GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
These deals are a little stinky, especially the term, but not the disasters portrayed by the usual suspects.

These deals are both under 4% of the total cap. And if the cap continues to rise by the 7% per year it has since it's inception, these deals will be less than 3% of the cap in their final years.

Further, you can spend about $3.45m per player on a 23 player roster to ice a maxed cap team. And since the cap is a zero-sum game, both these signings leave a bit of money to be spent at other positions. Considering we have ELCs in our top 6, spending a bit extra on bottom 6ers is affordable.

These signings are not franchise crippling in any way.

The positive is these signings start to give some identity to our bottom 6. We are going to be stiffer to play against in our own zone. If Green plays his cards right, Bo,Boeser, Pettersen etc should see a heavy slant to offensive zone starts. As long as Sutter gets back to his typical 15-20 goals, I don't think upgrading from Archibald + Gaunce to Rousell and Beagle really hurts our offense.

Don't love the signings , but I can see the reasoning behind them. And I don't have a problem with targeting "your" guy and going and getting your first choice. Excited to see how they work out.

You don’t want the worst team in the NHL the past 3 years to have room for young players?

Add Roussel, Beagle, to Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Sutter,....mediocre veterans who will make no difference to getting this team out from the bottom 5 and only take roster spots from young players.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Archie wasn't teaching anyone anything and has no pedigree... they want to train these young guys on the ways of the NHL. Just wish they'd get rid of the players that will train them how to float like Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto... here's hoping that's coming.

You can't be serious with this. That's just spewing the crap Benning comes up with. Beagle and Roussel aren't going to do anything but make this team worse.

4 years for these guys. :laugh:

Reactions: Hansen

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
You don’t want the worst team in the NHL the past 3 years to have room for young players?

Add Roussel, Beagle, to Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Sutter,....mediocre veterans who will make no difference to getting this team out from the bottom 5 and only take roster spots from young players.

That's 6 of 13 or 14 forwards that will be veterans. There's tons of room for young players on the roster.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You can't be serious with this. That's just spewing the crap Benning comes up with. Beagle and Roussel aren't going to do anything but make this team worse.

4 years for these guys. :laugh:

Devils and Avalanche can make the playoffs with young players but the worst team in the NHL for 3 years needs culture carrying veterans to lead us to the bottom 5.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Eriksson is unmovable. Who would want Gagner? MDZ? Gudbranson? I don't really see us trading any of these guys away.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Why are people hating on Beagle? Like the contract isn't good but he's actually a great add. Hate the contract not the player, because I think Beagle will add a lot of leadership to this team

Roussel is a shit and isn't a leader at all. Sure he adds a little sandpaper but at that cost I'd rather grab a middle 6 skill guy EDIT: Actually I'd rather save the cap or add a competent defender tbh

Too much term too. 4 years handicaps us with the other way too long contracts we have on the books with our top 12 forwards. In 4 years I bloody well hope most of our young guys that are promising today are in the NHL, but moving these guys on their long term contracts is not that easy

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It baffles me how they can time after time show such ineptness. We are paying for an extra year and $250,00 less AAV for Beagle and Rousell than Vegas is for Stastny. Fire this idiot now honestly.

Burn it down. I say bring on more bad contracts. This is hilarious. People were so adamant that we extend Benning and they're getting what they deserve. :laugh:

Reactions: Jack Burton

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Eriksson is unmovable. Who would want Gagner? MDZ? Gudbranson? I don't really see us trading any of these guys away.
Gagner to the Jets possibly now that the are out on Stastny? Bozak would be the next logical guy for them, but Gagner would have less term on his deal. Hell I'd retain at this point to move him since were adding the 2 4th liners.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

There is the massive problem with this management. They have no clue how to pick up veterans that can add experience but are still moveable at the deadline to help the rebuild.

Even though the Leafs management showed the perfect blueprint, these bozos continue to saddle the franchise with immovable contracts for under performing mediocre veterans.

Reactions: racerjoe

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why are people hating on Beagle? Like the contract isn't good but he's actually a great add. Hate the contract not the player, because I think Beagle will add a lot of leadership to this team

Roussel is a **** and isn't a leader at all. Sure he adds a little sandpaper but at that cost I'd rather grab a middle 6 skill guy EDIT: Actually I'd rather save the cap or add a competent defender tbh

Too much term too. 4 years handicaps us with the other way too long contracts we have on the books with our top 12 forwards. In 4 years I bloody well hope most of our young guys that are promising today are in the NHL, but moving these guys on their long term contracts is not that easy

He's a terrible add at $3M per year for 4 years, when he's age 33. :laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Aside from Granlund, not sure what the point is of having that much tied up in those guys.

It's $20 million for the other 5 guys combined.

Canucks were already at $55 million against the cap, without Stecher/Bear/Virtanen so they would easily get into the low $60's. Floor is set at $59.

Still seems that this front office is still reeling from the Jake/Jared 15-16 season. Panicking over installing young players. Those 2 were 19 years old. Only EP is 19.

Fully expect Dahlen/Lind/Gadj to start in the AHL. Gaudette expect in the NHL.

If they make these signings, their 13 forwards are likely to be:

C - Horvat/Sutter/Beagle/Gaudette/Gagner
RW - Boeser/Eriksson/Petterson/Virtanen
LW - Bear/Granlund/Roussel/Guanaco

So, no room for Goldy/Leipsic unless they send Gaudette to the AHL.

It doesn't change much for next season since only Granlund/Gaunce come off the books depending on the term for Virtanen and Bear.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Forget the Hughes connection, maybe we drafted Tyler Madden to get to John.
Anoything less than 4x4 will be defended to the death by the muppet brigade. Cant put a price on leadership.

Reactions: Pip

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
canucks 3rd and 4th lines will probably be the most expensive in the league and yet will still be garbage.

This is so frustrating that there are still people out there that believe in these clowns and are easily distracted by a shiny toy.

Reactions: Jack Burton

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
The term is awful. It should be two years max.

I'm not a fan of Roussel. I am a fan of Beagle. But again, this is term you shouldn't be giving.

It's just laughable that Linden comes on the radio and talks about being careful with the cap this time around. And then this happens.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’d be so much less upset if we had signed stastny to a 5year deal at the average Aav or even 7mil than the deals we gave out.

You could maybe have convinced me we needed one of these guys for 3 years but both for 4 years lolz

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad