Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can’t Cole and Nemeth just go away?

Thankfully, Nemeth isn’t signed and should walk as a UFA.

Unfortunately, we are tied to paying Ian Cole $4,250,000 a season on our third pair for a few more years.

I'm willing to give Cole one more season to redeem himself. He hasn't been a trainwreck the entire season, and hopefully with being Makar being around he can simplify his game.

Reactions: Perratrooper

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The actual unfortunate part is that Z hasn't forced him to the bottom pair yet.

Seriously. Excellent point. I mean, if you’ve been in the league for 4 years, were a first round pick with top 4 potential, and still haven’t passed Ian Cole... time to look in the mirror.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Avs_19

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seriously. Excellent point. I mean, if you’ve been in the league for 4 years, were a first round pick with top 4 potential, and still haven’t passed Ian Cole... time to look in the mirror.
Z has looked really bad the past four games, but Bednar has got to be a big reason why no? Zadorov got scratched or benched for every minor mistake while Cole and Barrie lost games on their own and got free passes. How Roy used Zadorov was way different than how Bednar has been using him.

Reactions: arun and AvsMakar08

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The actual unfortunate part is that Z hasn't forced him to the bottom pair yet.
Yeah. I absolutely love Z, but this season has definitely been a big disappointment.

I still don't want to see him traded though, I can't see us getting the value back on him. He does still bring a physical element that we really miss when he's not in the lineup.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Z has looked really bad the past four games, but Bednar has got to be a big reason why no? Zadorov got scratched or benched for every minor mistake while Cole and Barrie lost games on their own and got free passes. How Roy used Zadorov was way different than how Bednar has been using him.

I wish we could at least get a different defensive coach. I don't feel like anyone has really taken strides defensively, and some have regressed. For Pratt being touted for his coaching when it comes to defensive stick work. I haven't seen anyone improve in that area either.

Yeah. I absolutely love Z, but this season has definitely been a big disappointment.

I still don't want to see him traded though, I can't see us getting the value back on him. He does still bring a physical element that we really miss when he's not in the lineup.

No he brings a lot to the table and I definitely hope he stays.

Last edited:

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Can’t Cole and Nemeth just go away?

Thankfully, Nemeth isn’t signed and should walk as a UFA.

Unfortunately, we are tied to paying Ian Cole $4,250,000 a season on our third pair for a few more years.
Agreed, Nemeth can get lost honestly. Maybe replaced by Meloche? *crosses fingers*

Cole I think is a good bottom pairing guy and PKer, and can be a safety net for young Makar (who I believe should start his career sheltered on the 3rd pairing). Plus, we are stuck with Cole for 2 additional years either way.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wish we could at least get a different defensive coach. I don't feel like anyone has really taken strides defensively, and some have regressed. For Pratt being touted for his coaching when it comes to defensive stick work. I haven't seen anyone improve in that area either.

Girard and Nemeth are both definitely better players now than they were before coming here. I'm not sure anyone is worse under this coaching staff.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Girard and Nemeth are both definitely better players now than they were before coming here. I'm not sure anyone is worse under this coaching staff.

Barrie has definitely had times where hes been worse, but I guess if anything stagnant might be a more appropriate word.

Actually I think Girard has also had stretches of being worse defensively, but who knows where coaching and growing pains stop there. EJ is another, but everyone knows the obvious counter to that as well.

I'm just saying.. Have we seen anyone grow and become polished in any area from the defense? Or even show a consistent gradual upward trend? There is lots of other excuses for it, but alas.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

No he brings a lot to the table and I definitely hope he stays.
? I never said I hope he leaves, I said I hope he stays lol. But it's not a controversial thing to say that Z has been a disappointment so far in terms of what he can provide and what he has been providing. He brings an element that we lack and I definitely don't want him going anywhere, but he could be providing a lot more and the fact that he hasn't is frustrating.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Hopefully by the time Makar's season is over so will the regular season. What's the ATO deal? does that impact expansion?

There's a ton of questions surrounding this, if Makar plays this season I'd expect something similar to what Zach Werenski did a couple of years ago. Werenski signed an ATO for the Cleveland Monsters playoff run, and signed the ELC for the following season. Give the team a full 3 years of control.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I really don't think Bednar has been that hard on him lately to be honest. He's been making plenty of bad mistakes of late and hasn't really seen any real cutdown on ice time and certainly hasn't been scratched.

I've been critical of how he's utilized players this season, but I can't find a ton of fault with how he's handled Z. There are times the big guy just plain gets careless and lazy, personified no better than that weak behind-the-back pass that landed right on Patrick Kane's stick a couple games ago. Bednar has also put him in a position to succeed, right away pairing him with EJ and giving him top pairing minutes, he's just not finding the consistency. Roy IIRC kept him on a tighter leash and even sent him down to the minors for a time, he was a lot younger then than he is now.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Hopefully by the time Makar's season is over so will the regular season. What's the ATO deal? does that impact expansion?

From what I've read ATO's don't effect expansion, the best we can hope is UMass makes the fozen four and goes deep and it takes the temptation away from Joe and Co.

But if his season ends this Friday or Saturday... we all know he wants to go pro, looking around the league and watching other teams sign their less-skilled prospects to ELCs and letting them burn a year right away and get NHL time, why are we so sure Makar isn't going to want that? Wouldn't Makar's 'advisor' be telling him to get to his big pay day a year earlier? Makar seems like a smart kid, maybe he'll see the benifit of going to the AHL and helping his NHL team long term, but he'd definitely be taking a less valuable road for himself than some of the other, less-skilled, guys around him.

And CapFriendly already confirmed Fabbro is the same situation as Makar

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dreger says the Avs are anxiously waiting for UMass' season to end to sign Makar and made it sound like they'd burn the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ararana

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Dreger says the Avs are anxiously waiting for UMass' season to end to sign Makar and made it sound like they'd burn the year.

Oh man, Dreger sounds pretty confident the Avs will burn a year for Makar. Not super surprising if they end up doing it, it seems to be the going incentive for higher prospects now but also might not be the smartest move if they could talk Makar into an ATO.

Here's the quote for those who can't watch the video:
Colorado is obviously very interested in the outcome of that game [UMass v Harvard] and how deep UMass is going to continue in the NCAA postseason. Now Colorado wants to sign this guy as soon as UMass is elimatated but they're not going to know that, UMass is a good team they could go deep into the frozen four but, not dissimilar to Adam Fox, the expectation is when UMass is eliminated Cale Makar will sign with Colorado and as long as it's within season or in the NHL playoffs he too will burn off that first year of his ELC .

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm really not surprised. I think GMs in general learned from the last expansion draft, seeing how well Vegas is doing despite the teams at risk of giving up good players at the time doing everything they could to ensure they didn't, that you shouldn't react too much to the draft. It'll happen, if you're a good team you'll probably lose a pretty good player, so be it.

Now, this is a case where it'd be super easy to just not play Makar this season to save a year...and the smart thing to do because it is such a simple move (or lack of move) in order to protect an extra player...but this is also the Avs. Of course they want to show off one of the best drafted prospects in hockey. The Canucks, the team with the other best draft prospect in hockey, are planning to show off Hughes too. Looks like the Preds don't particularly care either with Fabbro. Plus, it's a really nice bonus to give to Makar (burning a year of his ELC+taste of the NHL) -- and the Avs probably don't want to look like they don't value Makar as much as the Canucks value Hughes, for example. Makar is good enough (or projects to be good enough) the Avs probably don't really care if they have to expose Zadorov, for instance, to the expansion draft.

Reactions: Sakics Snowblower

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Fabbro could easily threaten to stay another year if they didn’t burn. Makar would have to stay two... and that won’t happen. The smart move is hold him out until next season.

Reactions: cgf and avsfan09

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fabbro could easily threaten to stay another year if they didn’t burn. Makar would have to stay two... and that won’t happen. The smart move is hold him out until next season.

If Joe manages to pull it off and sign him without losing the year, great, but if he doesn't I won't hold anything against him. Makar is still in the driver's seat. Even if he won't go all the way to UFA he can still hold out one more season and Sakic knows the team needs him in Colorado next year. Plus, if they try to play tough in negotiations, that just doesn't set up a good dynamic going forward.

I'm not overtly worried about the expansion draft. The Avs only stand to lose one player, and we already know it won't be anyone from the top line, Makar, Girard, or whoever the Avs get in the draft this year. Worst case scenario they lose a high pick and/or prospect to "steer" Seattle elsewhere.

Way more concerned they lose a goalie.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd still be kinda surprised if they put Makar on the roster since...where the hell they gonna put him!? The team will already have eight healthy defensemen on the roster once Barberio returns, won't they have to waive someone in order for him to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad