GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Love the Beagle signing but hate the Roussell signing. I grew tired of the Burrows / Lappiere antics and adding a rat like Roussell will only bring more cheap shot retaliations to our team. Roussel is a worse fighter than Dorsett and he throws more cheap shots

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Love the Beagle signing but hate the Roussell signing. I grew tired of the Burrows / Lappiere antics and adding a rat like Roussell will only bring more cheap shot retaliations to our team. Roussel is a worse fighter than Dorsett and he throws more cheap shots
There’s nobody worse at fighting than Dorsett. Maybe Prust

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
We seem be regressing from the Dave Nonis 'horribly overpay for David Clarkson' Toronto model to the Cliff Fletcher/JFJ 'horribly overpay for Jeff Finger' Toronto model.

We're going to the Steve Tambellini Oilers model:

Basically a carbon-copy of their 2011 off-season. Tambellini was fired 2 years later, let's home it doesn't take as long for Jimbo.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is the one that kills me. You see a team like NJ place 3 rookies aged 18, 19, and 22 in key roles and go from a bottom 5 team to a playoff team ...

And we’re still here frightened to ruin a 22 year old Gaudette or a 23 year old Goldobin by having them make the team without at least a dozen vets to insulate and mentor them.

It’s frustrating beyond belief.

I think Washington is a good example team to look at now too, not necessarily in terms of playing kids but rather with some of the depth guys they employed en-route to winning the Cup: Connolly, Smith-Pelly, Stephenson, Chiason.

In chasing after Beagle and Roussell the net effect is likely an 'upgrade' on guys like Gaunce and Archibald. But these guys aren't we why were bad, Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald I believe played as a 4th line and were perfectly serviceable. In fact I'd bet you could Washington's 4th line of Stephenson-Beagle-Smith-Pelly (I think it was?) and they still win the Cup. Probably not much difference between Goldobin and Burakovsky or Vrana either.

But the key lesson here is that you need the core guys to win, while the depth players around them don't necessarily need to be spectacular, but they do usually need to be cheap.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We definitely didn’t “win” the draft. No team with 6 picks “wins” the draft, unless they are drafting 1OA.
Matters how high you think about Hughes, I am incredibly high on him, to the point that I truly think he will be the best D-man in our franchise history, and a future norris winner.

So if you take it lucky that he dropped to Vancouver unexpectedly , I will take that as a "win".

That being said, Islanders had a stupidly good draft also

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We are all backwards.

We are worried about bad contracts and term etc. Who cares? Not our money, and the term doesn’t matter. We aren’t competing for a cup in the next 4 years. Sign them all for 3-4 years. Let all the junk contracts like Loui , Sutter, Beagle, expire on the same year. Then make a real push. These next 4 years don’t matter.

The real issue is that we are becoming the Edmonton (pre-mcdavid) of destinations. It’s getting hard to sign good UFAs to a constant basement dweller.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
We are all backwards.

We are worried about bad contracts and term etc. Who cares? Not our money, and the term doesn’t matter. We aren’t competing for a cup in the next 4 years. Sign them all for 3-4 years. Let all the junk contracts like Loui , Sutter, Beagle, expire on the same year. Then make a real push. These next 4 years don’t matter.

The real issue is that we are becoming the Edmonton (pre-mcdavid) of destinations. It’s getting hard to sign good UFAs to a constant basement dweller.

Lets sign 23 1 way deals of shitty bottom 6ers and let the kids gel in AHL!

Reactions: The Drop

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
We are all backwards.

And in 4 years none of the current prospects will have had the opportunity to develop into effective NHLers. Sounds like a plan to me.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Matters how high you think about Hughes, I am incredibly high on him, to the point that I truly think he will be the best D-man in our franchise history, and a future norris winner.

So if you take it lucky that he dropped to Vancouver unexpectedly , I will take that as a "win".

That being said, Islanders had a stupidly good draft also
But you say that about every Canucks prospects ...

Reactions: The Drop

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Canucks are like 'two organizations in one". They get an A- for drafting and a 'D' for trades and UFA signings. Why is this? It seems to me if you can successfully project 18-year old prospects in a draft, you should be even easier to assess what pro players in other organizations would potentially bring to the table.....but this regard, the pro scouting staff just seems to be brain-dead.

Outside if getting to pick high because we suck the Canucks haven't really done anything with drafting to suggest we've moved beyond the median average. Yes from our own perspective it's improved over prior years, but it's not hard to improve on something when you're starting from the basement.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The Score just reported that James Neal was just spotted in Vancouver and is likely to meet with Benning and co.
Neal turned down Vegas 5 year 25 million dollar offer.

He's only 30 I'd much rather give Neal say 3-4 years 5.5-6 million per than Beagle/Rousell 3-4 million per

Reactions: Red

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This team doesn't need over priced bottom 6 players. This team needs to develop talent.

The problem is that this regime thinks that the best way to develop talent is to insulate it with less talented players that offer character and grit. They overpay because they are bad with money. So it’s a philosophical error on top of a fiscal error.

They should be insulating youth with talent. That lightens the load. Instead, they are increasing the burden on that young talent by having them compensate for overpaid, less talented players.

They are actually making it harder for the youth to flourish, not easier.

Reactions: WTG

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The Score just reported that James Neal was just spotted in Vancouver and is likely to meet with Benning and co.
Neal turned down Vegas 5 year 25 million dollar offer.

He's only 30 I'd much rather give Neal say 3-4 years 5.5-6 million per than Beagle/Rousell 3-4 million per
oh boy. They better be getting picks for Baertschi if they're signing Neal.

Reactions: Red

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
There’s nobody worse at fighting than Dorsett. Maybe Prust
There are lots of players worse at fighting than Dorsett and Prust. Roussel happens to be one of them

Dorsett was actually a pretty good fighter for his size. He fought a lot and usually won as many as he lost. Roussel fights less and loses way more than he wins. Roussel is also way more of an agitator than Dorsett and he hides behind his visor with his chin strap tapped so its harder to get off

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
But you say that about every Canucks prospects ...
Not remotely true.:pb:

Every single member on here has some players they like more than others, I shit on my fair share, and was wrong on my fair share, just like many on here.

Not to mention every single fanbase on hf-boards badly overrates their prospects, just the way it goes.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Future Norris winner. Oh my
What's wrong with that exactly? He has all the tools to win the norris in the future if the guy develops the way the scouts believe he can.

Is it realistic? probably not, is it possible? sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad