GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We had 5? Both teams seem to have 8 players 23 and under on their roster? Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce, Goldobin, Motte, Leipsic = 8. Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, Wood, Zacha, Serverson, Santini, Mueller = 8. They had Appleby and Quennenville play a few games at the end of the year, but we also had Sautner, Demko and Gaudette play games too.

Maybe he means full timers?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Currently we need a center to take some of the hard minutes from Bo and Sutter. Beagle will do that like Malholtra once did. His taking those hard minutes allows both Bo and Sutter to play more offensively.

Sutter has never had more then 40 points. Even if you are putting him in offensive positions he won't get you 40 points. Remember 2015-16? Where we put him in offensive positions to succeed and he failed miserably.

This reeks of the Prust acquisition because Dorsett couldn't do his job we overpaid him for so we needed 2 goon plugs who costed us 5 million dollars. And in the end how many more games did we win?

Sutter isn't good offensively, Sutter should be put in the Malhotra position, he's pretty useless outside that role anyway.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I honestly can't fathom why we acquired Goldobin at all instead of a better pick package if we weren't going to give him an extended opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level.
Yup. He has yet to prove he's an NHLer (or not) because he hasn't been given the chance. He is a top 6 player though, in this league or another. Last year was the best time to give him all the opportunity. With guys like Petterssen, Dahlen, and Gaudette coming into the fold, he might even get less of a chance. Signing Neal would sign his exit.
Hey but we can sign Hansen :help:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We can summarise Benning's tenure with the Canucks like this: ok drafting, a lot of awful trades, and a **** ton of bad contract signings . When you can't think you could get a lower bar, Jim Benning screams: "You know, hold my beer , you know, I got this, you know!"

Why I still support this hockey club?
I laughed reading this so true !!

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We had 5? Both teams seem to have 8 players 23 and under on their roster? Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce, Goldobin, Motte, Leipsic = 8. Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, Wood, Zacha, Serverson, Santini, Mueller = 8. They had Appleby and Quennenville play a few games at the end of the year, but we also had Sautner, Demko and Gaudette play games too.

Included full time nhl players not tweeners/call ups. Never included Santini. Mueller did not play many games due to injury, without him, it’s still 7 to 5 in favour of Jersey.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Is vegas dumb? nearly 3 million for a fourth liner who puts up under 10 points?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sutter wouldn't clear waivers.

No comparison to Eriksson, who is on one of the worst contracts in the league.
I'm sure you're right about Sutter. GMs don't seem to believe what they see regarding his on ice performance. I'd like to test your theory on the waiver wire this summer, but...not going to happen of course.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
George McPhee deserves credit for the Vegas season, but he will be exposed sooner than later. The Tatar trade was bad and it there will probably be a few more questionable moves this off-season.

Just some baseless speculation, but it has me wondering about McPhee/Vegas. If you look at the organization as a whole, they really hit it out of the park - marketing, player selection, coaching, etc.

Now building a team through an expansion draft is going to take a ton of work, so there's probably a whole lot done by committee. Negotiating for a single trade or player signing on the other hand, comes closer to being the singular work of the GM. Not to take anything away from McPhee and his success with Vegas last season, but I'm wondering if a lot of it didn't come from the 'by committee' part where McPhee gets to receive the credit without actually having to do the work, while something like the Tatar trade is more the usual GM George McPhee - the guy notorious for trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat, was fired in Washington and left out of the league till the Vegas job.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm sure you're right about Sutter. GMs don't seem to believe what they see regarding his on ice performance. I'd like to test your theory on the waiver wire this summer, but...not going to happen of course.

The trades with Anaheim and Pittsburgh that led to Sutter were both bad. The contract was bad.

But, the reality is the cap has gone up and Sutter for 13 million over the next 3 years is going to be better than a ton of deals signed tomorrow. The Canucks will get value when they do decide to move on from Sutter.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The trades with Anaheim and Pittsburgh that led to Sutter were both bad. The contract was bad.

But, the reality is the cap has gone up and Sutter for 13 million over the next 3 years is going to be better than a ton of deals signed tomorrow. The Canucks will get value when they do decide to move on from Sutter.
I think you like Brandon Sutter more than I do my friend. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad