Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Brazeau has amazing skills. Look up some highlights. Yeah i wonder how hes power skating drills are going with Barb. Any news id like to see him in the drills. See how hes skating is coming along. Ive watched him alot hes got the stuff.
Well the development camp starts like Monday, so we will see him there id assume.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Should have kept Leivo, he was a cheaper option on the bottom 6 who has ability to play up on top 6 when called upon. Hoping we don't trade Kapanen.

In a perfect world sure, but it's also valuable that players and agents see Dubas as a guy they can trust.

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Whose going to the Marlies development camp. If so like to know how my boy Brazeau does.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs have invited Xavier Simoneau and Sean Larochelle to Development Camp.

Nothing special, but sticking with the sub-6'0" guys.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
LD Marc-Antoine Pepin from Shawinigan was invited to development camp as well. He's the 3rd QMJHL invite on record alongside Larochelle and Simoneau.

He's also 6'1", 157 lbs so those who say the Leafs don't get guys over 6'0" tall should be happy.

That being said, he's also the lightest guy.

Pepin was drafted by Sherbrooke so I know a little bit about him. Seemed like a stay-at-home puck mover who got more opportunities on a weaker Shawinigan team and did pretty well with it. 11 points in 23 games on a weak team, plus 2 assists in 5 playoff games against the eventual Memorial Cup Champions.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
LD Marc-Antoine Pepin from Shawinigan was invited to development camp as well. He's the 3rd QMJHL invite on record alongside Larochelle and Simoneau.

He's also 6'1", 157 lbs so those who say the Leafs don't get guys over 6'0" tall should be happy.

That being said, he's also the lightest guy.

Pepin was drafted by Sherbrooke so I know a little bit about him. Seemed like a stay-at-home puck mover who got more opportunities on a weaker Shawinigan team and did pretty well with it. 11 points in 23 games on a weak team, plus 2 assists in 5 playoff games against the eventual Memorial Cup Champions.

I said this in the Kokkonen thread but height isn't everything, weight is IMHO. I will take a 5'10" that weights 180-190lbs over a 6'01" that weights 157lbs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I said this in the Kokkonen thread but height isn't everything, weight is IMHO. I will take a 5'10" that weights 180-190lbs over a 6'01" that weights 157lbs

Well then we have Loponen at 5'11", 187 and Kokkonen at 5'11", 198. That's a pretty solid start for a couple of 17/18 year old defensemen.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I wonder if all the people posting facts about all the skilled 6'1" players were drafted before the Leafs actually drafted a player took a look who was drafted 5-6 picks after each Leaf pick. Most if not all were at least 6'1" so your narrative is nonsense. Dubas has gone out of his way to make himself look like the smartest person in the room on several occasions which will have great impact on the Leafs future and odds are it won't be positive impact.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if all the people posting facts about all the skilled 6'1" players were drafted before the Leafs actually drafted a player took a look who was drafted 5-6 picks after each Leaf pick. Most if not all were at least 6'1" so your narrative is nonsense. Dubas has gone out of his way to make himself look like the smartest person in the room on several occasions which will have great impact on the Leafs future and odds are it won't be positive impact.

IDK what you are talking about exactly. I'm looking at whom the Leafs could draft afterwards and most of the guys who were of similar quality to the guys we selected were also pretty small guys.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I like that 5 of our 6 picks are international quality players among their age group, and on big 5 nations as well.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I really liked our picks this draft.

Not much to work with but it looks like we’ve made the most of it

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Curious which prospects with great size you would have taken instead of who we got?

It wouldn't what player I name because it's an opinion. But I know this smaller player are boom or bust picks. Players drafted 6'1" can find a roll in the bottom 6 or pairings as ginders. How many 5'9" grinders do you see in the NHL? Not every player drafted will play in your top six or top pair but drafting below average puts limits roles they could play in the NHL. Every pick shouldn't be boom or bust!!

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
It wouldn't what player I name because it's an opinion. But I know this smaller player are boom or bust picks. Players drafted 6'1" can find a roll in the bottom 6 or pairings as ginders. How many 5'9" grinders do you see in the NHL? Not every player drafted will play in your top six or top pair but drafting below average puts limits roles they could play in the NHL. Every pick shouldn't be boom or bust!!
But see that is the mindset that gets you to draft strome over marner, Gauthier/biggs over whomever. Size is only great if they have the skill and more importantly skating to equal it. You can get your grinders from anywhere. Look how many team regret passing up on Gaudreau, Point, Debrincat, Krug, marchand, spurgeon etc

Reactions: Mach85 and Lauro

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Only thing I’ll say is it’s easier to acquire bottom 6 meatheads than top 9 skilled guys.

Who cares if we don’t draft bottom 6 plugs, you can just pick up one in FA or trade.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
oh that's a good call. How many do you think will make the world juniors this season?
I'm no expert but after a little digging
Kokkonen- good bet
Robertson, at summer camp so has a shot

Koster- not invited, needs a big fall, a lot of good players in front of him
Loponen- not really in consideration
Abramov- couldn't find anything, but being CHL and U19 is two knocks against him

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

In other words, you don't know anything about the guys we picked, nor the alleged bigger guys you think we should have picked, but gosh darn, we should have picked bigger.

As an interesting aside... the bigger guys drafted after our picks, are mostly goalies.

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad