Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What do the Leafs have in Mason Marchment? 'I don't really...
“I think we’ve got a couple of guys coming that will help us up front, for sure, and make us bigger up front,” he told the media.
On a Marlies team filled with small and skilled players like Jeremy Bracco and Adam Brooks, Marchment represents what the Marlies – and the Leafs – lack. He is a big presence on the ice and has not once, but twice become a menace in the Calder Cup playoffs knocking players off their game and onto their backsides. Marchment is the guy nobody wants to play against.

“He’s a pest out there, and you see that he gets under guys’ skin,” said Marchment’s linemate Trevor Moore with a laugh. “He’s a guy that you’re really thankful he’s on your line, and he’s not the guy across from you.”
“I’m just a competitive guy. I just like to compete; I want to win,” he said. “I don’t really think too many guys like playing against me."

“So in that sense maybe it’s a good thing. I just try to play my game and play hard, if I get in your head and then I get in your head.”
“I’m just a big body that gets pucks and creates space for guys like Moore and Brooks,” he said. “But at the same time, you know, if they give me the puck, I’m not going to turn it over or anything like that. I have the skill to hold it and make plays and get the puck in the net.”

Last edited:
Reactions: crump

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If McGregor doesn't get drafted, which I doubt he will, we can easily bring him in on an AHL deal.

Which, IMO, is the best route to go with him.

Most likely will end up in the OHL as an overage

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Soshnikov.... Not to far away from having some promise. Did he retire this year after his 2nd concussion ?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Back to the KHL, he may try an NHL comeback in a couple of years if he stays healthy, possibly, I liked him.

It's a good thing we have Dzierkals in the KHL then. The guy could be our next Soshnikov, but he needs his production to jump just like it did for Soshnikov the year we signed him.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
It's a good thing we have Dzierkals in the KHL then. The guy could be our next Soshnikov, but he needs his production to jump just like it did for Soshnikov the year we signed him.
Wasn't there something about him requesting a trade and being on bad terms with the org. Too bad cause I'd love to give him a go.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Sosh didn't have the size to play his style of game at the NHL level, nor did he has the offensive IQ to make up for it.

He'll do well in the KHL again

Reactions: Jeypic

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I liked Dzierkals also, I think he may find his way into the NHL eventually.

Reactions: Jeypic

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Oh wow, Dubas was the only GM to call (6'6, 235 forward for the hockey size fetish out there) Justin Brazeau's agent and gave them the best development plan out of all the teams. He also gained trust in his agent by moving another one of his clients, Josh Leivo, which also helped in securing the signing. It's almost as if Dubas is good at his job.

Absolutely great article in the Athletic just shows how much work Dubas puts in and how much he grinds.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Oh wow, Dubas was the only GM to call (6'6, 235 forward for the hockey size fetish out there) Justin Brazeau's agent and gave them the best development plan out of all the teams. He also gained trust in his agent by moving another one of his clients, Josh Leivo, which also helped in securing the signing. It's almost as if Dubas is good at his job.

Absolutely great article in the Athletic just shows how much work Dubas puts in and how much he grinds.

Any good quotes?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Any good quotes?

The final decision came down to 2 teams.

The other team offered slightly more money on an AHL deal, but their development plan was for him to hire his own skating coach.

Braszeau’s agent said they left money on the table but Dubas’ words carried weight of gold.

Dubas was the only actual NHL GM to call, the others were all Assistant GM’s or directors.

Dubas outlines the different skills and development coaches that would be available (Belfry, Underhill, Ellis)

Apparently Dubas told his agent “John, if this guy doesn’t play a game for the Toronto Maple Leafs, then we’ve failed” which convinced the Brazeau’s and his agent that the Leafs are fully committed to giving him a chance and are focused on his development.

Apparently he’s already begun moving to Toronto and working with the Leafs staffs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

The other team offered slightly more money on an AHL deal, but their development plan was for him to hire his own skating coach.

Braszeau’s agent said they left money on the table but Dubas’ words carried weight of gold.

Dubas was the only actual NHL GM to call, the others were all Assistant GM’s or directors.

Dubas outlines the different skills and development coaches that would be available (Belfry, Underhill, Ellis)

Apparently Dubas told his agent “John, if this guy doesn’t play a game for the Toronto Maple Leafs, then we’ve failed” which convinced the Brazeau’s and his agent that the Leafs are fully committed to giving him a chance and are focused on his development.

Apparently he’s already begun moving to Toronto and working with the Leafs staffs

Well at least we are never going to have to worry about Dubas hiding his cards. He's always open and guys can always trust him. I guess that could allow agents or GM's to take advantage of him, but it also makes him a lot easier to deal with.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I absolutely LOVE these quotes.
Commitment to development, check
Being involved at the granular level, check
Taking ownership for players development, check

Also happy to hear he is already working with Leafs coaching and development staff. He looked like a dominant player, but man was his skating bad. Like barely average on the OHL. A bit better than Gauthier at the same age.
He needs the full Gauthier/Boyle treatment from Barb. If he takes a similar step forward as they did, no reason he cant be a bottom 6 guy with possible middle 6 upside.

Main issue is, most guys even with good coaches dont take jumps that large post junior career. Fingers crossed he does.

I'd like to see the Leafs keep going this, find guys who are NHL talents eith 1 glaring weakness, and convincing them to put in the time (with support) to fix the issue. If we can build a reputation as being able to do that as good or better than the other teams, could be an untapped pipeline for talent.
A free NHLer every year more than other teams becomes a huge advantage over time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I absolutely LOVE these quotes.
Commitment to development, check
Being involved at the granular level, check
Taking ownership for players development, check

Also happy to hear he is already working with Leafs coaching and development staff. He looked like a dominant player, but man was his skating bad. Like barely average on the OHL. A bit better than Gauthier at the same age.
He needs the full Gauthier/Boyle treatment from Barb. If he takes a similar step forward as they did, no reason he cant be a bottom 6 guy with possible middle 6 upside.

Main issue is, most guys even with good coaches dont take jumps that large post junior career. Fingers crossed he does.

I'd like to see the Leafs keep going this, find guys who are NHL talents eith 1 glaring weakness, and convincing them to put in the time (with support) to fix the issue. If we can build a reputation as being able to do that as good or better than the other teams, could be an untapped pipeline for talent.
A free NHLer every year more than other teams becomes a huge advantage over time.

You do realize Gauthier was never actually that bad of a skater right? He was better than Brazeau at the same age (even though Brazeau himself is not totally atrocious). He gained a lot more speed on his skates over the past few years but he was always able to move for a larger player and had good balance and agility. That was a large reason why he was able to be as effective as he was in the first place.

Reactions: saltming

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
You do realize Gauthier was never actually that bad of a skater right? He was better than Brazeau at the same age (even though Brazeau himself is not totally atrocious). He gained a lot more speed on his skates over the past few years but he was always able to move for a larger player and had good balance and agility. That was a large reason why he was able to be as effective as he was in the first place.

I always say the Goat as having decent speed but being atrocious at accelerating and mobility east west. He was decent at straight line.

Brazeau is a bi better on accelerating and mobility but worse at straight line speed IMO.

So maybe not "better" but different. Overal if you broke down all the skating categories I think Brazeau wins more than he loses.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I always say the Goat as having decent speed but being atrocious at accelerating and mobility east west. He was decent at straight line.

Brazeau is a bi better on accelerating and mobility but worse at straight line speed IMO.

So maybe not "better" but different. Overal if you broke down all the skating categories I think Brazeau wins more than he loses.

I think Gauthier's speed was worse than anything else with his skating ability. I think that's why he was always able to be an excellent defensive player, because IQ can only take you so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad