GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think they're looking at these bottom 6 spots as 'veteran grit/glue' roles and as such are looking to fill them with Beagle, Roussel, Granlund rather than relative NHL rookies like Archibald. Here's hoping they don't have egregious contract lengths though...

You dont win UFA bidding wars without term. That is the worst part. 36 year old Beagle on year 3 taking a roster spot from Zack MacEwen or Jonah Gadjovich or Adam Gaudette

Reactions: timw33

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think they're looking at these bottom 6 spots as 'veteran grit/glue' roles and as such are looking to fill them with Beagle, Roussel, Granlund rather than relative NHL rookies like Archibald. Here's hoping they don't have egregious contract lengths though...
Agreed. Lind, Gadjovich and others are a couple of years away. It is a balance of bringing in solid NHLers while allowing the young guys to develop - some at the NHL level and others in the AHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
and thats the thing. Overpay them on short term but dont saddle yourself to 3-4 yr contracts

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't particularly like Roussel on 4 years..thats too long for a guy that is essentially Burrows...

The Canucks are not going to be in any kind of cap trouble..Guddys only on a 3 year as well,..Sutters will be gone by that time (plus he has a modified NTC after this season,ands teams are interested)..We don't have any superstar contracts yet,unlike Edmonton and Chicago with their top heavy salary structure.

4 years is 2 years too long IMO.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Agreed. Lind, Gadjovich and others are a couple of years away. It is a balance of bringing in solid NHLers while allowing the young guys to develop - some at the NHL level and others in the AHL.

Yes and in two years when they are ready we will have Beagle and Roussel taking their roster spots

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
hope not.

Signing mediocre veterans to 3-4 year deals to a rebuilding youth movement is ridiculous. 5 years in and Linden and Benning have learned nothing

The blue print is there in Toronto and Winnipeg. How daft are these guys?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
tenor.gif

if i could just borrow Bennings cell right now this would happen

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Beagle contract ends up being 4 years, $3.25M/year with some sort of NTC.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If the Canucks did up their offer for Beagle and outbid every single other team, it's certainly possible for it be a 4-year deal.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Signing mediocre veterans to 3-4 year deals to a rebuilding youth movement is ridiculous. 5 years in and Linden and Benning have learned nothing
As I've said throughout this thread, more than 2 years is too long. I would prefer 1 year deals. I understand the desire to bring in guys like Beagle and Roussel but it would be a problem if it's 3 years or longer.
But, as UFAs the issue is that it's unlikely they will be available for shorter term contracts. In this case, I would walk away and accept that guys like Gaunce, Motte, Leipsic, Granlund, and Gagner will be filling out the bottom 6 until guys like Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen are ready.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
BTW who are those saying Beagle is gritty and physical? He had 28 pims last year.

Anyone want to bet on the odds they've mistaken Jay Beagle for Tom Wilson ?

Can't believe we're in a bidding war for a 33 year old 4th liner. I'm going to go ahead and say Gilman is using his new job in Toronto to screw with Benning by raising the $$ on Beagle.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't particularly like Roussel on 4 years..thats too long for a guy that is essentially Burrows...

The Canucks are not going to be in any kind of cap trouble..Guddys only on a 3 year as well,..Sutters will be gone by that time (plus he has a modified NTC after this season,ands teams are interested)..We don't have any superstar contracts yet,unlike Edmonton and Chicago with their top heavy salary structure.

Remember when you said Benning had learned you liked what he's done? :laugh:

Enjoy :D

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
As I've said throughout this thread, more than 2 years is too long. I would prefer 1 year deals. I understand the desire to bring in guys like Beagle and Roussel but it would be a problem if it's 3 years or longer.
But, as UFAs the issue is that it's unlikely they will be available for shorter term contracts. In this case, I would walk away and accept that guys like Gaunce, Motte, Leipsic, Granlund, and Gagner will be filling out the bottom 6 until guys like Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen are ready.

i mean what is the worst that can happen without these crippling UFA contracts? We finish 29th AGAIN?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Did I say Archibald was useless? Inaccurately attributing extreme rhetoric to a post then saying the poster is wrong, isn't all that helpful. Though I acknowledge that it happens here all the time.

What I am saying is that for Archibald to earn a free agent contract and, as a 28 year old, take up a roster spot of a younger player, he needs to bring his best game all the time. To avoid any confusion what I mean by that is that he needs to bring it most nights. Everybody has off nights and are sometimes dealing with injuries.
As for Granlund, Roussel, Beagle etc I would say exactly the same thing. Otherwise guys like Gaunce, and Leipsic should be given the ice time - at least they still have a little development time left.
Looks like Gaunce can already prepare himself for a season in Utica.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So much overreacting on here. This team is not a cap team. And not a contender yet.

Bad moves are bad moves regardless of whether we spend to the cap (we went over the cap last year) or whether we're a contender.

If your management consistently makes awful moves and shows a complete lack of understanding of asset management, how comfortable are we going to feel that they can make the right moves when the time comes to compete?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So much overreacting on here. This team is not a cap team. And not a contender yet.

So they should sign more average veterans to long term deals instead of using cap space to acquire prospects and drafts picks? Or free agents on short term deals they can flip at trade deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad