear your thoughts.........

I guess you were ok with the lack of pushback from our club then?

Gillis is f***ing gone man, let it go.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Just caught the TSN press conference....Yep, no doubt about it.... With Beagle signed as one of the most expensive fourth-line centers in all of hockey, Sutter is being 'moved up the lineup'...Jimbo actually said it twice. The offensive equivalent of a black hole is moving up to second-line center....please pray for the wingers who end up with him.
All in for Hughes

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Sutter will be gone. I can see him traded for a more offensive style Center of the same caliber. Since California teams are interested, maybe a Sutter-Henrique swap or something like that.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
John Shannon‏Verified account @JSportsnet 44s45 seconds ago
Sven Baertschi re-ups with Vancouver. 3 years. 10 million.
Shockingly good contract. Funny though that he did not get that 4th year

The signings were terrible. The players involved are not. If either of these deals were on a 2 year contract no one would care. Benning would actually probably get a little praise. But on 4 year deals it is idiotic and unnecessary.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Sutter will be gone. I can see him traded for a more offensive style Center of the same caliber. Since California teams are interested, maybe a Sutter-Henrique swap or something like that.
Sutter to Anaheim for picks would be the dream but absolute 0 chance it happens. Sutter is the most likely candidate to be our next Captain. Green doesn't trust Bo, he even took away his A to give to MDZ this year

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Ehhhhh we 2016-17 Canucks now boiz, 200+ PP TOI inc for Brandon "Foundational" Sutter

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com

Roussell-Sutter-Pettersson... book it. Pettersson will be passing to himself or waiting in the slot looking for a pass for his entire rookie season. - sigh -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad