Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they took the Cup or Bust slogan too literally.

@Oilhawks

I think you have a stalker on the mains.

VE4R41o.gif

Reactions: iCanada

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Look at the Rangers lineup. Its one solid vet after another. I mean they have 10 players on there that have been allstars even without checking. Half a dozen others that have been core players. Tonight wasn't even fair and was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Against the Rangers we're outgunned and outmanned. Thats a tough game to win with the kind of talent and depth Rangers are throwing over the boards.

Rangers had some core players going. We had guys like RNH and Nurse.
I think Holland or whoever the next GM is will have to bite the bullet and deal with the biggest issue on defense (and possibly the team).

Nurse.

He’s possibly more overpaid than any other player on the team (scary when there is Jack Campbell and post-injury Kane on the roster).

His salary alone has handcuffed our ability to improve the roster.

His play is inconsistent.

His friendship with McDavid makes it tough to make a move. But a move likely has to be made if they want to win.

Reactions: Ibanez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Holland or whoever the next GM is will have to bite the bullet and deal with the biggest issue on defense (and possibly the team).

Nurse.

He’s possibly more overpaid than any other player on the team (scary when there is Jack Campbell and post-injury Kane on the roster).

His friendship with McDavid makes it tough to make a move. But a move likely has to be made if they want to win.

You can't trade him IMO. Sutter could work miracles with him though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Look at the Rangers lineup. Its one solid vet after another. I mean they have 10 players on there that have been allstars even without checking. Half a dozen others that have been core players. Tonight wasn't even fair and was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Against the Rangers we're outgunned and outmanned. Thats a tough game to win with the kind of talent and depth Rangers are throwing over the boards.

Rangers had some core players going. We had guys like RNH and Nurse.
I was really impressed with the Rangers in this game.
They looked to me like a veteran team that had everything under control. They didnt try to do too much and so they didnt have to expend more effort than was required.
They played a calm game.
They looked solid to me from front to back.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nurse.

I am all for moving Nurse--but say at 50% retained for the next 6 years it is a steep price pay---4.5 in dead cap?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They looked to me like a veteran team that had everything under control. They didnt try to do too much and so they didnt have to expend more effort than was required.
They played a calm game.

Laviolette is a hard ass coach, there wasn't gonna be any of that 6-5 type of game crap from them tonight.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Nurse.

Just trade the whole team.

Screw the team and screw Jack Michaels and screw Woodcroft and Manson and screw that Dustin Scwatrz.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I am all for moving Nurse--but say at 50% retained for the next 6 years it is a steep price pay---4.5 in dead cap?

I can see it only if they have to trade mcdavid/drai (or both) and decide to rebuild and not care about cap as much. But yeah, pipe dream.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They played a calm game.
With their personnel they should be. It was not one of their better efforts though. I thought they were weak and inattentive in 3rd but that was with a 3 goal lead. Its a vet loaded squad. Their issue will be what kind of legs will that team have by April. The Rangers really dialed in though in 2nd period, and its the way they can play with an allstar lineup. They're worth watching.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Nurse.

Not saying that he’s worth $9.25m (he isn’t), but peoples’ eye-test on Nurse always seems to show him in a more negative light than the actual statistics do. Even strength this season he was 5 goals for, 5 goals against coming into tonight’s game. He was on for 2 against tonight, but by and large, he’s been breaking even in goal differential the last number of years here.

Again, not arguing that he’s amazing, and yes we could do more with the roster if he was paid less, but I see a lot of people not using their heads when they criticize this player because they hate his salary so much.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I do worry about McDavid and Draisaitl's intensity in scenarios like this.

Those two burn with the fire of 1000 suns. If it goes shit like this for too long you run risk of that fire burning out or them turning into Messier in Vancouver.

If we don't turn it around soon, Holland needs to do something.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is a we have crap management that builds rosters that have huge holes in and people get blinded to those holes because when things are good McDavid makes everything seem OK, even close to (gasp) a Cup.

It's actually probably good for this team to go through this ... this management needs to be shamed for what they've done on defense and in net and no hide behind the "but we're close to winning, it's just going to magically happen for us if we just keep getting kicks at the can" which is basically exactly what Holland's thinking is. Because Detroit won by getting kicks at the can, magically it's supposed to happen for the Oilers.

This team had a total embarrassing display in net last year, and just brought back the same tandem and then also with a straight face are talking about basically the job is finished with Connor Brown being added.

The gall of these morons.
If only they had a good gm like dubas right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do worry about McDavid and Draisaitl's intensity in scenarios like this.

Those two burn with the fire of 1000 suns. If it goes shit like this for too long you run risk of that fire burning out or them turning into Messier in Vancouver.

If we don't turn it around soon, Holland needs to do something.

michael-jordan-laughing-clapping-101dtgjodehyp2xj.gif

If only they had a good gm like dubas right?

Dubas is better, honestly the Oilers have the worst management in Canada probably and that's saying something because the Canadian teams all have some level of mismanagement going on. Dubas at least had the brains to not give Campbell that contract which is probably going to cost us a kidney to get out of.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Boys are playing the zone like a 5 man penalty kill. No pressure with a poor transition and easy zone entries for the other team. Tentative and unsure of themselves, confidence is shot.

Wrong system for the wrong players.

They lose vs Calgary it’s gonna get fugly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
With their personnel they should be. It was not one of their better efforts though. I thought they were weak and inattentive in 3rd but that was with a 3 goal lead. Its a vet loaded squad. Their issue will be what kind of legs will that team have by April. The Rangers really dialed in though in 2nd period, and its the way they can play with an allstar lineup. They're worth watching.
I gave the Oilers a little credit in the 3rd.
They upped their game and it pushed the Rangers out of their comfort zone a little.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I can see it only if they have to trade mcdavid/drai (or both) and decide to rebuild and not care about cap as much. But yeah, pipe dream.

If they trade either one of those guys just fold the franchise.

Not even for financial reasons, just out of sheer embarrassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad