GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Guys no player is going to sign to a team that is going to be the leagues punching bag for cheaper deals and shorter term for the next few years until Boeser, Pettersson, Huges(s)(plural hopefully) take over. That’s why we’re only able to sign plugs and even they want to be overally compensated because they know they’re going to get embarrassed 75% of the time on game day.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Just don't think you can defend the term at all... ESPECIALLY when the team is already buried under almost unmovable Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Sutter etc. deals.

I get and understand the need for vet leadership, especially gritty leadership and push back to free up room/space for young talent. But man, you're blocking the development of that talent with the term.

That or Utica is going to be full of vets.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
That Roussel contract is just yuck..,

6.5 million in cap space, surely we could have chased someone more of quality?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Just woke up..do those contracts have ntc on them..they are a bit long...Benning is such a push over.
He has no idea how to play hard ball.

It’s crazy that there’s even the slightest possibility that these fourth line players got NTCs without any discount on their contracts. I assume they don’t but you never know with Jimbo

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sure I want young players to play, but it's July 1 not October 1. I'm not someone that gets worked up over hypotheticals.

There is nothing hypothetical about being stuck with Loui Eriksson for 4 more years wasting a roster spot.

There is nothing hypothetical about having Jay Beagle at 37 years old.

With Benning you have a rebuilding team stuck with immovable contracts. That is a real scenario that is really bad.

Reactions: MS

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
very interested in the press conference here.
media will be soft on these guys like usual outside of the odd tough question from Botch. Linden and Benning will just say a bunch of random bullshit that contradicts something they said 6 months ago.

Need more people in the media to grow some balls and speak for us rather than walking the company line.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
*Benning finishes signing these players and walks out of the office with limp, dragging his right leg*

The NHL office puts the contracts together believing Benning was telling the truth, he then looks around the office sees The word Gagner on the Calendar, Roussel on the printer machine, Beagle on the box of donuts and Gudbranson on the under side of his coffee mug.........looks up and realizes the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing god he didn’t exist

*Benning walking down the road fixes his walk and lights a cigarette* rolls credits

Reactions: Steveorama

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Roussel I'm a little shaky on, but I remember the same thing being said regarding Malhotra.

Benning is not someone I'm ever going to support, but we can make use of these players in our bottom six with out displacing anyone young and talented, and we have to give term and money because these aren't the high flying Gillis/Gilman times where we have superstar players at their peak, a solid D core and a track record of being highly competitive.

We are pining for BOZAK now? We cheered and breathed a collective sigh of relief when management leaked they werent interested. And if we were, do we think we wouldn't be paying much more to compete with competitive teams?

I miss Gilman, letting him go was Bennings worst mistake, and likely would have lessened the sting here, but we have a cap floor to get to, and roster space for Roussel and Beagle. The sky isnt falling. And I can't stand Benning.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
media will be soft on these guys like usual outside of the odd tough question from Botch. Linden and Benning will just say a bunch of random bull**** that contradicts something they said 6 months ago.

Need more people in the media to grow some balls and speak for us rather than walking the company line.

But then Iain MacIntyre would have to pay to use the gym, and wouldn't get free contact lenses anymore.

Reactions: BlueGreen

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You are right but I want to stress it will not be more painful. Petterson and Hughes would add some excitement to team. Even Guadette Lipsic Goldy OJ Demko could add some excitement.

Exactly where are Goldy and Leipsic and Gaudette going to get ice time?

Do you think these signings will be benched? Did You ever see Gagner or Eriksson benched no matter how awful they played?

Reactions: racerjoe

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Unfortunately when you're a terrible team in a market with high taxes and real estate you gotta overpay.

Benning had proven to be s guy who will get his guys at all costs.

And he should have learned from that after the Eriksson and Gagner contracts. If the price is too high then DO NOT SIGN THEM. It’s that simple. Play the f***ing kids.

Reactions: Hit the post

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Guys no player is going to sign to a team that is going to be the leagues punching bag for cheaper deals and shorter term for the next few years until Boeser, Pettersson, Huges(s)(plural hopefully) take over. That’s why we’re only able to sign plugs and even they want to be overally compensated because they know they’re going to get embarrassed 75% of the time on game day.
Haven't they read what Linden said back in 2016?

"This is a new and exciting time for your Vancouver Canucks. It’s a time when we’re building you a Canucks team that will contend for the Cup. A young, fast, hardworking team that you will be excited to watch for years to come. The kind of Canucks team you love to cheer for. The kind of team I know can compete at an elite level for a long time. We are going to do this right, and we're going to make you proud."

Doesn't the rest of the NHL see this? Some of the fans can, so why not the players int he NHL? Shouldn't they be excited to come to Vancouver? Based on Linden's quote, why would a player be embarrassed coming to Vancouver?

Reactions: Hit the post

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There have been bigger deals that hurt teams worse, obviously, but for sheer stupidity this Beagle contract is one of the worst in NHL history.

Like, it was bad on Friday when it was 3/$7.5 but at 4/$12 it's a complete joke. Pretty much a guaranteed buyout from the second it's signed.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
From a roster composition standpoint, I actually think the Beagle and Roussel additions are good. They bring a lot of things the team lacks and that are required for winning.

That said, the term on these contracts will definitely hurt the development of younger players. Won't impact Petterssen. Has a small potential to impact Gaudette, Dahlen, and Golobin this year. What I'm most bothered about is the potential impact in years 3 and 4 on guys like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Madden, Lind, Palmu, and even Jasek. By then there will be very little room for these players.

I would not have signed these players based on term alone. And the $$$ make them untradable in two years time.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Roussel I'm a little shaky on, but I remember the same thing being said regarding Malhotra.

Benning is not someone I'm ever going to support, but we can make use of these players in our bottom six with out displacing anyone young and talented, and we have to give term and money because these aren't the high flying Gillis/Gilman times where we have superstar players at their peak, a solid D core and a track record of being highly competitive.

We are pining for BOZAK now? We cheered and breathed a collective sigh of relief when management leaked they werent interested. And if we were, do we think we wouldn't be paying much more to compete with competitive teams?

I miss Gilman, letting him go was Bennings worst mistake, and likely would have lessened the sting here, but we have a cap floor to get to, and roster space for Roussel and Beagle. The sky isnt falling. And I can't stand Benning.

Sure, the sky may not be falling...but it certainly isn't any better today than it was yesterday. These deals aren't insurmountable, but they aren't good...and they aren't signs that our management team is getting any smarter as they gain more experience.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

We'll be bad with or without terrible contracts to Beagle and Roussel. Why not be bad without those contracts and use our cap space to take on bad contracts from other teams and get something (picks/prospects) for taking on those bad contracts? Oh right, Vegas already solved all those problems. :sarcasm:

Even just being bad without weaponizing our cap space would be better than doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad