Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
So the Growlers are up 3-2 in the Kelly Cup Final.

Anyone else read this story about how the Colorado Eagles (last years winner) haven't given the trophy back and the league was forced to create a new Kelly Cup? Wild stuff.

Better for the Growlers. They'll have their names on this one first.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That's right he did sign an AHL deal but the Leafs apparently own his rights indefinitely so it's a different circumstance. The Leafs' rights on McGregor expired unless he signed to an NHL ELC.
I prefer the risk/reward of Brazeau over the safe pick of McGregor.

I'd rather take the home run swing.

Reactions: teddygmr

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I prefer the risk/reward of Brazeau over the safe pick of McGregor.

I'd rather take the home run swing.
at this point it looks like the Leafs are in a position that they should opt for the high ceiling wherever they can, the Marlies look to be full of replacement level NHL talent, so I agree with you for sure

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
at this point it looks like the Leafs are in a position that they should opt for the high ceiling wherever they can, the Marlies look to be full of replacement level NHL talent, so I agree with you for sure
Agreed.

If McGregor passes through this draft, maybe we can grab him on an AHL deal.

I don't want to use ELCs on players of his ilk right now.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Agreed.

If McGregor passes through this draft, maybe we can grab him on an AHL deal.

I don't want to use ELCs on players of his ilk right now.
agree on both fronts, and I like the idea of having the Marlies full of guys who have a chance to be NHL'ers like MacGregor rather than career AHL'ers like it used to be. Dubas said he was going to use the AHL & ECHL like AAA & AA affiliates in baseball, and seems to be living up to that

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
agree on both fronts, and I like the idea of having the Marlies full of guys who have a chance to be NHL'ers like MacGregor rather than career AHL'ers like it used to be. Dubas said he was going to use the AHL & ECHL like AAA & AA affiliates in baseball, and seems to be living up to that
Yeah.

The Marlies are built and carried through prospects and guys that can fill in at the NHL level.

Not "AHL vets" as the uneducated on here want to pretend.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McGregor is insurance at best. He played four games with the Marlies, practiced with them... they know what they had in this kid. They made a decision based upon what they knew.

Yes, the Leafs aren't deep at C, beyond Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Nylander and Gauthier... ok, that has some irony attached to it. But, we've still got Brooks, maybe Engvall, Riley Stotts... and there isn't much room on the Leafs for a C anyway. I think Gauthier had a fine rookie year, and will only get better. He's obviously not going to be anything but a #4C, but I think he will develop into a good one, and affordable for a long time.

If McGregor isn't drafted, which I doubt, it wouldn't shock me to see him on an AHL contract. It's probably the gamble that they are making, unless they don't see any future for him at all.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Carcone-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Moore
Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Baptiste-Greening-Jooris

Sandin-Liljegren
Rosen-LoVerde
Borgman-Lindgren

Kaskisuo

Prospect-Veteran-Prospect
Prospect-Prospect-Prospect

Prospect-Prospect
Prospect-Veteran
Prospect-Prospect

Prospect

So much for the Marlies are being carried by veterans.
Point proven, but a small oversight in the 4th line RW being a 'prospect'. This isn't the youngest team in terms of prospects, with lots of slightly older guys, who are still prospects (Carcone, Baptiste, Moore etc.), but they are most definitely not carried by veterans.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah.

The Marlies are built and carried through prospects and guys that can fill in at the NHL level.

Not "AHL vets" as the uneducated on here want to pretend.
ya, like Mueller is the only guy who plays a big role that's one of those types isn't he? And it's fine to have a couple, in the old days it was a team full of those guys with an NHL prospect sprinkled in

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Point proven, but a small oversight in the 4th line RW being a 'prospect'. This isn't the youngest team in terms of prospects, with lots of slightly older guys, who are still prospects (Carcone, Baptiste, Moore etc.), but they are most definitely not carried by veterans.
Good point actually. There are some players who aren't young, but are still prospects.

Here is a comparison between Eakins team and Keefe's team.

Comparing Keefe's roster this playoffs to Eakins roster in the final. To make it fair, I will classify some players as NHL players, and use the ones that played at least 10 playoff games.
Sheldon Keefe

Carcone-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Moore
Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Baptiste-Greening-Jooris

Sandin-Liljegren
Rosen-LoVerde
Borgman-Lindgren

Kaskisuo

Prospect-Prospect
Prospect-Veteran
Prospect-Prospect

Prospect

Dallas Eakins

Dupuis(Veteran)
Frattin(NHL player)
D'amigo(prospect)
Deschamps(fringe)
Kadri(prospect)
Colborne(prospect)
Zigomanis(veteran)
Scott(veteran)
Hamilton(veteran)
Acton(veteran)
Rosehill(veteran)

Gardiner(NHL player)
Holzer(prospect)
Mikus(fringe)
Fraser(veteran)
Gysbers(fringe)

Scrivens(prospect)

Sheldon Keefe prospect count: 16
Sheldon Keefe veteran count: 3

To make the number of players the same, lets add the next 2 players that played the most games.

Mueller(fringe)
Lashoff(veteran)

Dallas Eakins prospect count: 5
Dallas Eakins veteran count: 8
Dallas Eakins fringe players count: 2
Dallas Eakins NHL player count: 2

Keefe's team in the playoffs was comprised of mostly prospects. While more then half of Eakins roster was veterans or fringe players.

Now lets look at Keefe's roster in the Calder cup final last season.

Moore(prospect)
Smith(veteran)
Mueller(veteran)
Grundstorm(prospect)
Aaltonen(prospect)
Timashov(prospect)
Marchment(prospect)
Greening(veteran)
Engvall(prospect)
Gauthier(fringe)
Marincin(veteran)
Brooks(prospect)
Holl(fringe)
Liljegren(prospect)
Loverde(veteran)
Sparks(prospect)
Johnsson(prospect)
Rosen(prospect)
Dermott(NHL player)

Sheldon Keefe prospect count: 11
Sheldon Keefe veteran count: 5
Sheldon Keefe fringe players count: 2
Sheldon Keefe NHL players count: 1

This team was again mostly prospects.

Lets stop comparing Eakins team to Keefe's team. The roster outlook is not the same at all. One coach had a team filled with prospects. The other had a mainly veteran team.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

The Marlies should always be a good team, so that our prospects learn how to be part of a good team, and get experience playing deep into the playoffs.

The Leafs should ensure this happens by having quality veteran players filling the roles for which we don't have prospects that are capable of playing at that level.

Quality development for our good prospects, is dramatically more important than ice-time for our worst prospects, especially when it comes at the cost of the former.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Marlies should always be a good team, so that our prospects learn how to be part of a good team, and get experience playing deep into the playoffs.

The Leafs should ensure this happens by having quality veteran players filling the roles for which we don't have prospects that are capable of playing at that level.

Quality development for our good prospects, is dramatically more important than ice-time for our worst prospects, especially when it comes at the cost of the former.

This is exactly what they have been doing and I'm sure it has been part of the shannyplan, the prospects coming up know winning and have exp :thumbu:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Strong AHL veterans at the AHL level are important. You always want your prospects to come up in a winning environment.

With that said, the majority of the Marlies squads for the past two seasons have been made up of prospects. The teams have been carried by prospects. Management has done an admirable job picking the right AHL vets to supplement the prospects.

In no way though has the team been carried by AHL veterans.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Mueller and Loverde did a good job in their roles as veterans. Jooris was useless for a player on an NHL contract. Greening was a good call on an AHL contract with limited C depth. Cracknell was productive and a good choice and they traded him for Oleksy, who is a good player at the AHL level. He didn't factor into the playoffs much because of the Marlies depth on D with good health amongst them and Lindgren, Hollowell and Duszak coming in. But, there was a point during the season where the Marlies had no one to use and he came in and helped them get to the playoffs. I'm not sure any of them come back, but if one does at forward and defense I hope they choose Mueller for center depth and Oleksy for toughness, he can play and fight with the best of them.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think we've had primarily legitimate prospects on the Marlies for a few years now rather than much in the way of veteran fill, and it hasn't really stunted any development as far as I can tell

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I think we've had primarily legitimate prospects on the Marlies for a few years now rather than much in the way of veteran fill, and it hasn't really stunted any development as far as I can tell

The Marlies have become a team that is driven primarily by prospects U23.
That being said, they usually have one top 6 FWD and top 4 DEF in the lineup at all times.
This is mainly to help stabilize the team and set a good example on how to play at the PRO-Level.

Usually, the Marlies have about 3-5 too old to be a prospect, but nothing more than an AHL/NHL fringe guy on the team as well. Examples from some prior years: Baptiste, Aaltonen, and Holl.
Note: Running Sparks and Pickard were also in this category.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marchment-Kadri combo has potential, imo. Marchment is an interesting player for me, physical player separating players from the puck, he agitates, he competes, good size, net presence. A forward with a style the Leafs dont have much of and compliments skilled players. If he works hard on his footwork this summer which for me is improving each year, he can push for a roster spot.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marchment seems more willing than equipped to play an agitating/power forward. He's tall for sure and aggressive too but he's still a bit slight by NHL power forward standards and often comes out second best in collisions with bigger opponents. Remember the NHL defensemen he'll be colliding with will have 20 to 30 lbs on him. He reminds me of Soshnikov who no one would say wasn't brave and physical but couldn't play that sort of game at the NHL level for any extended period. I have the same impression with Engvall and Korshkov as unsuited to being power forward types although I think Engvall is more skilled and Korshkov is a little stronger on his skates.

This is where I had some hope for Grundstrom as an important prospect. I suspect Dubas is actively going to seek out a power forward type this summer.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marlies signed C Riley Woods out of Spokane. Once again Speltz goes after a Spokane guy.

He's good, but likely an ECHL replacement more than an AHLer next year.

Reactions: Smif and Visnovsky

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marlies signed C Riley Woods out of Spokane. Once again Speltz goes after a Spokane guy.

He's good, but likely an ECHL replacement more than an AHLer next year.
Always good to add a bunch of guys like this. I'm hoping we can add a few younger d-men to the Growlers next year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad