Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Who are the leaders in the room though? Honest question. Can’t be pouty pants drai (and I love drai).

His pissy pants can be seen every single night.

I see zero leaders in this room
Sometimes leadership is getting a coach canned faster. The players know what a debacle this is. They want new coachign staff. Thats the kind of work to rule that happens just prior to a coach fire.

The org will deny the coach is being fired 2-3 X and then it happens suddenly. Its almost always the way.

The only way to save this season is to get some actual coaching. The players are speaking to that with performance. Loudly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
pretty sure the team was shit with 97.
or did we start the season 5 - 0 before he went down?

Yeah McDavid "only" scores 5 points in the first 4 games and what happens? The team completely falls apart.

That just shows you that he is the entire engine that drove the team the last two years when he took his scoring to superhuman levels.

The rest of the roster just leeches off him, can't even cover for him when he's only "good" and not "superhuman freaking great". No other player in team sports has that much of a burden on them. This team does dick all for him.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Yep.. The thing is. We already see how badly the contract will f*** us next off season and no full well there is nothing we can do
We can waive him but we won’t

This hockey club accepts failures, in fact we encourage it and attract failures from all over the world

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep.. The thing is. We already see how badly the contract will f*** us next off season and no full well there is nothing we can do

You are going to have to trade Kulak or Foegele or both potentially. That you can do, that will minimize/eliminate the cap penalty for next year. If you get under the cap, the bonus applies to this year and not next year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sometimes leadership is getting a coach canned faster. The players know what a debacle this is. They want new coachign staff. Thats the kind of work to rule that happens just prior to a coach fire.

The org will deny the coach is being fired 2-3 X and then it happens suddenly. Its almost always the way.

The only way to save this season is to get some actual coaching. The players are speaking to that with performance. Loudly.
And when Mike Babcock walks through that door Leon and Connor are outta here.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sutter is a good systems coach but the guy just destroys locker rooms. It’s not realistic here.

I will agree about the players.

In the interest of equal opportunity criticism: although much has been made of Woody switching the defensive schemes, if a NHL pro can’t competently adjust to and play a zone system (which I think is actually MORE common in the league than the man to man cover they played last season), then that’s on the player too.

If you don't want to compete and buy in sure he can "destroy" locker rooms.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
You guys gotta waive Brown

smart management does that.

Agreed. His cap hit next year will be around 3 million if I remember right.

The Oilers have to think about the future and needing every penny to re-sign Drai

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Well this has to be worse than even the most pessimistic poster would have ever dreamed up at this point. So much seems so wrong that I don’t even know what a reasonable solution could be.

They seem slow, not just skating slow, but processing slow. They seem distracted and disinterested. There is not a single player who you could say is playing to their potential.

Maybe you try to find a goalie who could steal you some games but does that solve the rest of the malaise? Maybe it does as the team just can’t see path ahead with this tandem.

Will Coaching make that big of a difference? Give them a bounce until they get moving. How bizarre , I didn’t really see them as the contender that the media was calling them but they are literally trending to lottery right now.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

The only way to save this season is to get some actual coaching. The players are speaking to that with performance. Loudly

You might actually be on to something here. The body language on the players is all wrong. And no one seems to be making any eye contact with woody on the bench. Very few convos. I guess we wait

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here comes truth. McD was -5 at one point in season and earning it. His first few games were pretty bad till they put McDrai together again.

Every superstar player has stretches of 4-5 games where they aren't on top of their game.

MacKinnon does, Eichel does, Matthews does, shit the Leafs manage with Matthews missing 10-25 games a year entirely, it's ONLY in Edmonton where if McDavid does that the entire team implodes.

All that tells me is that the team around him is a fraud. Without him they're not even close to a playoff team.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Well this has to be worse than even the most pessimistic poster would have ever dreamed up at this point. So much seems so wrong that I don’t even know what a reasonable solution could be.

They seem slow, not just skating slow, but processing slow. They seem distracted and disinterested. There is not a single player who you could say is playing to their potential.

Maybe you try to find a goalie who could steal you some games but does that solve the rest of the malaise? Maybe it does as the team just can’t see path ahead with this tandem.

Will Coaching make that big of a difference? Give them a bounce until they get moving. How bizarre , I didn’t really see them as the contender that the media was calling them but they are literally trending to lottery right now.
Too long. What is the abridged version of this post?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You are going to have to trade Kulak or Foegele or both potentially. That you can do, that will minimize/eliminate the cap penalty for next year. If you get under the cap, the bonus applies to this year and not next year.
Who takes them for what? Foegele is a 3rd liner on about 2.75 -what team takes that without us adding more assets and not taking back any money.

I get this argument all the time

AS I posted in the Kassian thread--move that contract it took us a 2nd and 3rd. --

No. We are looking at one of Kane, Nuge or Hyman leaving to free up money.

We move players out we need to replace them and it looks more and more we will only have money for guys will to play for league Min and we have seen this song and dance before

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I can just see Sunday, will be a temp 7 degrees and raining, to emphasize 2 shitty hockey teams playing even shittier, on shitty mush.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Listened to all the post-games

I don’t believe a single f***ing word coming out of their mouth. Even Hyman, mans just talking

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

If this were soccer this team would be relegated. Even Ted Lasso couldn’t get this team to care

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad