Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
I was one of those people, and TBH up until March of last year, I was probably going to be right. It shows that it is never too late.

I started writing off Timashov too and then he just turned things on too.

For me it was when the playoffs stated that Moore changed my opinion of him. It was his huddle and no give up attitude, didn't think he would have made the NHL this yr.
The same with Brooks last yr.

Reactions: teddygmr

horner

May 22, 2007
He was underwhelming.

Also, from the reports I've heard Sandin played alot more than him. Rosen also did when he was on the team.

I've tried before finding the stats on TOI AHL but couldn't. I'm sure you've seen the tweets of games Sandin played 26-28 mins. I haven't seen that about Liljegren. You could correct me ofcourse if I missed something?
Rosen is a couple of yrs older
Sandin is a better dman than him

Just because we have dman that are a step better than him.
Doesnt mean that he isn't a good dman.
It just means that we have some quality dman for the future.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rosen is a couple of yrs older
Sandin is a better dman than him

Just because we have dman that are a step better than him.
Doesnt mean that he isn't a good dman.
It just means that we have some quality dman for the future.

Sandin is better than Rosen right now?

Sandin is a great prospect, and is doing quite well for his age, but he still makes far too many costly mistakes to warrant NHL consideration. Rosen was one of the top AHL defensemen in the league last year, and should be (and will be next year) in the NHL.

If I am picking someone for the NHL next year, I am picking Rosen. In a year's time, it may very well be Sandin. In two years time, when Rosen is a UFA, I definitely expect it to be Sandin on that team, just like how Hainsey was keeping Liljegren's seat warm until he was ready, and Gardiner was keeping Dermott's seat warm until he was ready for a top 4 job.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He's clearly regressed.

Only if you’re stat watching. The first 2 months of the season (until his December injury) he put up 0.444 points/game, and had progressed to playing on the top pairing. He then missed 2.5 months and played on a leg that was clearly feeling the effects of two consecutive ankle injuries, hence the 9 scorelsss games in a row due to the injury/rust and his slightly lower scoring rate this year.

He’s now back on the top pairing where he belongs, but still not in the top PP unit so I wouldn’t expect his numbers to skyrocket until that happens.

Most of the writeups late 2018 early 2019 have been somewhat negative.

The reviews in “late 2018” (ie before his ankle injury) were largely about him playing well at both ends of the ice while assuming a top pairing role.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Filip Kral final stats regular season and playoffs.
GP: 60
Goals: 10
Assists: 28

His production wasn't great in the playoffs, but from the very little info I have, he was still playing well.

His NHLe this season took a disappointing dip, but he still was on the 2nd pairing behind Smith all year so it's at least understandable.

Hoping to see him on the Marlies next year, or being the #1 in Spokane.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I really don't understand why so called Leaf fans have tear apart one prospect (Lilly) to build up a prospect (Sandin)they like better. If you're really a Leaf fan wouldn't you want both to be great? It's mind boggling how these people can be on team this player so other players suck when there's only one team which is the LEAFS!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I really don't understand why so called Leaf fans have tear apart one prospect (Lilly) to build up a prospect (Sandin)they like better. If you're really a Leaf fan wouldn't you want both to be great? It's mind boggling how these people can be on team this player so other players suck when there's only one team which is the LEAFS!

You have seen the Nylander threads, no? Or the Kadri vs. Bozak ones?

I still think Liljegren has a chance to be the better D at the NHL level as he's better in transition, his underlying stats are much better than Sandin's (from what I've seen), and I don't see Sandin's production continuing at the NHL level because he's not going to be getting PP1 minutes. But there's also no denying there isn't a defensive prospect that had a better season production-wise than Sandin this year while also looking this good in a NA men's league.

But really we have both, and they're both projecting to be top-4 defenseman before the age of 21.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
You have seen the Nylander threads, no? Or the Kadri vs. Bozak ones?

I still think Liljegren has a chance to be the better D at the NHL level as he's better in transition, his underlying stats are much better than Sandin's (from what I've seen), and I don't see Sandin's production continuing at the NHL level because he's not going to be getting PP1 minutes. But there's also no denying there isn't a defensive prospect that had a better season production-wise than Sandin this year while also looking this good in a NA men's league.

But really we have both, and they're both projecting to be top-4 defenseman before the age of 21.

Of course I've seen them and I'm just as confused by them as well. I criticize Leaf players all the time but I never pit on Leaf player against another to prove my point.

Reactions: Morgs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
His NHLe this season took a disappointing dip, but he still was on the 2nd pairing behind Smith all year so it's at least understandable.

Hoping to see him on the Marlies next year, or being the #1 in Spokane.

I think I already said it before, but I am not sure Spokane brings him back since he takes up both an OA spot and an Import spot.

For OA consideration they have LD Kral, LW/RW McIndoe, LD King, RW Hanas, G Brkin and G Klassen. Unless they feel like an external guy is better (which I doubt, but is possible), I expect that out of that list Brkin and McIndoe are definitely back and then it is one of Kral or King. Hanas is not going to be in the WHL next year, and Klassen should be a good spot starter for a team like Prince Albert who is going to lose Scott. Kral is much better than King, but King is still solid top 4 stay-at-home guy and if they feel like they can get an Import of significance this year, they may decide to trade Kral (if he even stays in the WHL at all; he could easily turn pro in the Czech leagues by now).

At this point, I think he is in that Lindgren box. Great puck mover who can put up some points, but is going to be known for being reliable defensively more than putting up huge numbers... Which is exactly the type of defenseman I think Dubas likes. If he goes to the Czech league and puts up a respectable season, or he puts up a PPG as the #1 defenseman on Spokane next year (which he certainly would be), I think he gets an ELC and like Lindgren, is loaned to Europe for the first year of it. For now though, we have him for another year so we might as well just wait to see if he can take the next step.

Reactions: Eye Test and Morgs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Of course I've seen them and I'm just as confused by them as well. I criticize Leaf players all the time but I never pit on Leaf player against another to prove my point.

I might if they are going for the same job. I may pit Rosen and Borgman against each other because both will be directly competing for a 3LD job with the Leafs next year, with the other likely replacing Marincin (or going to the Marlies). At least that makes some sense, because ultimately you need to determine who is going to get the spot.

However Sandin and Liljegren are never going to have to compete with each other for a job on the Leafs. One is a LD, the other is RD. There will be ample time for them both to get ice time at ES and on special teams. If they don't make the Leafs, it's because someone else (i.e. Rosen for LD, maybe Duszak or Hollowell for RD) beat them out for their job.

I wouldn't just randomly pit two guys against each other though. There has got to be a pretty damn good reason.

Reactions: Matthews34

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Sandin is better than Rosen right now?

Sandin is a great prospect, and is doing quite well for his age, but he still makes far too many costly mistakes to warrant NHL consideration. Rosen was one of the top AHL defensemen in the league last year, and should be (and will be next year) in the NHL.

If I am picking someone for the NHL next year, I am picking Rosen. In a year's time, it may very well be Sandin. In two years time, when Rosen is a UFA, I definitely expect it to be Sandin on that team, just like how Hainsey was keeping Liljegren's seat warm until he was ready, and Gardiner was keeping Dermott's seat warm until he was ready for a top 4 job.
according to babs Gardiner at 75%is better than Rosen
lol

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What we have seen from Keefe, is he will play young guys if they have earned it. Keefe praising Lilly isn't for confidence reasons. It's because he deserves it.
Go back to his first season, he would criticize Nylander and Kapanen a lot, so don't give me the "he won't go after a player in the media".
If Lilly wasn't playing well, he would say it. He also criticized Brooks this season.
The fact he is playing Lilly on the top pair, has praised him, and didn't limit his role, proves he is playing really well.

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I know he started the season top pairing. He didn't stay there though. Is he back there now? Where's the icetime stats? What I'm saying is Sandin was playing 25 mins a night. Dubas commented on it in an interview.
He started the season on top pair and stayed there. Lilly is playing 25+ minutes a game.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Agreed. I'm not over him yet. I think he has a chance to prove something in the playoffs, and have a rebound year in 2019-2020.

With that said, his first 2 years in the AHL have been underwhelming. He was good but not great at the world juniors. Alot of analysts are questioning if he has the decision making and defensive play for the NHL, I guess we'll let him prove that. He is very young still.

Oh and just a note on Dubas and Sheldon Keefe. They're great people. They don't throw guys under the bus, especially young people who need support. Dubas took a grenade for the whole Leafs team when he easily could have called people out. Keefe has the same mentality as Dubas as they've been together for years. You really think he's going to call a 19 year old out? No, ou pump their tires and allow them to grow confidence.

I've been a Leaf fan for my life and I used to get offended when people criticized prospects too. Hopefully you guys(other posters) will get over that phase. The fact that some of you personally attacked me over a prospect is telling.
You clearly don't know anything about Sheldon Keefe. He has criticized young guys all the time.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ofcourse he is. No prospect on the Leafs could ever play bad or regress.

Guy had a horrible playoffs and you're still saying "from the very little info I have he's playing well."
Of course he is, no prospect is good, and they are all bad to you.
You don't care about facts if they don't fit your agenda.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was underwhelming.

Also, from the reports I've heard Sandin played alot more than him. Rosen also did when he was on the team.

I've tried before finding the stats on TOI AHL but couldn't. I'm sure you've seen the tweets of games Sandin played 26-28 mins. I haven't seen that about Liljegren. You could correct me ofcourse if I missed something?
He was overwhelming. Rosen was good when Lilly was with him. When Lilly got hurt, Rosen fell off a cliff.
Sandin and Lilly are playing 25+ minutes a game.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think I already said it before, but I am not sure Spokane brings him back since he takes up both an OA spot and an Import spot.

For OA consideration they have LD Kral, LW/RW McIndoe, LD King, RW Hanas, G Brkin and G Klassen. Unless they feel like an external guy is better (which I doubt, but is possible), I expect that out of that list Brkin and McIndoe are definitely back and then it is one of Kral or King. Hanas is not going to be in the WHL next year, and Klassen should be a good spot starter for a team like Prince Albert who is going to lose Scott. Kral is much better than King, but King is still solid top 4 stay-at-home guy and if they feel like they can get an Import of significance this year, they may decide to trade Kral (if he even stays in the WHL at all; he could easily turn pro in the Czech leagues by now).

At this point, I think he is in that Lindgren box. Great puck mover who can put up some points, but is going to be known for being reliable defensively more than putting up huge numbers... Which is exactly the type of defenseman I think Dubas likes. If he goes to the Czech league and puts up a respectable season, or he puts up a PPG as the #1 defenseman on Spokane next year (which he certainly would be), I think he gets an ELC and like Lindgren, is loaned to Europe for the first year of it. For now though, we have him for another year so we might as well just wait to see if he can take the next step.

I completely forgot about the option of the Czech League for him. If he doesn't get an ELC (I personally think he should, I still love his potential) that is probably the best thing for him going forward.

Stash him away for couple season like Lindgren and have him come dominate the Marlies almost ready for the Leafs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Aside from Rosen, Lilly is the best overall d man on the team. It's not a surprise Lilly is on the top pair.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I completely forgot about the option of the Czech League for him. If he doesn't get an ELC (I personally think he should, I still love his potential) that is probably the best thing for him going forward.

Stash him away for couple season like Lindgren and have him come dominate the Marlies almost ready for the Leafs.
Thanks for the respectful post on Kral. A certain someone decided to post an attacking post just because I said something good about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad