GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The New Jersey Devils had 8 players under the age of 23 on their roster and are a playoff team. The Canucks are a “rebuilding team” and had 5 (Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce). We have too much garbage blocking roster spots and these idiots want to add more? Youngsters get better and progress, veterans do not. Goldobin, Gaudette, Juolevi, Pettersson should be in the line up for the season opener!

Jesper Bratt 19
Will Butcher 23
Nico Heischer 19
Mirco Mueller 22
Damon Severson 23
Miles Wood 22
Pavel Zacha 20
Stephen Noesen 23

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think anyone would argue that he's a decent 4th line, depth player...but not one who you go out and overpay for because he played a marginal role in a cup victory.
very fair statement.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
We can summarise Benning's tenure with the Canucks like this: ok drafting, a lot of awful trades, and a shit ton of bad contract signings . When you can't think you could get a lower bar, Jim Benning screams: "You know, hold my beer , you know, I got this, you know!"

Why I still support this hockey club?

Reactions: Caspian

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Matters how high you think about Hughes, I am incredibly high on him, to the point that I truly think he will be the best D-man in our franchise history, and a future norris winner.

So if you take it lucky that he dropped to Vancouver unexpectedly , I will take that as a "win".

That being said, Islanders had a stupidly good draft also

Sure, I like Hughes a lot. That said, he’s still likely only the 4th or 5th best prospect in this draft AT THE MOMENT. Picking him doesn’t mean we won the draft, because using the logic of only your first round pick then clearly Buffalo “won” the draft, and after them Carolina.

And obviously your first round pick isn’t the only thing that matters so even beyond that it’s debatable whether we even had a “good” draft outside of Hughes.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
We can summarise Benning's tenure with the Canucks like this: ok drafting, a lot of awful trades, and a **** ton of bad contract signings . When you can't think you could get a lower bar, Jim Benning screams: "You know, hold my beer , you know, I got this, you know!"

Why I still support this hockey club?

I will basically forgive jimbo entirely if he actually properly weaponizes his capspace and gets Hossa for a 1st, or even seabrook for a 1st + other picks.

I can see it now tho "We have an extra pick this year in the draft, you know. We got the 6th rounder from the trade last year, we are commited to the rebuild, blah blah"

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Sure, I like Hughes a lot. That said, he’s still likely only the 4th or 5th best prospect in this draft AT THE MOMENT. Picking him doesn’t mean we won the draft, because using the logic of only your first round pick then clearly Buffalo “won” the draft, and after them Carolina.

And obviously your first round pick isn’t the only thing that matters so even beyond that it’s debatable whether we even had a “good” draft outside of Hughes.
Fair enough.

That being said, nobody knows who will be good or trash in 5 years from now, just predictions.

I still remember the MDC draft pick, islanders fans seemed so happy if I remember correctly.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fair enough.

That being said, nobody knows who will be good or trash in 5 years from now, just predictions.

I still remember the MDC draft pick, islanders fans seemed so happy if I remember correctly.

Sure but then we should probably avoid proclaiming that we “won” the draft as an offset to the rest of the puzzling stuff Benning does. Picking Hughes was great but let’s acknowledge that we were able to do so only because a) We had a terrible season, and b) Arizona has some funny draft plans. I credit Benning with not running from Hughes but that’s about it. He could have selected Dobson or Wahlstrom instead and he’d have still gotten credit for a good first pick. And the rest of the draft is a big question mark until we see how various players progress.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hughes and Woo will become our elite top pair for a decade. I say they dominate the league for the 2020’s. It’s going to be our most celebrated and decorated 10 year period. I predict 3 Stanley Cups!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think anyone would argue that he's a decent 4th line, depth player...but not one who you go out and overpay for because he played a marginal role in a cup victory.
Currently we need a center to take some of the hard minutes from Bo and Sutter. Beagle will do that like Malholtra once did. His taking those hard minutes allows both Bo and Sutter to play more offensively.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Currently we need a center to take some of the hard minutes from Bo and Sutter. Beagle will do that like Malholtra once did. His taking those hard minutes allows both Bo and Sutter to play more offensively.

Isn't that what we overpaid to have the "foundational" Sutter for? It's certainly not for his offense.

Reactions: lindgren

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Beagle plays in straight lines. He takes contact all over the ice, thus making him hard to play against. He plays the right way.
I know, I’ve seen him play. I don’t think he’s worth a 3 year deal at over 2.5M per, especially at his age.

And we’ve all seen Sutter used “offensively” by WD, it wasn’t pretty. Green used him correctly as a hard minute Center. Sutter helps the team in that role but hurts the team eating up easier 5v5 mins + PP time

So the Beagle signing doesn’t make much sense.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I will basically forgive jimbo entirely if he actually properly weaponizes his capspace and gets Hossa for a 1st, or even seabrook for a 1st + other picks.

I can see it now tho "We have an extra pick this year in the draft, you know. We got the 6th rounder from the trade last year, we are commited to the rebuild, blah blah"
Just remember that those contracts both count against the cap.

a) Seabrook is going to worse because he's playing, not ltir yet, for another 6 years. Think how many of the youngsters are going to be on their 2nd and 3rd contracts by then ($5-10m each). If Pettersson and Hughes live up the hype that is $8-12m each, plus whoever we draft in the next few years plus Bennings next wave of UFAs. At the time the team is breaking out 2021ish, Seabrook will still be crippling it for years. Now imagine if the 1st you get turns out to be a bust or 3rd/4th liner...ugly.

b) Hossa, will be permanently LTIR'd, he's not coming back, but he still eats up the cap space, and that means rookie bonuses will be harder to fit under the current year's cap and you will be deferring them to the next year's cap which will still have Hossa.

Ideally

1) Ideally you want to be $4+m under for the rookie bonuses every year during this period so you don't get stuck with carry over. 3 years is achievable if they don't waste money on 4th liners and fill up the cap so you can burn the bonuses the year they earned.

2) you can use the space every year if you don't lock it up for long term deals, a series of short deals and 1 year UFA signing may give a better return.

3) having cap space could be useful in the long run if a good UFA comes around at the right time, having it all locked up in long term cap dumps could cripple your offer. I'd rather have 6 2nds than 1 1st unless it is a great 1st (we aren't getting one of those).

Last edited:
Reactions: THE Green Man

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Fair enough.

So then let’s no praise benning for this draft at all. Can probably say the same about last year’s draft too.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I know, I’ve seen him play. I don’t think he’s worth a 3 year deal at over 2.5M per, especially at his age.

And we’ve all seen Sutter used “offensively” by WD, it wasn’t pretty. Green used him correctly as a hard minute Center. Sutter helps the team in that role but hurts the team eating up easier 5v5 mins + PP time

So the Beagle signing doesn’t make much sense.

Why are we still even talking about $2.5M per for 3 years? Based on the reports late yesterday and today, it’s likely to be much higher than that. :laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think Washington is a good example team to look at now too, not necessarily in terms of playing kids but rather with some of the depth guys they employed en-route to winning the Cup: Connolly, Smith-Pelly, Stephenson, Chiason.

In chasing after Beagle and Roussell the net effect is likely an 'upgrade' on guys like Gaunce and Archibald. But these guys aren't we why were bad, Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald I believe played as a 4th line and were perfectly serviceable. In fact I'd bet you could Washington's 4th line of Stephenson-Beagle-Smith-Pelly (I think it was?) and they still win the Cup. Probably not much difference between Goldobin and Burakovsky or Vrana either.

But the key lesson here is that you need the core guys to win, while the depth players around them don't necessarily need to be spectacular, but they do usually need to be cheap.

If you aren't spending more on your bottom 6 than your top 6 you aren't following the new Benning "Bottoms Up: Mentor to Victory" plan.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The New Jersey Devils had 8 players under the age of 23 on their roster and are a playoff team. The Canucks are a “rebuilding team” and had 5 (Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce).
We had 5? Both teams seem to have 8 players 23 and under on their roster? Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce, Goldobin, Motte, Leipsic = 8. Hischier, Butcher, Bratt, Wood, Zacha, Serverson, Santini, Mueller = 8. They had Appleby and Quennenville play a few games at the end of the year, but we also had Sautner, Demko and Gaudette play games too.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The New Jersey Devils had 8 players under the age of 23 on their roster and are a playoff team. The Canucks are a “rebuilding team” and had 5 (Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher, Gaunce). We have too much garbage blocking roster spots and these idiots want to add more? Youngsters get better and progress, veterans do not. Goldobin, Gaudette, Juolevi, Pettersson should be in the line up for the season opener!

Jesper Bratt 19
Will Butcher 23
Nico Heischer 19
Mirco Mueller 22
Damon Severson 23
Miles Wood 22
Pavel Zacha 20
Stephen Noesen 23

I always hear this myth that these Vets are blocking young players. Last season tell me which young player should of had a roster spot and didn't? Everybody from 2016 and 2017 draft were not ready including Pettersson Lind Gadjovich Juolevi. 2015 Gaudette return to College. 2014 Demko still need it all time. Goldobin wasn't ready in the 1st half and Got his chance in the second

Canucks are Interested in Nash and Beagle. Two centers, Canucks center depth right now Horvat Sutter and Gaudette. So not sure who they will be stealing a spot from? Also There going to be injuries.

Rousell is lw. He is probably going to play Sutter on the checking line. Everyone this forum said they want any young players playing with Sutter.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We are all backwards.

We are worried about bad contracts and term etc. Who cares? Not our money, and the term doesn’t matter. We aren’t competing for a cup in the next 4 years. Sign them all for 3-4 years. Let all the junk contracts like Loui , Sutter, Beagle, expire on the same year. Then make a real push. These next 4 years don’t matter.

The real issue is that we are becoming the Edmonton (pre-mcdavid) of destinations. It’s getting hard to sign good UFAs to a constant basement dweller.

Maybe if we cared about spending money intelligently and building a better team they would come. Maybe a horribly run flop of a team full of overpriced dud contracts is off putting to good UFAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Maybe if we cared about spending money intelligently and building a better team they would come. Maybe a horribly run flop of a team full of overpriced dud contracts is off putting good UFA.
Yeah, the “who cares” crowd can’t seem to grasp this simple concept..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad