GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
O
This board really must be composed of drama class experts for all of the hysterics going on............."OMG THE SKY IS FALLING"

Like Benning stole their first born and his signings are the biggest mistakes in the history of mistakes..........

I do agree that 4 year terms are not at all good moves - not excited about that. I think 3 year max is what we should be giving any player right now. Most likely however in order to get these players to come here that's what we had to do. Assuming Beagle comes here that's a curious signing with us already having Sutter on the roster. For those of you thinking that this means Sutter is going to be moved I really don't see it. It would be nice if they did though as he has a lot more value than many people on here think but I tend to think management likes him and he isn't going anywhere.

Management clearly decided that we were too easy to play against last year and has made a priority of addressing that (with Roussel and Beagle). I can't say I disagree with that assessment - it's the term that's a bit unsettling. They also clearly felt that with the Sedins retiring that they needed to replace some veterans in the dressing room.

One thing that baffles me though is that I see comments like "Well let's sign player X for one year then flip him at the deadline". Yeah ok then..............what decent player is going to want to come here unless they are getting overpaid with term? It's just not happening right now. You do realize that in order to lure anyone decent here they are going to have to overpay? That's what free agency is all about (more so for a team that has no hope of contending for a few years).

At the end of the day we barely have the talent for 2 decent lines that can score (between EP, Brock and Horvat and whatever pieces they put with them). That's about it. I see all these comments like "OMG BENNING IS OVERPAYING FOR A BUNCH OF 4RTH LINERS" - like we had our pick of top 6 forwards to sign here..........The only players we could potentially lure here for that role are ones that are team is already full of (or by way overpaying on term - on thanks). Players like Duclair that are reclamation projects that we "hope" can grow into an offensive role. No thanks - our team is already stacked with those types of players.......Gagne, Leipsic, Granlund, Goldobin etc. etc.......the list goes on and on. At least our team will have a decent bunch of 3rd and 4rth liners that can keep the other team honest, provide leadership and make our team harder to play against.

We are going to be a tire fire for another couple more years regardless..........ultimately we have a ton of cap space so spending a few mill here or there to improve our team (however marginally) isn't nearly the catastrophe the majority of this board would make it out to be.........​

Only one question for you

You are watching a perennial bottom 5 team in Vancouver. Do you want to watch the future in young players or watch another bottom 5 year with no upside mediocre veteran players?

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Yes so you sign cheaper plugs on short contracts to play the same role. Do you think Roussel at 4 years over an Archibald type for 1 year gets us out of the bottom 5?
I agree with you 100% I’m just saying from a proven NHL players perspective in free agency, for them to come here they’ll have higher demands and Jimbo is happy to give those players whatever they want lol.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
This board really must be composed of drama class experts for all of the hysterics going on............."OMG THE SKY IS FALLING"

Like Benning stole their first born and his signings are the biggest mistakes in the history of mistakes..........

I do agree that 4 year terms are not at all good moves - not excited about that. I think 3 year max is what we should be giving any player right now. Most likely however in order to get these players to come here that's what we had to do. Assuming Beagle comes here that's a curious signing with us already having Sutter on the roster. For those of you thinking that this means Sutter is going to be moved I really don't see it. It would be nice if they did though as he has a lot more value than many people on here think but I tend to think management likes him and he isn't going anywhere.

Management clearly decided that we were too easy to play against last year and has made a priority of addressing that (with Roussel and Beagle). I can't say I disagree with that assessment - it's the term that's a bit unsettling. They also clearly felt that with the Sedins retiring that they needed to replace some veterans in the dressing room.

One thing that baffles me though is that I see comments like "Well let's sign player X for one year then flip him at the deadline". Yeah ok then..............what decent player is going to want to come here unless they are getting overpaid with term? It's just not happening right now. You do realize that in order to lure anyone decent here they are going to have to overpay? That's what free agency is all about (more so for a team that has no hope of contending for a few years).

At the end of the day we barely have the talent for 2 decent lines that can score (between EP, Brock and Horvat and whatever pieces they put with them). That's about it. I see all these comments like "OMG BENNING IS OVERPAYING FOR A BUNCH OF 4RTH LINERS" - like we had our pick of top 6 forwards to sign here..........The only players we could potentially lure here for that role are ones that are team is already full of (or by way overpaying on term - on thanks). Players like Duclair that are reclamation projects that we "hope" can grow into an offensive role. No thanks - our team is already stacked with those types of players.......Gagne, Leipsic, Granlund, Goldobin etc. etc.......the list goes on and on. At least our team will have a decent bunch of 3rd and 4rth liners that can keep the other team honest, provide leadership and make our team harder to play against.

We are going to be a tire fire for another couple more years regardless..........ultimately we have a ton of cap space so spending a few mill here or there to improve our team (however marginally) isn't nearly the catastrophe the majority of this board would make it out to be.........​
NPn63UxdxnLGw

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
What a joke. I how can they be this bad at their job.

I'll be lucky if the Canucks are competitive by the time I'm 40 at this rate. Depressing

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Just deplorable! If you need to give term, I’ve got news for you... THEY DON’T WANT TO BE HERE!!

It’s like signing 2 Messiers. I’d be shocked if they put in any effort honestly.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So our bottom 6 right now is:

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Gaunce, Granlund

Which means top 6 is:

Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Virtanen, Baertschi

and a surplus of Gagner, Eriksson, Liepsic, Archibald. I also feel like I am missing someone.

Edit: Goldobin, Dahlen, Motte.

Something has to give.

Last edited:
Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
O

Only one question for you

You are watching a perennial bottom 5 team in Vancouver. Do you want to watch the future in young players or watch another bottom 5 year with no upside mediocre veteran players?

I want to watch......

1) Young players that are truly ready (Pettersson, Gaudette, possibly Hughes) play in the line-up
2) other future young Canucks players go the AHL, get plenty of ice-time and offensive opportunities, and nicely develop their games (Lind, Dahlen, Juolevi, Motte, Gadjovich, etc.).
3) guys like Pettersson and Hughes be protected out there and not have opposing team members take liberties with them.
4) this team be tough to play against.
5) strong leadership on this team, with a leadership group showing the kids what being a successful NHL pro is all about.
6) some of the placeholders (i.e. Hutton, Baertschi, Goldobin, Stecher, etc.), be traded for draft picks.

Leipsic-Horvat-Eriksson
Pettersson-Gagner-Boeser
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce-Beagle-Gaudette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad