WC: 2017 Team Finland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Playoff pairs:
Blackhawks-Preds (Pokka/Salomäki, Rinne, Saros)
Wild - Blues ( MiGranlund, Koivu, Haula/ Lehterä, Lindbohm, Husso)
Ducks - Flames ( Vatanen, Kossila)
Oilers - Sharks (Pakarinen, Puljujärvi ,Sallinen/Donskoi)
Canadiens - Rangers (Lehkonen/Raanta)
Senators - Bruins (Jokipakka/Rask)
Caps - Maple Leafs (Komarov, Kapanen,Kaskisuo)
Penguins - Blue Jackets ( Määttä/Nutivaara, Korpikoski, Korpisalo, Hännikäinen)

Bolded=contractless

I would took Koskiranta before Lajunen, T.Sallinen and Kemppainen to team. Depends how he himself feels what is his condition.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Completely understand Risto decision. They didn't want him in 2015, so why national team should be important to him?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Like Teräväinen's decision influenced Aho?

You know, if that's the case, there should be little reason for Armia to hem and haw about it now that Laine already declined. He could just say no and be done with it, no one would bat an eye anymore.

What's far more likely is this: In his heart, Armia wants to go. However, he's not 100%, so there's a voice in his brain telling him he shouldn't risk it. He's taken a timeout to see if those little injuries show signs of improving - and if he can drown out that voice of reason.

It is one possibility, I agree. Teräväinen's influence on Aho joining is a lot different though since Aho has other incentives to join like Marjamäki his former coach being the NT coach.

Speaking of which. It's pretty certain Kukkonen is locked to be in the final team for the same reason that he is Marjamäki's old war horse. Pyörälä has had a great season and no one would oppose about him joining the final team, but what do you guys think about Kukkonen being in the final team? I wouldn't be totally against that. However if Marjamäki gives captaincy to Kukkonen that would be taking it too far. If Minny is out and Koivu isn't coming the C should go to Filppula. Kukkonen (A) so it wouldn't be weird to put him outside the line up if needed I hope.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Completely understand Risto decision. They didn't want him in 2015, so why national team should be important to him?

Doesn't sound right with me. I know you know that the coach is different this time. Believe Jere Lehtinen was the GM back then too though. That may have some effect on his decline decision.

Still I expect more from Ristolainen than to be a primadonna like that. Instead he should be proud to present his country no matter how much he doesn't like the team bosses. Can't help but feel that he is escaping responsibility filling those big shoes that are meant for him to fill as being future captain of the NT. Now I hope he never becomes the captain of the NT in the biggest tournaments.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's pretty certain Kukkonen is locked to be in the final team for the same reason that he is Marjamäki's old war horse.
You're wrong. A bit. Kukkonen won't make it because he's a Marjamäki familiar. Kukkonen will make it because we don't (and won't) have eight better d-men available.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Do you think Patrick Laine will play IIHF tournament ?

No, going to U-18 WCH he is. 19 on 19 april is he. Happi Birthdalainen!

Btw, At U-18 he scored one goalagame in 2014-15!

Finally, the proposition exists that juniors AND SEENiors (over 35) may play in the Olympics in P'ching Chong 2018.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Doesn't sound right with me. I know you know that the coach is different this time. Believe Jere Lehtinen was the GM back then too though. That may have some effect on his decline decision.

Still I expect more from Ristolainen than to be a primadonna like that. Instead he should be proud to present his country no matter how much he doesn't like the team bosses. Can't help but feel that he is escaping responsibility filling those big shoes that are meant for him to fill as being future captain of the NT. Now I hope he never becomes the captain of the NT in the biggest tournaments.

Ristolainen had crazy minutes this season so i completely understand his decision. He has big thinks coming in future, definitely has potential to be one of best defenders in NHL and to became that person he should focus on training. Skoda Cup with tired legs doesn't help that. I don't think he is escaping anything, but if we take a look at year 2015 and how they bring much worse SM-liiga defenders over Ristolainen, it could have some kind of effect about value of our National team to him.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't think he is escaping anything, but if we take a look at year 2015 and how they bring much worse SM-liiga defenders over Ristolainen, it could have some kind of effect about value of our National team to him.
Looks like you haven't quite stayed on top of things.

Ristolainen wasn't snubbed from the 2015 team, he left by his own volition. The reason was that K.Jalonen refused to promise him a spot in the team but was intent on making him wait for final announcement - even when he did intend to have him all along. Jalonen admitted as much once the tournament was over.

Hilariously/tragically, this led to more problems for Jalonen in 2016, when he wanted to avoid that mistake of disgruntling an overseas addition and promised Markus Granlund a spot in the team well ahead of time... Only to be forced to walk back on that promise because we got more NHL forwards than anyone could hope for and he suddenly found no room for MaG after all.

Now, if Ristolainen has bad memories about 2015 and that was his reason for refusing this year - and this is whether he left or was snubbed - that's something one should NOT consider an ameliorating circumstance. Simply because we have a different coach now - one he should have no beef with.

This being said, I don't however think there is a reason to crucify RR over his decision overall. I mean, NT duty is not mandatory, and it could be he was simply tired after practically playing half-hour hockey nights all season. I kinda wish this was the reason he came out with (and same applies for Laine, the last two seasons must have been extremely taxing for a 18-year-old body, no matter how well conditioned) - it'd be 100% understandable and the matter would be essentially closed.

Of course, there would be still be some idiots who couldn't accept it, perhaps citing the old "why would they be fit for playoffs" -mantra* (Jutila :facepalm:)... But in the end, that would only tell you who are the harebrains with opinions not worth listening to.

*The obvious answer to this is, maybe tired players aren't fully fit for the playoffs either, but they have to go out there and play anyway.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Could we see Pulju?
The assumption is he won't be available before the Oilers are out of the race. But if our management does ask for him ahead of time and they release him, then it's possible - likely, even, because you don't generally ask for players you don't intend to have in the final team. It's not as good as a 100% promise, but he'd have to mail it in at the camp pretty badly to not make it.

However, if he comes available "naturally" after the Oilers are out, then I kinda doubt it. It'd essentially mean he'd need to be given a direct spot (though if we really squeeze it, he could make it to the final EHT leg if the series is over in five, six at most) and that is something a player with his merits doesn't probably quite warrant yet.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
This will be the roster if and when Edmonton loses fairly quickly and Armia is ok to go:

Aho - Filppula - Rantanen

Haapala - Aaltonen - Armia

Pyörälä - Kemppainen - Puljujärvi

Osala - Koskiranta - Pihlström

Sallinen, Savinainen

Lepistö - Honka

Hietanen - Kemiläinen

Jaakola - Mikkola

Ohtamaa - Kivistö (Kukkonen, Lehtonen)

Koskinen
Säteri/Metsola/Ortio/Kilpeläinen/Olkinuora

I don't think we need a goalie from North America unless it's Rask, Rinne, Raanta or Saros.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
However, if he comes available "naturally" after the Oilers are out, then I kinda doubt it. It'd essentially mean he'd need to be given a direct spot (though if we really squeeze it, he could make it to the final EHT leg if the series is over in five, six at most) and that is something a player with his merits doesn't probably quite warrant yet.

Marjamäki might want to give his ex player a direct spot. I wouldn't mind. Would certainly raise my excitement level for the tournament seeing Pulju there even if he's not that big of an improvement over some other guy.

This will be the roster if and when Edmonton loses fairly quickly and Armia is ok to go:

Aho - Filppula - Rantanen

Haapala - Aaltonen - Armia

Pyörälä - Kemppainen - Puljujärvi

Osala - Koskiranta - Pihlström

Sallinen, Savinainen

I hope it happens. Must have Armia and Pulju. NYR is the slight favorite over MTL now that they stole 1 of MTL's home games so hoping for Lehkonen as well.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Playoff pairs:
Blackhawks-Preds (Pokka/Salomäki, Rinne, Saros)
Wild - Blues ( MiGranlund, Koivu, Haula/ Lehterä, Lindbohm, Husso)
Ducks - Flames ( Vatanen, Kossila)
Oilers - Sharks (Pakarinen, Puljujärvi ,Sallinen/Donskoi)
Canadiens - Rangers (Lehkonen/Raanta)
Senators - Bruins (Jokipakka/Rask)
Caps - Maple Leafs (Komarov, Kapanen,Kaskisuo)
Penguins - Blue Jackets ( Määttä/Nutivaara, Korpikoski, Korpisalo, Hännikäinen)

Bolded=contractless

I would took Koskiranta before Lajunen, T.Sallinen and Kemppainen to team. Depends how he himself feels what is his condition.

I'm hoping we can get: Armia, Lehkonen, Pulju, Hännikäinen, Nutivaara. Maybe even Koivu? (Although I think he will decline if available)

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Marjamäki might want to give his ex player a direct spot. I wouldn't mind. Would certainly raise my excitement level for the tournament seeing Pulju there even if he's not that big of an improvement over some other guy.
I wouldn't mind it personally. Pulju would certainly be interesting to watch. It's just hard to see other criteria for giving him a direct spot than blatant favoritism. Which, while irrational, is okay for a fan, but rarely excusable for a coach.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I wouldn't mind it personally. Pulju would certainly be interesting to watch. It's just hard to see other criteria for giving him a direct spot than blatant favoritism. Which, while irrational, is okay for a fan, but rarely excusable for a coach.

I pretty much agree with this.

Though about favouritism. I don´t mind if coach brings player who he knows and knows that the player fits to his "gameplan". Coach is under presure and I don´t mind that he builds his team (rather than all-star team). But that fits more to the "role player" department.

Puljujärvi shows glimpses of his talent, but I don´t see him yet having such a breakthrough that he should have direct spot.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Though about favouritism. I don´t mind if coach brings player who he knows and knows that the player fits to his "gameplan". Coach is under presure and I don´t mind that he builds his team (rather than all-star team). But that fits more to the "role player" department.
Well, this is why I said it's hard to see other reasons to give Puljujärvi a direct spot than aforementioned favoritism.

You're describing a case where, despite favoritism playing a part, there are other reasons, and the coach is (at least somewhat) excused.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
I think one of Lehkonen and Raanta is likely to join the team. Both have contracts and both probably have interest too.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Honka and Ohtamaa join the team for the next week.

Also, both of our brand new KHL champions, Koskinen and Koskiranta have declined. Injuries.

Koskiranta is no biggie. Kemppainen is probably a lock now and we still have T.Sallinen and Lajunen as candidates. With Koskinen declining, however, our netminding situation suddenly started to look a little hairy. Given that there's been nothing in the grapevine about the Dallas duo, our hopes on that department likely hinge on somebody being eliminated from the playoffs.

And even there, things don't look awfully bright - from the NT's perspective at least. Rinne is dragging Nashville to the 2nd round almost by himself. I can see Rask easily declining due to being gassed, if Boston's run ends. Raanta might show up if the Rangers are eliminated, but that series is currently a tossup.
Then there is one more option... namely, Korpisalo. Columbus is probably going to bow out. He'd be a bit of a question mark, but if it comes to that, any port in a storm, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad