Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I understand the logic, I don't think it is as simple as posting that graphic and saying "See, he sucks".

That same graphic says Tavares and Nylander are on the same level.

I want to know the degree of difficulty for each game from games 1-7.

For example, using this logic, Nylander is a major problem during games 1-4 and sucks during the "easy" games, where Marner is over PPG and playing amazingly.

How much of an issue is it that Nylander sucks for over 50% of the games?

The graphic does nothing for me and it seems like a lazy way to try to discredit any of Marner's points just because he helped win games earlier in the series, they still count as a win.
Wins in game one or two are meaningful but they have lost their bite after eight years of playoff losses. Few remember when the QB throws a TD pass in the 1st quarter compared to the play he makes to win a playoff game in the 4th quarter. Michael Jordan didn't get called the goat for making 15-footers when the score was 50-48.

I didn't say Marner sucks. and I'd have no problem getting rid of Nylander or whoever else if it improved the team. But the Leafs are listening to offers for Marner because he is the only guy who can realistically go right now. JT's time will be a year from now. The others we're likely stuck with until the Matthews deal runs out.

Having said that, I still think odds are Marner will be re-signed.

Reactions: arso40

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
What contract “works” for you ? He’ll never sign for less than Nylander. He’ll still be 170 lbs. soaking wet under Berube and avoiding contact at every opportunity. The $12M he’ll want can better be used elsewhere.
That’s really up to the leafs, and you are making a big assumption that the coach won’t impact the style of play. Listen, one year ago I was hating on Nylander for avoiding contact and not driving the net. There was a clip against Florida where he could have easily drove the net with nobody in front of him but just circled back. Look what he did this year. Marner is someone we shouldn’t be looking to ship out. He’s has some very good playoff series. The issue is Tavares.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
When he came back from injury, he had a really odd presser where he was overly aggressive with the media, he kinda played to "spoiled brat" moniker. This too shall pass, I remember a couple of years ago when Nylander was a cancer in the locker room, needs to go, soft, unengaged ... now he's a playoff hero .. the kind of guy we need more of... Marner is the the pariah right now, opinion
No he isn't. He's just another softy that disappoints every playoff.
Now can somebody post some stats that show he's less pathetic than the other failures in a feeble attempt to make him seem like some stellar playoff performer like they usually do. :laugh:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That’s really up to the leafs, and you are making a big assumption that the coach won’t impact the style of play. Listen, one year ago I was hating on Nylander for avoiding contact and not driving the net. There was a clip against Florida where he could have easily drove the net with nobody in front of him but just circled back. Look what he did this year. Marner is someone we shouldn’t be looking to ship out. He’s has some very good playoff series. The issue is Tavares.
Lets assume MM wants to be back.

Is it wise to extend him now or wait till next summer?
JT was a problem but there were many times in the Bruins series where MM was just afraid to even carry the puck. Then we have to look at the Ferraro comment regarding MM in Game 7, looked injured or uninterested. Since there is no report of him being injured, being uninterested in Game 7 is a problem.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think for the most part I’d agree, games seem more ramped up the longer the series goes.
I don’t think I’ve noticed it as much this final series though. Every game seems to have the same intensity and I wouldn’t say it’s been over the top.

I think many would agree that most of the comments here are ‘simple’.

Yeah, they are but if someone is getting exhausted reading comments on here, one might be too invested in random peoples’ thoughts. I honestly couldn’t care less about anyone’s opinion on here.

That said, there is nothing left to say about Marner other than the same back and forth at this point. Sooner his situation is resolved, the sooner we can start bitching about the next thing.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah, they are but if someone is getting exhausted reading comments on here, one might be too invested in random peoples’ thoughts. I honestly could care less about anyone’s opinion on here.

That said, there is nothing left to say about Marner other than the same back and forth at this point. Sooner his situation is resolved, the sooner we can start bitching about the next thing.
Big NO.

Nomatter what happens to MM, some here will still remind the others that it is a mistake.....lets see what happens in playoffs....and the same thing will recycle. Just look at Lou and Dubas.

It will not stop even if the Leafs win the Cup, as the same people will say the same thing.

This will apply to MM as a Leafs or not.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
That doesn't mean what you think it means.

Lol you are correct. Fixed :D

Big NO.

Nomatter what happens to MM, some here will still remind the others that it is a mistake.....lets see what happens in playoffs....and the same thing will recycle. Just look at Lou and Dubas.

It will not stop even if the Leafs win the Cup, as the same people will say the same thing.

Very true actually.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Lets assume MM wants to be back.

Is it wise to extend him now or wait till next summer?
JT was a problem but there were many times in the Bruins series where MM was just afraid to even carry the puck. Then we have to look at the Ferraro comment regarding MM in Game 7, looked injured or uninterested. Since there is no report of him being injured, being uninterested in Game 7 is a problem.
If you can’t trade him you have to wait until after next season to try and negotiate and take the chance he walks. That will hurt less then 12.5 x 8

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If you can’t trade him you have to wait until after next season to try and negotiate and take the chance he walks. That will hurt less then 12.5 x 8
Exactly. Thats also why I think MM will opt to be traded bc he betted on himself this last playoffs to have a great one and get that 100mil extension. Safe to say he failed big time.

Thats why I don't think his camp will ask him to bet on himself again. It is a huge gamble bc even he gets 100assists like Kuch in the regular season, his extension will be based on the playoffs, if he chokes again, he won't get anywhere near his current deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. Thats also why I think MM will opt to be traded bc he betted on himself this last playoffs to have a great one and get that 100mil extension. Safe to say he failed big time.

Thats why I don't think his camp will ask him to bet on himself again. It is a huge gamble bc even he gets 100assists like Kuch in the regular season, his extension will be based on the playoffs, if he chokes again, he won't get anywhere near his current deal.
How did he bet on himself last playoff?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I have no idea what you just went on about. A conversation is 2 way. Just because I have not yet capitulation to your point, doesnt mean that the conversation is being derailed. The crap that goes around in circles here is breathtaking. You are all drinking everyone else's bath water yet cannot consider that there are people who actually run the team that have different views than your own.
Carry on elsewhere if you have nothing else.
So I tell you to carry on and your response is no you carry on....good one randy. And your right a conversation is a 2 way street but you dont act like it is. You get asked a simple question and you respond with some sort gibberish about something that has nothing to do with what is being discussed all while being insulting. You never give anyone who thinks differently any respect and usually call them childish etc. This will be my last response to you as you dont really bring anything to the table that interests me. Good day sir.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He thinks hockey is a simulation not a physical sport played by elite, highly competitive athletes. This is how analytics make fans who know nothing about hockey or how the game is played think they’re experts.
You just have to rewatch Dubas interview when asked about how important culture is to get an idea who Marner took his cues from. btw Dubas shrugged , smirked and stated its overrated.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You just have to rewatch Dubas interview when asked about how important culture is to get an idea who Marner took his cues from. btw Dubas shrugged , smirked and stated its overrated.
Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance but Shanahan should have known better and not hired him to start with or at least stepped in to take the keys away from him before he drove the bus off the cliff.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Big NO.

I will go out on a limb here and say that if the leafs win the cup and Marner is part of it, nobody will be shitting on anyone....it will be party time, at least for a little while.

Reactions: Kazparov

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Not recently he hasn’t. The book is out on him, run him a few times, get in his grill and he won’t go anywhere near the net or in the corners. His style of play doesn’t work in the playoffs. Nylander is bigger, stronger and can score from 40 feet out or cutting across the net with his leg out to shield the puck. Two totally different players at this point in their careers.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So I tell you to carry on and your response is no you carry on....good one randy. And your right a conversation is a 2 way street but you dont act like it is. You get asked a simple question and you respond with some sort gibberish about something that has nothing to do with what is being discussed all while being insulting. You never give anyone who thinks differently any respect and usually call them childish etc. This will be my last response to you as you dont really bring anything to the table that interests me. Good day sir.
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I see you're a slow learner. Stop responding to the Obvious Agenda Crew, they'll realize they're
"influencing" no one, and they'll leave.

Reactions: thewave

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
No he isn't. He's just another softy that disappoints every playoff.
Now can somebody post some stats that show he's less pathetic than the other failures in a feeble attempt to make him seem like some stellar playoff performer like they usually do. :laugh:

Already posted in this thread.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dubas never played in the league so he spoke from complete ignorance but Shanahan should have known better and not hired him to start with or at least stepped in to take the keys away from him before he drove the bus off the cliff.
Dubas dismissing culture as not even existing really is peak Nu hockey dumbassery.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How did he bet on himself last playoff?
I think he was depressed by his performance. Remember after game 7 how we all knew he wasn’t very good. I think he was in the same boat as everyone else and felt at the time like his performance caused his dream to disappear. I think he knew why, too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That’s the new age. And it’s my generation that’s to blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad