Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Dude are you kidding me? this is wild
You do know who Jeff Jackson is and what he did before he become the head honcho for the oilers?

Brown signed July 1st 2023 when Jackson was still his agent. A month later the oilers hired Jackson as well.

Please tell me you are just trying to wind me up using English Humour and that you knew full well the guy who negotiated the deal for Brown now works for the oilers

So you pay a 3rd or whatever to move him at the deadline. If the Oilers want to cry about it, maybe stop your dumb ass GM from putting you into that position in the first place.

All I'm saying is what has to be done now going forward.
but finding this magical team is the problem

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You do know who Jeff Jackson is and what he did before he become the head honcho for the oilers?

Brown signed July 1st 2023 when Jackson was still his agent. A month later the oilers hired Jackson as well.

Please tell me you are just trying to wind me up using English Humour and that you knew full well the guy who negotiated the deal for Brown now works for the oilers
I did not know this connection.

I thought Brown would be better. He sucks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok and…..it’s above .500 and again this team right now is way better than that team.

That team had an actual goalie on it (Mike Smith) though who could win an occasional game on his own and stem the tide for a few games possibly.

This team ... good f***ing luck with that one, lol.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Any number of teams can do it. Foegele's actual salary at the deadline is what? Like 900k? You're acting like he makes 5 million dollars.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You are going to have to trade Kulak or Foegele or both potentially. That you can do, that will minimize/eliminate the cap penalty for next year. If you get under the cap, the bonus applies to this year and not next year.
Isn't the cap rising next season anyway?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That team had an actual goalie on it (Mike Smith) though who could win an occasional game on his own and stem the tide for a few games possibly.

This team ... good f***ing luck with that one, lol.
No goalie was saving us tonight. Point is they haven’t always imploded without McDavid. They went 3-2-1 without Mc David with Ethan Bear on the top pair and Josh Archibald in the top 6. This isn’t a we don’t have Mc David problem it’s a full team crapping the bed problem.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Isn't the cap rising next season anyway?

It's rising massively, so yeah a team taking on 2.7 million in salary (even) if it was Kulak is like no big deal.

I'd say Chicago should look at something like that, Kulak is a decent enough veteran bottom pair guy, don't make the freaking mistake the Oilers made in not investing barely anything in their blue line.

Get solid defenders in there around Bedard and don't waste several years doing it.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well...obviously not the desired outcome and this probably wont be popular but this was a better effort.
The Rangers are one of the best defensive teams in the League. They dont give up much.
The Rangers owned the 2nd period and that was the game.

That aside...I thought that the team played better defensively in this game...especially on the PK.
Kept the Rangers to the outside for the most part.
I also thought that there wasnt much Skinner could do on any of the 3 goals.
He played a good game.

This was Browns best game of the season. Strong on the forecheck and he also had multiple chances to score. His game is coming around.

I found myself rewinding the game quite a bit so I could get a better sense of what was going on with this team.
The biggest issue I noticed in this game (and its a continuing issue) was that the team looks tentative. Thinking too much.
When you consider the poor line changes so far (almost got caught in this game too) that makes sense. Too much hesitation.
I am not sure why that is...could be the new system...could be the pressure of playing every game as a Cup favorite so the opposing teams are ready to play them...could be that they are just gripping the sticks too tight because of the expectations that they have put on themselves.
Could be all of the above.

The team actually reminds me of a golfer that has the yips.
Once they work that out of their game they will play with more cohesion and the wins will come.
I think that they will be better next game and the good news is that they will be playing another struggling team that is only 2 points ahead of them in the standings.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Seattle had the worst high danger sv% at 5v5 in the league last year at just over 79%.

The Oilers goalies right now are stopping 65% lmao. It’s literally almost a coin flip that if the other team gets a genuine chance it’s going to end up in the back of the Oilers net.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI

Hey, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I actually didn't know about Brown and how his agent ended up being with the Oilers. When you said that it blew my mind. I was just saying it seems like a good idea to waive Brown

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well...obviously not the desired outcome and this probably wont be popular but this was a better effort.
The Rangers are one of the best defensive teams in the League. They dont give up.

That aside...I thought that the team played better defensively in this game...especially on the PK.
He played a good game.

This was Browns best game of the season. Strong on the forecheck and he also had multiple chances to score. His game is coming around.

I found myself rewinding the game quite a bit so I could get a batter sense of what was going on with this team.
The biggest issue I noticed in this game (and its a continuing issue) was that the team looks tentative. Thinking too much.
When you consider the poor line changes so far (almost got caught in this game too) that makes sense. Too much hesitation.
I am not sure why that is...could be the new system...could be the pressure of playing every game as a Cup favorite so the opposing teams are ready to play them...could be that they are just gripping the sticks too tight because of the expectations that they have put on themselves.

So despite losing 3-0 there were some positives in this game. They remind me of a golfer that has the yips.
Once they work that out of their game they will play with more cohesion and the wins will come.
I think that they will be better next game and the good news is that they will be playing another struggling team that is only 2 points ahead of them in the standings.
This is actually a really good take away from the game...
I think once I calm down tomorrow, i'll appreciate it even more

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No goalie was saving us tonight. Point is they haven’t always imploded without McDavid. They went 3-2-1 without Mc David with Ethan Bear on the top pair and Josh Archibald in the top 6. This isn’t a we don’t have Mc David problem it’s a full team crapping the bed problem.

This is a we have crap management that builds rosters that have huge holes in and people get blinded to those holes because when things are good McDavid makes everything seem OK, even close to (gasp) a Cup.

It's actually probably good for this team to go through this ... this management needs to be shamed for what they've done on defense and in net and no hide behind the "but we're close to winning, it's just going to magically happen for us if we just keep getting kicks at the can" which is basically exactly what Holland's thinking is. Because Detroit won by getting kicks at the can, magically it's supposed to happen for the Oilers.

This team had a total embarrassing display in net last year, and just brought back the same tandem and then also with a straight face are talking about basically the job is finished with Connor Brown being added.

The gall of these morons.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is actually a really good take away from the game...
I think once I calm down tomorrow, i'll appreciate it even more
Its funny you say that because once the Rangers went up 2-0 I realized that the game was over and that there was no point in being pissed off. I calmed right down and just tried to objectively observe the game from that point on.
I might try that more often...lol

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If this doesn’t turn itself around quickly, this team would be smart to dump some salary so that Brown’s bonus hits this year’s cap rather than next year’s. Honestly, it wouldn’t be the worst thing to move some salary anyway for that purpose. Getting some breathing room under the cap could allow at least some of the $3.225m to count on this season instead of next.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Maybe, maybe not. Did he look anywhere close to the best player on the ice tonight or last night? Kaprizov looked miles better.

He's a very good player, but I don't think he's a 120+ point player without McDavid.
Look at the Rangers lineup. Its one solid vet after another. I mean they have 10 players on there that have been allstars even without checking. Half a dozen others that have been core players. Tonight wasn't even fair and was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Against the Rangers we're outgunned and outmanned. Thats a tough game to win with the kind of talent and depth Rangers are throwing over the boards.

Rangers had some core players going. We had guys like RNH and Nurse.

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well it did. But oddly enough that team was 5 games over .500 just saying. This team is 1W and 6 losses. Gotta love the Bettman point..

But seriously Tippett didn't have anywhere close to the personnel to work with. The present team has more depth. The only time Drai talked about D and selke level play was under Tippett. Disappeared since. Woody has made Drai into just production players. Volume players that are high event both ways. But neither are outscorers under Woody.
Brace for coach MacT redux. ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You could spin it the other way too though. That his changes this year have had a significant detrimental effect.

Which is ironic, because the two changes he publicly stated (going to zone defense and more passive neutral zone) were mostly supported by HFOil.
These are largely player issues and self mistakes that keep repeating themselves coach after coach after coach. Personnel wise, defense is not good enough, goaltending is not good enough to cover for poor defensive zone gaffes and add to the fire drill with at least one bad goal per game. Compound things when this team who seemingly could score its way out of its dumbness now can't score in a proverbial Cathouse.

Systems play for elite professional players is not some sort of great mystery. They've all played in varying systems forever since their talent manifested as young kids. Coach Wood hasn't done any favours with line juggling. He certainly hasn't helped to stabilize this team instead they are looking more and more lost with no redeeming element to their game.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
These are largely player issues and self mistakes that keep repeating themselves coach after coach after coach. Personnel wise, defense is not good enough, goaltending is not good enough to cover for poor defensive zone gaffes and add to the fire drill with at least one bad goal per game. Compound things when this team who seemingly could score its way out of its dumbness now can't score in a proverbial Cathouse.

Systems play for elite professional players is not some sort of great mystery. They've all played in varying systems forever since their talent manifested as young kids. Coach Wood hasn't done any favours with line juggling. He certainly hasn't helped to stabilize this team instead they are looking more and more lost with no redeeming element to their game.
I’ve already posted that in this thread, way ahead of you. ;)

But I still believe in 80/20 despite that. :)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Rangers are one of the best defensive teams in the League. They dont give up.

He played a good game.

I found myself rewinding the game quite a bit so I could get a batter sense of what was going on with this team.

The team actually reminds me of a golfer that has the yips.

I mean really it was 4-0, that goal called back was a total pity call, lol. You know you suck ass when the NHL is giving you those calls, that should have counted.

And the Rangers had a sequence where they hit the post twice in like 2 minutes.

That easily could've been a 6-0 game for them.

But sure, they weren't the total tire fire they were in Minnesota. Yippie. Only allowed 4 goals this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad