Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So what exactly is he and BSN supposed to do when they get word from some BU connections that Bowers is going to stay, so they check w/ people in the Avs and it's not refuted? They ran with it because that's the info they got and then corroborated w/ the Avs.

It arises today that the info may no longer be accurate and, as CE says, they put out an update that the information they previously had may no longer be accurate.

Like what the f*** are they supposed to do? I mean that's kind of a damned if they do/damned if they don't situation (as is sports journalism), but if they're on top of something then some semblance of credit should be given, no?

(As far as Ryan Clark and the Athletic...I mean he writes some great pieces, but it doesn't seem like he's on the everyday beat. So in reality it's not a straight comparison)

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As I've always said with BSN... they are just too quick to run with things. I'm sure AJ heard both and reported on it as quick as he knew. What he probably should have done is heard the first one, keep digging away at the story to confirm it, find out it may change, and then be the first to report it. They have an itchy trigger finger. Taking a step back would build them a bit more credibility, even if they don't end up first... they end up right.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't have a problem with the BSN crew for the most part. Their modus operandi is obviously to try and get the scoop and get it out there as soon as possible. Clarke and the Athletic like to take their time and come out with more long-form pieces. And it's not like they're the only ones who had to post a correction, MHH also had a piece on Bowers returning to school.

I don't think this was a failure of journalism, this was merely a young kid changing his mind about his career path while he still had time to do so. It happens.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So what exactly is he and BSN supposed to do when they get word from some BU connections that Bowers is going to stay, so they check w/ people in the Avs and it's not refuted? They ran with it because that's the info they got and then corroborated w/ the Avs.

It arises today that the info may no longer be accurate and, as CE says, they put out an update that the information they previously had may no longer be accurate.

Like what the **** are they supposed to do? I mean that's kind of a damned if they do/damned if they don't situation (as is sports journalism), but if they're on top of something then some semblance of credit should be given, no?

(As far as Ryan Clark and the Athletic...I mean he writes some great pieces, but it doesn't seem like he's on the everyday beat. So in reality it's not a straight comparison)
Well they could start with lighter hitting piece kind of play it safe like season is over, but still getting mixed signals from his camp kind of piece, until they have absolute confirmation, then report it.

But the problem with BSN and it's been that way since day 1 is they want to prove to everyone they are legit and the most reliable place for Avs news. So they jump the gun on a lot of stuff, so they can say we had that info first, but they only have some facts but not the whole story. Their source is like some bag guy at the grocery store, I kid. But I look at a guy like Ryan Clark who says I sat down with Bowers father about a month ago and it was totally up in the air then and today on the radio he he says the same thing. Because it's the truth. And I'm sure he'll cover the topic once it gets a resolution. I respect that a lot more than flip floping because you wanted to be the first to report it. And I'm sure he'll have some nice info that BSN doesn't have.

BSN also used to have two writers put out both sides of the story so they could say, see told you we were right, and then they'd bury the wrong side article. This sat really poorly with me. They don't do that much anymore, but I thought it was kind of a sleezy way to go about things to build their rep.

Overall you get what you get with them. Some people like them and that's fine. I personally take everything they say with a grain of salt because I know there is a decent chance it's going to opposite of what they are reporting.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As I've always said with BSN... they are just too quick to run with things. I'm sure AJ heard both and reported on it as quick as he knew. What he probably should have done is heard the first one, keep digging away at the story to confirm it, find out it may change, and then be the first to report it. They have an itchy trigger finger. Taking a step back would build them a bit more credibility, even if they don't end up first... they end up right.

I don’t disagree really with the thought process. However I will say that when I talked with him the day they put out that Bowers was staying he told me that they did it because he got some info from some BU people, and then he talked with the Avs and they didn’t refute it. That it was more-or-less a situation where they were fine with it if he wanted to stay.

At the end of the day though, there’s nothing wrong with wanting quality content regarding the Avs. At least there are now more options than Mike f***ing Chambers and the DP.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Screenshot_2019_03_25_at_7.40.05_PM.0.png

How I react to CamMo’s (eventual) game winner when there’s still 21:48 of regulation hockey to play. #whysoserious #whataspazz

Attachments

• BE7BED25-DEE8-45A0-90F0-C421B2C7DAC9.jpeg
    BE7BED25-DEE8-45A0-90F0-C421B2C7DAC9.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 10

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When someone doesn't have a solid journalistic background, perhaps it's harder to objectively value sources and in an eagerness to be first get sloppy.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Because Makar will be 21 in the eyes of the CBA if he signs before the season is up if he plays even 1 game he becomes expansion draft eligible. I went down this rabbit hole a lot and based on my armchair NHL exec reading of the CBA a 21 year old who plays any time on his ELC gets a year of eligible service.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Man I can't wait for our defense next season:

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - Makar

Nemeth / Graves

Looks really good on paper imo.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Man I can't wait for our defense next season:

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - Makar

Nemeth / Graves

Looks really good on paper imo.

Can’t Cole and Nemeth just go away?

Thankfully, Nemeth isn’t signed and should walk as a UFA.

Unfortunately, we are tied to paying Ian Cole $4,250,000 a season on our third pair for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad