Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Oh wow, Dubas was the only GM to call (6'6, 235 forward for the hockey size fetish out there) Justin Brazeau's agent and gave them the best development plan out of all the teams. He also gained trust in his agent by moving another one of his clients, Josh Leivo, which also helped in securing the signing. It's almost as if Dubas is good at his job.

Absolutely great article in the Athletic just shows how much work Dubas puts in and how much he grinds.
Sure, in what universe other that I just make things up, has Dubas been poor at his job? I think he have mostly his team this year. It is amazing that he has only been a GM since last May.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Sure, in what universe other that I just make things up, has Dubas been poor at his job? I think he have mostly his team this year. It is amazing that he has only been a GM since last May.

Overall good, the positive list is much longer but Sparks was a tire fire. Holl was a pointless roster hoard. His handling of the Nylander contract negotiations could have been better. Got carried away with signing SDA based on a short audition.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I always say the Goat as having decent speed but being atrocious at accelerating and mobility east west. He was decent at straight line.

Brazeau is a bi better on accelerating and mobility but worse at straight line speed IMO.

So maybe not "better" but different. Overal if you broke down all the skating categories I think Brazeau wins more than he loses.

If Brazeau skated remotely close to Freddy's level, he'd have been drafted 3 years ago and probably high in the draft.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Why are people complaining about Brazeau’s skating? This is a kid that had a very late growth spurt, and pretty well never had the opportunity to get help from development coaches growing up.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses the next couple of seasons under our development staff.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Overall good, the positive list is much longer but Sparks was a tire fire. Holl was a pointless roster hoard. His handling of the Nylander contract negotiations could have been better. Got carried away with signing SDA based on a short audition.

Some of these are inevitable and just negligible.

The fact that the 8th defenseman didn't contribute much, or that an ELC was given to a player that might not make it, are really not grounds for serious criticism.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Besides the Nylander thing, which is not even entirely his fault, none of those things should even be on the negative list.

Reactions: Lauro

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Sparks was the right choice. McElhinney was an aging backup and Sparks an up and comer after winning the Calder Cup. Growing pains were expected. But, I think keeping Sparks will prove to be a smart choice.

I do think keeping Holl on the roster was a poor choice. He never held much upside and it may have cost them an asset not keeping McElhinney on the roster to start the year. A month later they may have captured a draft choice because of his previous couple seasons. The Leafs ended up moving a 5th for Hutchinson, they should have been able to get something for McElhinney. It also cost them Leivo. If they waived Holl they could have carried Leivo until a better deal came along or he became a fixture in the lineup. Carcone worked out for the Marlies, but Holl probably would have done more for them and they really could have used Leivo against Boston. Now, Carcone is going to clear waivers next season, while Leivo settles into the Canucks top-9.

SDA is looking like someone they will have to move at some point if he doesn't progress. He looked great in camp last year and I believe he was the youngest player in his draft. So, that buys him some time, but he needs to dominate next year or he is going to be traded.

Not going 8 years on Nylander and Matthews seems like a terrible choice.

Trading Klimchuk for Gagne while relatively minor was a loss from day one. Remove that trade and the Marlies stand a better chance. Not keeping Marincin with the Marlies on their Calder Cup run also may have cost them a championship.

Far from perfect, mix of good and bad. Tavares and Muzzin deals were both huge and smart, couldn't have done better there. Ennis was a great bargain bin signing. His handling of Gauthier looks smart. The Petan trade looks good. Oleksy and Klimchuk trade #1 were pretty good. His undrafted FA deals look of quality. Sandin looks like the steal of the draft. Hollowell looks like he may be one as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Sparks was the right choice. McElhinney was an aging backup and Sparks an up and comer after winning the Calder Cup. Growing pains were expected. But, I think keeping Sparks will prove to be a smart choice.

I do think keeping Holl on the roster was a poor choice. He never held much upside and it may have cost them an asset not keeping McElhinney on the roster to start the year. A month later they may have captured a draft choice because of his previous couple seasons. The Leafs ended up moving a 5th for Hutchinson, they should have been able to get something for McElhinney. It also cost them Leivo. If they waived Holl they could have carried Leivo until a better deal came along or he became a fixture in the lineup. Carcone worked out for the Marlies, but Holl probably would have done more for them and they really could have used Leivo against Boston. Now, Carcone is going to clear waivers next season, while Leivo settles into the Canucks top-9.

SDA is looking like someone they will have to move at some point if he doesn't progress. He looked great in camp last year and I believe he was the youngest player in his draft. So, that buys him some time, but he needs to dominate next year or he is going to be traded.

Not going 8 years on Nylander and Matthews seems like a terrible choice.

Trading Klimchuk for Gagne while relatively minor was a loss from day one. Remove that trade and the Marlies stand a better chance. Not keeping Marincin with Marlies on their Calder Cup run also may have cost them a championship.

Far from perfect, mix of good and bad. Tavares and Muzzin deals were both huge and smart, couldn't have done better there. Ennis was a great bargain bin signing. His handling of Gauthier looks smart. The Petan trade looks good. Oleksy and Klimchuk trade #1 were pretty good. His undrafted FA deals look of quality. Sandin looks like the steal of the draft. Hollowell looks like he may be one as well.

Nylander and Matthews not getting 8 years probably works out better for the Leafs anyways, if both are committed to the Leafs long term. There are some benefits, the most obvious of which is that they are cheaper through their prime, and when you give out an 8 year deal through their UFA years, it doesn't run as long into their crappy years (i.e. EDM is going to have to pay McDavid elite money until he's 36, which he may or may not be worth at that time. Matthews will only get elite money until he's 33 or 34, and after that the Leafs can start giving him shorter term and cheaper money deals). Plus a lot of RFA's it seems are not going in on 8 year deals anymore unless they get paid. McDavid took a nice deal, but Eichel was severely overpaid. We got Matthews at fair money, and we got Nylander at a nice contract to trade without giving up an Eichel-like overpayment.

Keeping Holl was not going to affect Leivo. Leivo probably would have had a job, but Dubas did not want to risk him not being in the lineup full time, which was very possible under Babcock. If he was guaranteed to play every day, he would probably still be a Leaf. I would have traded Pickard and McElhinney for picks, but the market was clearly not there I guess, and keeping three goalies on your roster is not exactly great asset management. It was terrible luck to see both get claimed, but Dubas did what he could in the end. I wouldn't have traded a 5th for Hutch, but the Marlies needed a goalie and he was one who could play in the AHL, so it was a necessary move.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not exactly pressing, but how do the Newfoundland Growlers go about retaining all of O'Brien, Power, Ferguson, Pooley, Kestner, Elynuik, and Estephan? Most of these guys were PPG all year and throughout the Playoffs and could likely have played their way into better AHL opportunities or even ELC's elsewhere for the latter two. I know O'Brien and Power are local guys that should stay, but it seems like this is a team that could experience significant turnover because of their strong play. So far Trey Bradley and Riley Woods look like the only two destined to join the team as new faces next year (and possibly Brazeau)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not exactly pressing, but how do the Newfoundland Growlers go about retaining all of O'Brien, Power, Ferguson, Pooley, Kestner, Elynuik, and Estephan? Most of these guys were PPG all year and throughout the Playoffs and could likely have played their way into better AHL opportunities or even ELC's elsewhere for the latter two. I know O'Brien and Power are local guys that should stay, but it seems like this is a team that could experience significant turnover because of their strong play. So far Trey Bradley and Riley Woods look like the only two destined to join the team as new faces next year (and possibly Brazeau)

All of them except Power were on AHL deals. So the real question is how the Marlies retain them.

The answer is they probably don't, but they'll find other AHL guys to replace them just like they always do. They already got Justin Brazeau, Trey Bradley, Colt Conrad and Riley Woods. All of them could end up on the Growlers next year. More will be joining them, probably including some guys who were already on the team last year.

Reactions: Duke16

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
TL:DR Dubas so far has been okay as a GM.

Two important contract signings have been botched (Matthews and Nylander) for different reasons.
Matthews not enough term at that cap-hit.
Nylander just poorly handled.

However, he has done a good job signing UFA's from the NCAA, and CHL, and Euro-leagues.
His draft has been good, but a one year sample isn't long enough to judge.

His trades have been lack luster. I realize Muzzin is a quality defence but the Leafs gave up some "primo" assets in Grundstrom and the 1st (could care less about Durzi).

In the end he has done a decent job, nothing special but nothing horrible. I have a strange feeling this off-season will tell us a lot about how good Dubas is as a GM.

Prospects to look forward to seeing in 2019-2020 season.
Marchment -> Leafs 4th line?
Sandin/Liljegren -> Leafs full time?
Woll/Scott -> Battle of the AHL starter job
Vladislav Kara -> KHL Prime-time

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
TL:DR Dubas so far has been okay as a GM.

Two important contract signings have been botched (Matthews and Nylander) for different reasons.
Matthews not enough term at that cap-hit.
Nylander just poorly handled.

However, he has done a good job signing UFA's from the NCAA, and CHL, and Euro-leagues.
His draft has been good, but a one year sample isn't long enough to judge.

His trades have been lack luster. I realize Muzzin is a quality defence but the Leafs gave up some "primo" assets in Grundstrom and the 1st (could care less about Durzi).

In the end he has done a decent job, nothing special but nothing horrible. I have a strange feeling this off-season will tell us a lot about how good Dubas is as a GM.

Prospects to look forward to seeing in 2019-2020 season.
Marchment -> Leafs 4th line?
Sandin/Liljegren -> Leafs full time?
Woll/Scott -> Battle of the AHL starter job
Vladislav Kara -> KHL Prime-time

I'd add Dzierkals onto that list as well. He could have a huge breakout season and be in borderline NHL contention. Greenway getting back in the NCAA will be really fun to watch as well.

Really, the Leafs got rid of a lot of their boring prospects this past year.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd add Dzierkals onto that list as well. He could have a huge breakout season and be in borderline NHL contention. Greenway getting back in the NCAA will be really fun to watch as well.

Did we retain his rights? I thought this was the last year we had to sign him, or did his move to the KHL prolong things?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

I've always liked Dzierkals...Good speed, skilled and good motor and if I remember correctly a pest at times...Seems like he at least deserves a good shot with the Marlies and possibly a chance with the big club thereafter...I don't know if they just don't see a future with him or if particular circumstances have stalled his development within the organization.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I've always liked Dzierkals...Good speed, skilled and good motor and if I remember correctly a pest at times...Seems like he at least deserves a good shot with the Marlies and possibly a chance with the big club thereafter...I don't know if they just don't see a future with him or if particular circumstances have stalled his development within the organization.

He wanted to stay in the AHL, but the Marlies [Leafs Management] offered him a deal that COULD POTENTIALLY see him end up in the ECHL. So instead he chose the KHL.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Patric Sandin: The Toronto Maple Leafs Draft Dad Interview
TF: Walk me through your day on the day Rasmus was drafted. What did you do while you waited? Did you speak with Kyle Dubas at all?

PS: It was some intense and hot days in Dallas with meetings and everything. But on the draft day everything was chill. My family and agents were just waiting for the night. Nice breakfast and a powerwalk, then lunch out in the city. Then the nerves beginning to come. We met Rasmus who had some last minute meetings. He was cool as always. When we came to the arena (American Airlines Center) we began to realize what was gonna happen. One of our family’s biggest moment.

During the draft I saw for the first time that Rasmus was a little tense. I can’t blame him. Name after name was called. I had a strong belief in Toronto and I was really hoping for the Leafs. Then it was #29 pick and the TV and Media started to approach Rasmus. The pulse started to rush.

My feelings can’t be described when they called Rasmus name. It was a moment I never forget.

After everything happened so fast. We met Mr. Dubas and Mr. Babcock after the draft, and we also met the whole Toronto management the day after when they had a reception. It was really cool to sit down with Coach Babcock for a beer. Really great people in the organization.
TF: Have you attended any of Rasmus’ games here in Toronto? If so, what was that experience like?

PS: We went to Toronto in november and watched some Marlies game. It was really nice. Love Toronto. We also went to a Raptors game also. Nice game yesterday with the last second from Kawhi. (The “Kawhi Shot” just happened the day before we spoke initially).

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Nylander and Matthews not getting 8 years probably works out better for the Leafs anyways, if both are committed to the Leafs long term. There are some benefits, the most obvious of which is that they are cheaper through their prime, and when you give out an 8 year deal through their UFA years, it doesn't run as long into their crappy years (i.e. EDM is going to have to pay McDavid elite money until he's 36, which he may or may not be worth at that time. Matthews will only get elite money until he's 33 or 34, and after that the Leafs can start giving him shorter term and cheaper money deals). Plus a lot of RFA's it seems are not going in on 8 year deals anymore unless they get paid. McDavid took a nice deal, but Eichel was severely overpaid. We got Matthews at fair money, and we got Nylander at a nice contract to trade without giving up an Eichel-like overpayment.

Keeping Holl was not going to affect Leivo. Leivo probably would have had a job, but Dubas did not want to risk him not being in the lineup full time, which was very possible under Babcock. If he was guaranteed to play every day, he would probably still be a Leaf. I would have traded Pickard and McElhinney for picks, but the market was clearly not there I guess, and keeping three goalies on your roster is not exactly great asset management. It was terrible luck to see both get claimed, but Dubas did what he could in the end. I wouldn't have traded a 5th for Hutch, but the Marlies needed a goalie and he was one who could play in the AHL, so it was a necessary move.
Very good point. Look at Karlsson going into UFA as a 29 year old, the Sharks have no choice but to give him 8 years and they will definitely pay for it down the line.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Michael Garteig signed in Finland with Tappara. Good for him. He deserves to move up in the food chain and that opens up the ECHL starting job for Woll or Scott. The backup job is still open, and I don't imagine Eric Levine or Mario Culina are going to be there next year, so perhaps the Marlies give Bouthillier his AHL deal to be the backup unless they'd like him to be a starter in the QMJHL and to get a vet goalie in there again.

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Brazeau has amazing skills. Look up some highlights. Yeah i wonder how hes power skating drills are going with Barb. Any news id like to see him in the drills. See how hes skating is coming along. Ive watched him alot hes got the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad