Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who takes them for what? Foegele is a 3rd liner on about 2.75 -what team takes that without us adding more assets and not taking back any money.

I get this argument all the time

AS I posted in the Kassian thread--move that contract it took us a 2nd and 3rd. --

No. We are looking at one of Kane, Nuge or Hyman leaving to free up money.

We move players out we need to replace them and it looks more and more we will only have money for guys will to play for league Min and we have seen this song and dance before

Foegele has had a good start so you'll be able to move him without much fuss. It's an expiring contract, if you don't understand why an expiring contract is different from a contract with term on it, it's really not worth my effort to explain it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Waive the player, no?

i don’t get why he just can’t be released
we have been having this discussion on Brown for about a week now--The oilers do not have the balls to send him down or put him on waivers. No matter how badly he plays

He is McDavid's buddy
His agent who negotiated the deal? now runs the team

this is why so many are frustrated,

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Every superstar player has stretches of 4-5 games where they aren't on top of their game.

MacKinnon does, Eichel does, Matthews does, shit the Leafs manage with Matthews missing 10-25 games a year entirely, it's ONLY in Edmonton where if McDavid does that the entire team implodes.

All that tells me is that the team around him is a fraud. Without him they're not even close to a playoff team.
We went 3-2-1 last time he missed 6 consecutive games with way less supporting talent than we have now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There's still time. The Woodcroft Savior line of thinking has died on the vine!
You could spin it the other way too though. That his changes this year have had a significant detrimental effect.

Which is ironic, because the two changes he publicly stated (going to zone defense and more passive neutral zone) were mostly supported by HFOil.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
we have been having this discussion on Brown for about a week now--The oilers do not have the balls to send him down or put him on waivers. No matter how badly he plays

He is McDavid's buddy
His agent who negotiated the deal? now runs the team

this is why so many are frustrated,

Dude are you kidding me? this is wild

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We went 3-2-1 last time he missed 6 consecutive games with way less supporting talent than we have now.

It's not like 3-2-1 deserves a medal. Any team that isn't tanking should be able to hit a 3-2-1 stretch, the Leafs have winning records without Matthews for like 10, 20 games at a time, no fuss.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Every superstar player has stretches of 4-5 games where they aren't on top of their game.

MacKinnon does, Eichel does, Matthews does, shit the Leafs manage with Matthews missing 10-25 games a year entirely, it's ONLY in Edmonton where if McDavid does that the entire team implodes.

All that tells me is that the team around him is a fraud. Without him they're not even close to a playoff team.
So Drai is a fraud. Good to know. Posts like this is why the board thinks you've jumped the shark. Get a grip.

Drai would be the best player on around 25-30 NHL clubs.

Drai made around 6 elite passes tonight even while being double teamed all night. you didn't see any of them. Rangers and other teams can double team Drai because they don't even have to mark anybody else. Double on Drai all day. Did you even spot that?

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Man, this season is like 2017-18 on steroids. As much as people know the roster has some flaws, nobody saw it going down like this. Even in peoples’ most negative predictions, a “bad” start for the Oilers through 7 games would be like what, 3-3-1? This is nuts.

I don’t buy that “this roster totally sucks” like a lot of people are peddling, but something seems totally disconnected between the players and the coaching staff. No chance that they’ve fallen this far in 5 months, just because of losing Bjugstad, Yamamoto and Kostin.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sometimes leadership is getting a coach canned faster. The players know what a debacle this is. They want new coachign staff. Thats the kind of work to rule that happens just prior to a coach fire.

The org will deny the coach is being fired 2-3 X and then it happens suddenly. Its almost always the way.

The only way to save this season is to get some actual coaching. The players are speaking to that with performance. Loudly.
Ironically (or not), the exact same thing happened with Tippett.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You could spin it the other way too though. That his changes this year have had a significant detrimental effect.

Which is ironic, because the two changes he publicly stated (going to zone defense and more passive neutral zone) were mostly supported by HFOil.
I supported properly run zone defence. Not whatever the f*** this is.

Reactions: destro909

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Foegele has had a good start so you'll be able to move him without much fuss. It's an expiring contract, if you don't understand why an expiring contract is different from a contract with term on it, it's really not worth my effort to explain it.
He played some good games last year and posters were saying it would be easy to move him,

this board is great at making assumption.

Who takes him? When? are we adding something? Are we taking a contract back?

So, yes you do need to explain-every season a poster says moving player X will be easy but come the off season

What team is lining up to do the oilers favours? Do far only Detroit has done stuff that is close to being a favour but it still cost us

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So Drai is a fraud. Good to know. Posts like this is why the board thinks you've jumped the shark. Get a grip.

Drai would be the best player on around 25-30 NHL clubs.

Maybe, maybe not. Did he look anywhere close to the best player on the ice tonight or last night? Kaprizov looked miles better.

He's a very good player, but I don't think he's a 120+ point player without McDavid.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's not like 3-2-1 deserves a medal. Any team that isn't tanking should be able to hit a 3-2-1 stretch, the Leafs have winning records without Matthews for like 10, 20 games at a time, no fuss.
Ok and…..it’s above .500 and again this team right now is way better than that team.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He played some good games last year and posters were saying it would be easy to move him,

this board is great at making assumption.

Who takes him? When? are we adding something? Are we taking a contract back?

So, yes you do need to explain-every season a poster says moving player X will be easy but come the off season

What team is lining up to do the oilers favours? Do far only Detroit has done stuff that is close to being a favour but it still cost us

So you pay a 3rd or whatever to move him at the deadline. If the Oilers want to cry about it, maybe stop your dumb ass GM from putting you into that position in the first place.

All I'm saying is what has to be done now going forward.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ironically (or not), the exact same thing happened with Tippett.
Well it did. But oddly enough that team was 5 games over .500 just saying. This team is 1W and 6 losses. Gotta love the Bettman point..

But seriously Tippett didn't have anywhere close to the personnel to work with. The present team has more depth. The only time Drai talked about D and selke level play was under Tippett. Disappeared since. Woody has made Drai into just production players. Volume players that are high event both ways. But neither are outscorers under Woody.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The oilers need smarter players who can play a winning system.

this woody system is obviously too complex for the morons on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad