Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
They actually were the 2nd-best team in the NHL last season over the final 58 games.
Even more mind boggling. It’s like nearly every single returning player has regressed, has lost a step, and also lost their competitive spirit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
See ya next year? I’m signing there so my gal has options? I dont know. Just pissed at this point.
Drai is done hauling his ass for Woody two shoes. He's left so much on the ice the last couple years and as he stated last season was completely wasted. What he didn't say was because of coaching decisions but you can't really say that. But the teams actions speak loudly.

Basically its Foegele that has Woodys back at this point. The brown noser. Most players are laying down. Token efforts. When Holloway is your best forward its easy to tell what happening. Nuge wouldn't play a shift to save the coaches. That is speaking volumes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl has been better than McDavid this year.

And what's the record of the team?

So that's what the Oilers are when McDavid isn't playing like Gretzky.

All that tells you is this team isn't shit without 97.

Can't even go 5 or 6 games without him playing like Superman.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
our big off season acquisition 0 goals, 0 assists -5

What an absolute dog player, Holland hoodwinked yet again,

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This really something. Last season, the Oilers were scoring about 1.25 goals per third period, by far the highest in the NHL. This season 0.14.

Everyone keeps banging on about the Oilers' defensive woes, but how about their lack of offense? They've scored 17 goals in 7 games, or 2.43 per game. Without the Nashville cakewalk, they'd be at 1.83 per game.

There seems to be a "perfect-shitstorm" of futility going on right now:
-- Rugged / Glue-players like Kostin / Yamamoto suddenly missed, having not been replaced.
-- New players (Brown, Erne) doing absolutely nothing
-- McDavid out
-- McLeod and Bouchard badly regressing
-- Nuge in his usual "I don't show up for first half of season" mode
-- Eckholm injured and slowed down
-- Draisaitl pissy
-- Coaching staff trying to implement new defensive system; players slow to adapt to it

I estimated that they would need to go at least 2-1-1 on the current homestand to stay in contention. So, now, they need to go 2-0-1 in the remaining three games.

66ed9e80f7bc175a44e05ab0cf231106.gif
I’ve been saying that all year. Everyone’s talking about the defense and it’s been bad but the offense has been just as bad. We should still be able to score goals.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If they ever actually want to learn to be a solid defensive team and not just a one dimensional "wait for McDavid to do everything on the offense" squad, Sutter is the only person on this planet that can do it with what's here more or less.

Gallant ... he'll probably give them a jolt, sure, fine, but he'll likely run into the same fundamental problem every other Oilers coach has had ... the team has too many stupid players on defense who need to be re-taught everything from the ground floor, which most NHL coaches aren't used to doing, so they basically all just fall into the trap of relying on McMagic to put up enough Ws for a while.
Sutter is a good systems coach but the guy just destroys locker rooms. It’s not realistic here.

I will agree about the players.

In the interest of equal opportunity criticism: although much has been made of Woody switching the defensive schemes, if a NHL pro can’t competently adjust to and play a zone system (which I think is actually MORE common in the league than the man to man cover they played last season), then that’s on the player too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Draisaitl has been better than McDavid this year.
Draisaitl has been the best oiler any other time McDrai has been out. This time his heart doesn't seem in it, and I don't blame him. How many times and seasons do you gotta save a team? Drai piled in 52 goals again last year and another 13 in the playoffs. I'm sure both of McDrai are damn tired hauling a club around on their backs. I kept wondering when that would crack. its too much for two players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Drai is done hauling his ass for Woody two shoes. He's left so much on the ice the last couple years and as he stated last season was completely wasted. What he didn't say was because of coaching decisions but you can't really say that. But the teams actions speak loudly.

Basically it’s Foegele that has Woodys back at this point. The brown noser. Most players are laying down. Token efforts. When Holloway is your best forward it’s easy to tell what happening. Nuge wouldn't play a shift to save the coaches. That is speaking volumes.
Holloway is such a nothing player. Pump and dump time. Throw him in the overflowing bin of failed Oiler prospects.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sutter is a good systems coach but the guy just destroys locker rooms. It’s not realistic here.

I will agree about the players.

In the interest of equal opportunity criticism: although much has been made of Woody switching the defensive schemes, if a NHL pro can’t competently adjust to and play a zone system (which I think is actually MORE common in the league than the man to man cover they played last season), then that’s on the player too.

They're never going to win anything if they never learn how to be more than a 1 dimensional circus show that relies on McDavid to just drive offense.

You can't win a Cup that way.

So it's their risk to take, I'm just saying I think he's the only coach that can make this roster as is work.

Otherwise you have to hire a GM who knows what they're doing unlike the current bozo or the bozo before him to make massive trades immediately. And that's still going to be a problem even if you hire the best person available because they don't have much now, this organization was dumb enough to let these two waste year after year.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Even more mind boggling. It’s like nearly every single returning player has regressed, has lost a step, and also lost their competitive spirit.
I’m baffled by it. Did nobody do any f***ing strength and conditioning all off-season? It’s like half the roster aged 10 years in 5 months.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holloway is such a nothing player. Pump and dump time. Throw him in the overflowing bin of failed Oiler prospects.
Good thing you're not running prospect evaluation. Holy chicken little. Give the kid some time. he finally got a look at Drai tonight for two shifts and looked good. Coach been so busy giving the plum assignments to Foegele and Janmark.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Good thing you're not running prospect evaluation. Holy chicken little. Give the kid some time. he finally got a look at Drai tonight for two shifts and looked good. Coach been so busy giving the plum assignments to Foegele and Janmark.
He did zippo. If he needs Drai to look good (which he didn’t) then that says all we need to know about him.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Rebuild.

team is screwed. Keep McDavid if possible and unload the rest if possible. Stuck with Hyman, nuge and nurse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad