GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
What happened to Linden saying they were looking at short term deal before the draft LMAO. Yet another lie we have been fed. 4 years for Rousell was bad, but 4 years for Beagle as well!? My god, JB just continues to amaze.

I wonder what the structure of these contracts look like, are they both front loaded on the first two seasons, could they be moved out easily in their 3rd years for minimal cost for other teams (...are they be viable NHLers at that point is anyones guess)?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Canucks need some toughness and pushback in the lineup. otherwise, the kids get run.... Unfortunately, other teams forced the Canucks to give more term and $$$$. this also will give some prospects time to develop properly instead of being rushed into the lineup.

Other teams didn’t force the Canucks to do anything. Also, if you’ve been paying attention to what young players have been doing leaguewide then players like EP and AG should be able to make the team no problem.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Vanek going to Detroit for 3 million. I would've preferred to have paid someone like that who can at least produce and play with Pettersson and Boeser instead of these scrubs.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Today is a win for tank nation boys and girls. Always try and make a positive out of a negative if possible.

PS: it’s also one day closer to getting a new management team

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I wonder what the structure of these contracts look like, are they both front loaded on the first two seasons, could they be moved out easily in their 3rd years for minimal cost for other teams (...are they be viable NHLers at that point is anyones guess)?
They better be front loaded. Spend Aqua's money now if he's authorizing such stupid amount of term being thrown at a guy who will be 33 when the season starts. Make sure that it helps JB's replacement offload them for picks when we are still rebuilding 4 years from now since he can't grasp the concept of short term deals to flip for picks.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Guys, the cap doesn’t mater until we’re contenders again.

But we have to somehow become contenders without caring about the cap.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Canucks need some toughness and pushback in the lineup. otherwise, the kids get run.... Unfortunately, other teams forced the Canucks to give more term and $$$$. this also will give some prospects time to develop properly instead of being rushed into the lineup.

Beagle had 28 PIMs last year and not many hits.

There are playoff teams playing line ups full of young players.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I agree. Seems like the team has way to many forwards now and will have to make a few moves.

I wonder if Sutter has asked for a trade.

I sure hope so. That would make today feel a little better. Especially if it was for draft picks

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
These deals are a little stinky, especially the term, but not the disasters portrayed by the usual suspects.

These deals are both under 4% of the total cap. And if the cap continues to rise by the 7% per year it has since it's inception, these deals will be less than 3% of the cap in their final years.

Further, you can spend about $3.45m per player on a 23 player roster to ice a maxed cap team. And since the cap is a zero-sum game, both these signings leave a bit of money to be spent at other positions. Considering we have ELCs in our top 6, spending a bit extra on bottom 6ers is affordable.

These signings are not franchise crippling in any way.

The positive is these signings start to give some identity to our bottom 6. We are going to be stiffer to play against in our own zone. If Green plays his cards right, Bo,Boeser, Pettersen etc should see a heavy slant to offensive zone starts. As long as Sutter gets back to his typical 15-20 goals, I don't think upgrading from Archibald + Gaunce to Rousell and Beagle really hurts our offense.

Don't love the signings , but I can see the reasoning behind them. And I don't have a problem with targeting "your" guy and going and getting your first choice. Excited to see how they work out.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
These deals are a little stinky, especially the term, but not the disasters portrayed by the usual suspects.

These deals are both under 4% of the total cap. And if the cap continues to rise by the 7% per year it has since it's inception, these deals will be less than 3% of the cap in their final years.

Further, you can spend about $3.45m per player on a 23 player roster to ice a maxed cap team. And since the cap is a zero-sum game, both these signings leave a bit of money to be spent at other positions. Considering we have ELCs in our top 6, spending a bit extra on bottom 6ers is affordable.

These signings are not franchise crippling in any way.

The positive is these signings start to give some identity to our bottom 6. We are going to be stiffer to play against in our own zone. If Green plays his cards right, Bo,Boeser, Pettersen etc should see a heavy slant to offensive zone starts. As long as Sutter gets back to his typical 15-20 goals, I don't think upgrading from Archibald + Gaunce to Rousell and Beagle really hurts our offense.

Don't love the signings , but I can see the reasoning behind them. And I don't have a problem with targeting "your" guy and going and getting your first choice. Excited to see how they work out.
I think most people are mad because these type of deals keep on coming every summer yet the management never paid the price.

Deatd by a thousand blades

Reactions: THE Green Man

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
This team is never going to sniff 3 goals a game with Sutter and Beagle shutting down any offensive ability from our 3rd or 4th lines.

Any player coming up from Utica will be stuck with these offensive black holes.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I hate the 4 years, Not crazy about the players but could live it with the signings for 2 year deals even at that price I suppose. It's so easy for us to say they're bad contracts especially that length but it's amazing how every year NHL GM's spend Canada's birthday giving Canadians who are pretty good at hockey too much money over too long a term to play hockey for them, without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad