GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think gaunce will be gone. No room on the team for him. If he goes to Utica I guarantee he asks for a trade.

And quite frankly I don't care. I think gaunce is terrible

And at 24 likely to always be terrible. But if you’re a 24 y/o that Benning brings in then you of course aren’t done developing and are showing signs of potential.

Reactions: rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
maybe so.

Gaunce Granlund Gagner Boucher Archibald .....would love to see better players for all these guys. In fact if they really want to send a message i would love to see any or all them cut loose. For the first 3 if they dont make significant improvements strting this October i would prefer to see them gone. And i know you like Gaunce but he has to be able to do more before its worth clinging to his defensive play. One dimensional defenseman are hard enough to employ i find it more agregious when the player is a winger.....just my 2C and bythe way i feel like he's smart enough and technical enough to do it but we cant be waiting till he's 28

Gaunce and Archibald play a defensive role and do it well. Both are as good as Jay Beagle at a fraction of the price. You need guys like this.

The other 3 are trash.

Reactions: Peen and timw33

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
And the counter-rationalizing as well. Both sides are just getting a head start.

Given that this team has had the worst record in the NHL over the last 3 years and is clearly in need of a full rebuild, with personnel moves well planned and consistent with that rebuild what is there to rationalize?

How can anyone be happy with locking up old, mediocre players on long term contracts?

Reactions: JuniorNelson

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Given that this team has had the worst record in the NHL over the last 3 years and is clearly in need of a full rebuild, with personnel moves well planned and consistent with that rebuild what is there to rationalize?

How can anyone be happy with locking up old, mediocre players on long term contracts?

I don’t know, but they’ll be here presenting all the reasons why X player signed for X years at X term really wasn’t “too bad” and that “all the chicken littles” on this board are “overreacting over nothing”.

It’s been 5 years, the patterns are pretty well established by now.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
i mean what is the worst that can happen without these crippling UFA contracts? We finish 29th AGAIN?
That's exactly right. And that ain't such a bad thing.

They need to have a vision that in two years (starting 20/21) they will have a series of the now young guys as regulars in their line-up or pushing for spots:

Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette and Virtanen should all be top or middle six players.

They have to expect that one or two of Gaunce, Leipsic, Motte, and Goldobin will show that they belong.

One of Lind or Gadjovich may be ready.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if at least one of Palmu, Madden, or Jasek pushed for a spot.

And Eriksson and Sutter will still be under contract.

By signing aging UFAs to three year contracts they are definitely damaging the development of the players. Two years I can live with.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE Green Man

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Getting into a bidding war for 33 y/o Jay Beagle might be the dumbest thing Jim Benning has done so far, and that's saying something. What a complete joke.

Mind boggling how he can continue to stumble along this ill fated path after 5 years when teams like the Leafs have shown exactly how to use free agency and build a top prospect system.

Reactions: MS and Peen

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette and Virtanen should all be top or middle six players.

They have to expect that one or two of Gaunce, Leipsic, Motte, and Goldobin will show that they belong.

Yeah they might expect these guys to reach their potential, but how are they supposed to develop when we have just so much crud clogging up the roster taking up all the opportunities from all of these guys as the coach and managers want to have established veteran "leaders" showing them the way, even though teams like Colorado and New Jersey have clearly shown a path forward by ditching all of their vets and going with youth speed and skill.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah they might expect these guys to reach their potential, but how are they supposed to develop when we have just so much crud clogging up the roster taking up all the opportunities from all of these guys as the coach and managers want to have established veteran "leaders" showing them the way, even though teams like Colorado and New Jersey have clearly shown a path forward by ditching all of their vets and going with youth speed and skill.

Completely.

Other teams are not afraid to go with skill and youth but the management on our bottom feeder needs veteran mentorship and culture carrying to finish in the bottom 5 every year.

Reactions: MS

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't buy the ditch everything and let the young guys fake it til they make it. Because it will cause some of them not to make it. I'm more for giving them every opportunity to succeed within the limits of their development. Dahlen is a perfect example. Reports are that he struggled mightly at the beginning of the year and it was more because of his mental rather than physical game. It was apparently the main reason he didn't make the move to the SHL in January. But, by the end of the year, he was tearing up the Allsvenskan and basically carried Timra to promotion. It was a perfect year for his development after the mono setback.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I doubt rookies look around the room and go "well if that dip**** has played this long I'll be fine" BUT even if they do:
-Eriksson 838 GP
-Gagner 770 GP
-Edler 758 GP
-Sutter 657 GP
-Del Zotto 566 GP

Plenty of scrubs to mentor guys.

Edler, a top pairing defenseman for years, you call a scrub?

Gagner, who holds the NHL record for most points scored in a single game and came off a 60 point season before signing here, You call a scrub?

I could go on and on. None of the guys you listed are all stars (even though most were at one point) but none of them are scrubs.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As I've said throughout this thread, more than 2 years is too long. I would prefer 1 year deals. I understand the desire to bring in guys like Beagle and Roussel but it would be a problem if it's 3 years or longer.
But, as UFAs the issue is that it's unlikely they will be available for shorter term contracts. In this case, I would walk away and accept that guys like Gaunce, Motte, Leipsic, Granlund, and Gagner will be filling out the bottom 6 until guys like Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen are ready.

It's really amazing looking with looking at the UFA's he's going after just the complete collection of junk Benning has acquired, he may be the first and only 'hoarder' GM I've ever seen. Looking at forward we basically already have 16 guys in the mix:

Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Gagner, Granlund, Boeser, Gaudette, Pettersson, Gaunce, Leipsic, Boucher, Archibald, Virtanen, Baerstchi, Motte, Goldobin

Benning could still surprise us but there doesn't seem to be any plan on moving guys other than pushing them through waivers: Gaunce, Boucher, Goldobin, or waiver exempt players who at this point should be getting a shot at the team: Pettersson, Gaudette, Motte, or just letting them walk: Archibald (I'm assuming we're not going to try with Dowd and Jokinen).

As things stand now this is more or less the position we were in to start last season, after adding a number of UFA's. So it's going to be laughable if/when we pay a premium to add more bottom six guys like Beagle and Roussel on premium multi-year contracts.

Reactions: MS

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Gagner, who holds the NHL record for most points scored in a single game and came off a 60 point season before signing here, You call a scrub?

I could go on and on. None of the guys you listed are all stars (even though most were at one point) but none of them are scrubs.

Call them what you want.

Are you happy with what Loui Eriksson has put out for the last 2 years? Looking forward to 4 more years of it?

Looking forward to 2 more years of 10 goals from Sam Gagner?

CLEARLY, free agency has not been a success for Jim Benning. Might be time to revisit the approach dont you think?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t know, but they’ll be here presenting all the reasons why X player signed for X years at X term really wasn’t “too bad” and that “all the chicken littles” on this board are “overreacting over nothing”.

It’s been 5 years, the patterns are pretty well established by now.

Last year it was that we were following the 'Toronto model' and we were going to dump all these guys at the deadline.

Reactions: WTG and Peen

Chwc

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver
Other teams are picking up free draft picks meanwhile Jimbo is getting into a heated bidding war over a 33 year old 4C.

Peak Benning.

Agreed,the management's priority is awful. You have Linden saying is difficult to utilize the cap space as a weapon due to Vegas, but there are already multiple deals that involve teams gaining picks by using cap space.

I seem to recall there was a tweet saying de Haan's agent reach out to Canucks to see if there's interest. And yet Benning is using 5.5 to 6 mil to sign 2 bottom 6 gritty fwds when he could use that money to sign de Haan. I understand there's a logjam of LD but they should make room for de Haan by trading away mdz and/or Hutton

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Completely.

Other teams are not afraid to go with skill and youth but the management on our bottom feeder needs veteran mentorship and culture carrying to finish in the bottom 5 every year.

This is the one that kills me. You see a team like NJ place 3 rookies aged 18, 19, and 22 in key roles and go from a bottom 5 team to a playoff team ...

And we’re still here frightened to ruin a 22 year old Gaudette or a 23 year old Goldobin by having them make the team without at least a dozen vets to insulate and mentor them.

It’s frustrating beyond belief.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

This is why we can't take the pro-Benning side seriously, because you have to make things up.

Gagner has never scored 60 points in a single season.

And last time I checked, Sam Gagner was not Darryl Sittler.

Stop making things up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's exactly right. And that ain't such a bad thing.

They need to have a vision that in two years (starting 20/21) they will have a series of the now young guys as regulars in their line-up or pushing for spots:

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if at least one of Palmu, Madden, or Jasek pushed for a spot.

And Eriksson and Sutter will still be under contract.

By signing aging UFAs to three year contracts they are definitely damaging the development of the players. Two years I can live with.

Being realistic:

Horvat/Boeser/Bear likely start the year on the top line
Sutter and a pair of wingers get the 2nd most ice time to play the checking role.

Then, it's up to Green to decide how to figure out who gets the 2nd offensive line and what type of 4th line he wants to see.

Best wingers for a pure checking role likely are Granlund/Gaunce/Eriksson/Leipsic. Don't see any reason to put anyone else there if Sutter is in a checking role.

Then, in the offensive role, you have the likes of Gaudette/Petterson/Goldy/Virtanen/Gagner competing. Can drop Bear down in replace of one of the wingers to balance out the youth.

4th line, honestly, given what Green had to role out there for the final line last season, mostly a mashup of Gagner/Vanek/Eriksson/Virtanen after the Henrik line, Bo line, and Sutter line, there was no consistency in offence from them.

They can afford to add 1 forward, but I don't see the need to add 2 this off-season.

Signed guys up front are:
Horvat/Boeser/Granlund/Gaunce/Eriksson/Gagner/Sutter/Leipsic
ELC Gaudette/Petterson/Dahlen/Goldobin/Motte
RFA in Bear and Virtanen

That's 15 guys. I don't expect either of Lind or Gadjovich to make the roster. Best to let them play in the A.

Adding 1 forward like Beagle brings them to 16 guys.

Motte likely sent to the AHL, drops them to 15. Dahlen likely starts in the A as well, so that drops them to 14. They will carry 8 D, so 1 more F needs to go down. Goldy needs to clear waivers. Gaudette and Pettersson don't, but doubt the fans would be happy if they put up a solid pre-season and get sent down. Pretty much leaves them to drop Leipsic. He needs a good camp to show that he belongs as well.

They shouldn't be adding contracts greater than 3 years. I mean, Nik Hjamarlsson got extended 2 years in AZ. His current deal expires when he's 32. Edler is 32 now so his deal expires at age 33. Guaranteed that if this group keeps Edler, it will be longer than 2 years that Hammer got in AZ.

Even with guys like Edler/Hutton/Nilsson/MDZ/Granlund, Gaunce/Leipsic/Goldobin/Dorsett coming off the books in 2019, there is no need to cram up too much bottom end guys. Overpaid bottom end guys with term don't net you anything in terms of a trade.

Between Loui/Sutter/Gagner and say another $3 million for Beagle, that would be about $16.5 million for these 4 guys.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

When the actual f*** were Sutter, Gagner, and Del Zotto ever all stars outside of maybe playing in the Young Stars game as rookies? And for Sutter you’d have to go back even further than that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the one that kills me. You see a team like NJ place 3 rookies aged 18, 19, and 22 in key roles and go from a bottom 5 team to a playoff team ...

And we’re still here frightened to ruin a 22 year old Gaudette or a 23 year old Goldobin by having them make the team without at least a dozen vets to insulate and mentor them.

It’s frustrating beyond belief.
I get worrying about teenagers. Guess the McCann/Virtanen experiments in 15-16 spooked this group. But, that was more on them for not sending these kids down when they had the chance. They were trying to do 2 things at the same time and had a HC who knew if he didn't win, that he would get canned. Plus where was the leadership of the team to take care of the bad habits behind the scenes?

But, only Pettersson is 19. Gaudette is turning 22 at the beginning of the year and Goldy will be 23 around the same time. Virtanen is also 22. 3/4 guys are not kids. This trio should be physically mature, with maybe Gaudette slightly behind what his ideal build should be, but not by much.

And contrary to the players who are getting signed until they are 37 like the twins and Eriksson, a player's prime years generally do not extend past 34. I mean, half of the great 2003 draft class are not what they used to be.

Reactions: CanaFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad