Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There's Sutter, Gallant, Hartley, there's more than a few options, but the core root of the problem is and always has been shit management that builds crap rosters that McDavid has to carry and then it eventually falls apart and the coach gets the boot because management built a roster with a ton of holes in it.
Sutter isn’t a realistic option. Neither is Hartley.

Gallant is but he appears to have an even shorter shelf life than Sutter so it’s probably better to hire him fresh at the start of a new season rather than this nightmare.

The roster has holes but it’s not 1-5-1 bad. A lot of that is on coaching.

Reactions: Ibanez

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The stoppable force vs the movable object. The most intense hockey game of all time
IMG_4247.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
1 goal in 7 third periods. outscored 10-1.
This really something. Last season, the Oilers were scoring about 1.25 goals per third period, by far the highest in the NHL. This season 0.14.

Everyone keeps banging on about the Oilers' defensive woes, but how about their lack of offense? They've scored 17 goals in 7 games, or 2.43 per game. Without the Nashville cakewalk, they'd be at 1.83 per game.

There seems to be a "perfect-shitstorm" of futility going on right now:
-- Rugged / Glue-players like Kostin / Yamamoto suddenly missed, having not been replaced.
-- New players (Brown, Erne) doing absolutely nothing
-- McDavid out
-- McLeod and Bouchard badly regressing
-- Nuge in his usual "I don't show up for first half of season" mode
-- Eckholm injured and slowed down
-- Draisaitl pissy
-- Coaching staff trying to implement new defensive system; players slow to adapt to it

I estimated that they would need to go at least 2-1-1 on the current homestand to stay in contention. So, now, they need to go 2-0-1 in the remaining three games.

66ed9e80f7bc175a44e05ab0cf231106.gif

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It really is mind boggling that other than a few minor parts, this is the same team that had pretty much the best record in the league the last 1/4 of last year.

We lost some pretty effective bottom 6 players in Bjugstad, Yamamoto, Kostin, Puljujarvi, etc. all of those guys could at least pressure the puck and put in some solid forechecking

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Remember when I was telling yall we are wasting McDrai’s prime like 4 years ago ?????

Hahahahah

The Oilers wasted their prime years by not getting them a legit captain to steer the team.
a #1 Dman, an all star goalie, and legit winners to surround, and insulate them.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Supporting this product is just... how. How do people justify it to themselves.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sutter isn’t a realistic option. Neither is Hartley.

Gallant is but he appears to have an even shorter shelf life than Sutter so it’s probably better to hire him fresh at the start of a new season rather than this nightmare.

The roster has holes but it’s not 1-5-1 bad. A lot of that is on coaching.

If they ever actually want to learn to be a solid defensive team and not just a one dimensional "wait for McDavid to do everything on the offense" squad, Sutter is the only person on this planet that can do it with what's here more or less.

Gallant ... he'll probably give them a jolt, sure, fine, but he'll likely run into the same fundamental problem every other Oilers coach has had ... the team has too many stupid players on defense who need to be re-taught everything from the ground floor, which most NHL coaches aren't used to doing, so they basically all just fall into the trap of relying on McMagic to put up enough Ws for a while.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I can proudly say I haven’t spent a dollar on Oilers merch since 2016 and Oilers games since 2018.

Even during playoff time, I didn’t support OEG at all, not a single f***ing penny. Will continue to do so

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I can’t see how people want to pay for this? I wouldn’t go if given tickets and lived in the city. That would require effort and going out in the cold. Nah.

Reactions: Kerberos

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Kane had 5 hits... the guy still gives a shit and is giving it his best... I give him credit for that.. even though his offense has likely dropped off a cliff at this point.
Not a good way to look at it.

One of his “hits” he went in on the last rangers skater when they were breaking out which led to an odd man rush chance the other way

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Kane had 5 hits... the guy still gives a shit and is giving it his best... I give him credit for that... even though his offense has likely dropped off a cliff at this point.
He's been better, much more engaged.

But you can see his hands aren't all there yet. He's tries to do things with the puck he used to be able to pull off, but loses control instead of getting the result he was aiming for.

Reactions: Ibanez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad