Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance but Shanahan should have known better and not hired him to start with or at least stepped in to take the keys away from him before he drove the bus off the cliff.

"Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance..." - Guy who never played in the league

The irony.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can you post the graphic for games 1-4?

You have to win at least one of those games to reach 5, 6, and 7.

I see some people are selectively picking games 5, 6, and 7 because they dislike specific players, but shockingly, it doesn't matter which games you win, you only need to win 4 games.

Their numbers all suck in Games 1-4, and are dismal compared to their non Leaf peers.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
""Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance..." - Guy who never played in the league

The irony."

- Guy on same message board

• Haha
Reactions: Roo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Their numbers all suck in Games 1-4, and are dismal compared to their non Leaf peers.

Marner is close to 1.1 PPG, not all of them.

Assuming it goes Marner > Matthews > Nylander > Tavares in games 1-4

It is Nylander > Tavares > Matthews > Marner in games 5-7

""Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance..." - Guy who never played in the league

The irony."

- Guy on same message board

I am not claiming that you need to play in the NHL to know anything... quote me if you want to call me out, and then think about if it logically makes sense to (you didn't do this part)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

A 1.10 PPG in 4 games works out to about 4.4 points. And it’s a cherry-picked little mini sample within a sample. Which is extremely sad on the face of what a high end, impact forward should be doing to spearhead a championship.

If this is the internal benchmark and the boys think they’re “right there”, I think I’m seeing compelling reasons to get rid of all of them.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

I am not claiming that you need to play in the NHL to know anything... quote me if you want to call me out, and then think about if it logically makes sense to (you didn't do this part)
Your quote was just as illogical, that's why I did it. Nothing he said was wrong. Dubas never played in the league, what does that poster playing in the league have to do with it?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
A 1.10 PPG in 4 games works out to about 4.4 points. And it’s a cherry-picked little mini sample within a sample. Which is extremely sad on the face of what a high end, impact forward should be doing to spearhead a championship.

If this is the internal benchmark and the boys think they’re “right there”, I think I’m seeing compelling reasons to get rid of all of them.

If his PPG was 1.10, that'd be amazing, 1.10 PPG is top 10 of all active players... what do people expect?

He is 22nd amongst active players with his 0.88 PPG currently, tied with Marchand.

I don't think people have a grasp on how low some player's PPG is in the playoffs.

Marner can perform a lot better, I agree, but he is one of the top performers by PPG in the NHL currently.

Your quote was just as illogical, that's why I did it. Nothing he said was wrong. Dubas never played in the league, what does that poster playing in the league have to do with it?

How would he know what valid opinions are if he never played in the league?

He is saying that disqualifies your opinion.

This isn't hard logic to follow.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They’re all bad when it counts.

Have any of them stepped up when it matters? Tavares, arguably has been the best player.

Why do you think they fail to get the job done in every big situation? There has to be a reason .

I think it’s the leader. I don’t think he grasp the concept of winning in the nhl playoffs. How could he.?

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If his PPG was 1.10, that'd be amazing, 1.10 PPG is top 10 of all active players... what do people expect?

He is 22nd amongst active players with his 0.88 PPG currently, tied with Marchand.

I don't think people have a grasp on how low some player's PPG is in the playoffs.

Marner can perform a lot better, I agree, but he is one of the top performers by PPG in the NHL currently.

Marner is a 1.10 PPG in the selective games you picked though.

And that falls to a 0.87 PPG when you factor in all playoff games.

But when you compare him to other stars the context you need to be aware that other guys are scoring some of those points in the second, third and fourth rounds of the playoffs. Marner is stuck on the first level of difficulty.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

But when you compare him to other stars the context you need to be aware that other guys are scoring some of those points in the second, third and fourth rounds of the playoffs. Marner is stuck on the first level of difficulty.
Marner is great at gathering empty points, he’s a professional stat padder

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner is great at gathering empty points, he’s a professional stat padder

Yeah I would agree with that. Nothing wrong with stats padding cause all Art Ross contenders have that point padding efficiency too but whenever he has one of those “how did he get 2 assists?” night, the flip side are these PPG chats in the offseason.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Now the games are much harder every round too?

How much harder?

Are we going to start adjusting all of Edmonton's stats for playing LA first round every year?

The Atlantic is usually a tough first round against a good defensive team, are we adjusting the Leafs' stats for this?

This is getting tiresome talking to people who are trying to find ways to diminish the stats of our players.

Marner has a 0.88 PPG which is 23rd amongst active players, and much higher than a lot of stars.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Now the games are much harder every round too?

How much harder?

Are we going to start adjusting all of Edmonton's stats for playing LA first round every year?

The Atlantic is usually a tough first round against a good defensive team, are we adjusting the Leafs' stats for this?

This is getting tiresome talking to people who are trying to find ways to diminish the stats of our players.

Marner has a 0.88 PPG which is 23rd amongst active players, and much higher than a lot of stars.
Do you think Marner was good in the playoffs this year? Last year?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Do you think Marner was good in the playoffs this year? Last year?

Last year, for portions, overall yes probably, but I'd say closer to "alright".

This year, no.

I think he's been a mix of good and bad like everyone else on the team.

I think over their careers, Matthews is #1, Rielly is #2, and then you can argue Nylander vs Marner, but Nylander has been better recently so you can give him the nod, and then #5 has been Tavares.

I've never claimed Marner has been a great playoff performer.

Reactions: thewave and arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Last year, for portions, overall yes probably, but I'd say closer to "alright".

This year, no.

I think he's been a mix of good and bad like everyone else on the team.

I think over their careers, Matthews is #1, Rielly is #2, and then you can argue Nylander vs Marner, but Nylander has been better recently so you can give him the nod, and then #5 has been Tavares.

I've never claimed Marner has been a great playoff performer.
Fair enough. I’m not sure I’d keep Matthews over Marner if I had to make a choice. Matthews may not be a leader that can win in the NHL. Marner won a Mem Cup. Matthews is a showcase player.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Marner has 11 goals in 57 playoff games. That's a 15.8 goal pace over an 82 game season. I know a lot of players score less in the playoffs and he's not known as a goal scorer, but it's that stat that is most representative as to how ineffective he is in the post season, not points and assists. Goals will always be worth more than assists.

10.9 million for a 15.8 goal pace. His 82 game goal paces the last four seasons: 31, 31, 40, 30.

Not. Even. Close.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Marner has 11 goals in 57 playoff games. That's a 15.8 goal pace over an 82 game season. I know a lot of players score less in the playoffs and he's not known as a goal scorer, but it's that stat that is most representative as to how ineffective he is in the post season, not points and assists. Goals will always be worth more than assists.

10.9 million for a 15.8 goal pace. His 82 game goal paces the last four seasons: 31, 31, 40, 30.

Not. Even. Close.

He isn't a goal scorer, but yes, that is bad.

Matthews is 11th in GPG out of active players with 20+ games... that is crazy because he does not score a lot in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But Marner is? Teams win cups. Change Marner with Matthews and he would have won the same Mem Cup.

Oilers can win even without McJesus, but there chances will drop. A great playoff team should always be able to win without the best player. Its when it is players, the odds drop to much.
I don’t know if Matthews would have won a memorial cup! Nothing suggest he would have. Nothing.

• Haha

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
But Marner is? Teams win cups. Change Marner with Matthews and he would have won the same Mem Cup.

Oilers can win even without McJesus, but there chances will drop. A great playoff team should always be able to win without the best player. Its when it is players, the odds drop to much.

0% chance the Oilers can win without McDavid.

Florida is balanced enough to be able to win without Barkov.

Reactions: Arzak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad