Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Kulak, Desharnais and Ceci combined for 0 hits today. ZERO!!! This is PROFESSIONAL ICE HOCKEY!!!! HOW DO YOU HAVE NO HITS?????

What is WRONG with this team?

B80E1FA3-08CF-41F8-A870-CFA37B25A625.gif

Oct 15, 2008
Seattle had the worst high danger sv% at 5v5 in the league last year at just over 79%.

The Oilers goalies right now are stopping 65% lmao. It’s literally almost a coin flip that if the other team gets a genuine chance it’s going to end up in the back of the Oilers net.
We have the second worst goal diff in the league. Only SJ is worse. The Ducks and the Coyotes have a better goal diff than the Oilers ffs

• Wow
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It’s unbelievable that woody suddenly decided to do a 180 degree turn and wont back down. “But Boston does it”. Edm isn’t Boston. What works for one team doesn’t work for another. He has destroyed this team in every single facet of the game in only 7 games. That’s why the media was picking Edm for the cup prior to because the team was staying the course. Did he fall and hit his head in the off season or something? The Dark days have returned.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That goes without saying. He’s changed systems 3 times in 3 years and held two awful training camps implementing two of them.
I mean these are the best of the best of hockey players, who have all played some form of the system being implemented since Atom rep. I find it hard to believe that literally none of them can implement it. Woody was on a short leash with me after the playoff debacle, and I’m pretty much done with him, and I think the boys are too. And ya, they are coddled and we’ve had a gazillion coaches and we always end up back at the same place, but the roster is what it is, and they’ve proven that they can be motivated in spurts by a coaching change, so that may be the only way to save the season at this point. Can’t believe I’m saying this after only 7 games, but that’s the sad reality.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean these are the best of the best of hockey players, who have all played some form of the system being implemented since Atom rep. I find it hard to believe that literally none of them can implement it. Woody was on a short leash with me after the playoff debacle, and I’m pretty much done with him, and I think the boys are too. And ya, they are coddled and we’ve had a gazillion coaches and we always end up back at the same place, but the roster is what it is, and they’ve proven that they can be motivated in spurts by a coaching change, so that may be the only way to save the season at this point. Can’t believe I’m saying this after only 7 games, but that’s the sad reality.

Woody is a decent coach, but he's way too nice and doesn't believe in hard work during practices.

He dug his own grave by trying to change systems (which was the right call) with a dumb defensive unit and then having a 2nd straight candy ass training camp.

For all the people who kick and scream about old fashioned "hard" coaches, well this is the opposite and is it any better? You have a so-called Cup contender playing like a Dallas Eakins team because there's no structure, no intensity in practice, no accountability, just some guy who wants to be nice to everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
It’s unbelievable that woody suddenly decided to do a 180 degree turn and wont back down. “But Boston does it”. Edm isn’t Boston. What works for one team doesn’t work for another. He has destroyed this team in every single facet of the game in only 7 games. That’s why the media was picking Edm for the cup prior to because the team was staying the course. Did he fall and hit his head in the off season or something? The Dark days have returned.
Yup. They lost against Vegas because he stubbornly stuck with Skinner when he was clearly struggling, not because of the defensive system. They misdiagnosed the problem. That is malpractice.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Seattle had the worst high danger sv% at 5v5 in the league last year at just over 79%.

The Oilers goalies right now are stopping 65% lmao. It’s literally almost a coin flip that if the other team gets a genuine chance it’s going to end up in the back of the Oilers net.
And it's compounded by a terminal case of No Finish amongst the forwards on this team now. It was bad last year as well but McDavid said "f*** it I'LL score then" a lot of the time which obviously isn't an option right now.

The goalies don't make big saves and the forwards need a ton of high danger chances of their own to actually score.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup. They lost against Vegas because he stubbornly stuck with Skinner when he was clearly struggling, not because of the defensive system. They misdiagnosed the problem. That is malpractice.

I mean they let Marchessault have a picnic in front of the net in the Vegas series.

In no way should they be proud of the defensive effort in the playoffs in either of the last two years.

It was horse shit.

Now this D group is too dumb to figure out a zone defense, well I guess it is what it is then. Jay's style of no intensity and no accountability doesn't help. He should have ran a tougher camp and gotten this stuff hammered into their heads before game 1.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Oilers still cant figure out by rebuild 3.0 that not having a legit number one goalie and more then two d men who are legit top 4 or better is not the recipe for success.
The team also blew it on building around Connor. I know its hindsight, but drafting connor's jr linemate in debrincat instead of benson would have landed us that goal scoring winger for connor the team has been coveting ever since we drafted connor. Or Hart instead of benson-set us up for best shot at getting that number 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Woody is a decent coach, but he's way too nice and doesn't believe in hard work during practices.

He dug his own grave by trying to change systems (which was the right call) with a dumb defensive unit and then having a 2nd straight candy ass training camp.

For all the people who kick and scream about old fashioned "hard" coaches, well this is the opposite and is it any better? You have a so-called Cup contender playing like a Dallas Eakins team because there's no structure, no intensity in practice, no accountability, just some guy who wants to be nice to everyone.
You say he's decent, then list a handful of things that doesn't even make him decent. A decent coach for a cup contending team teaches structure and runs trainings with some intensity. A decent coach also holds his players accountable, plays the correct personel and has a general plan how to run a team. Woody atm does none of these things.

A coach can't be nice to anyone. This is a professional sports team, not some hospitality service for guys that play Hockey by accident. Woody needs to take a long hard ass look in the mirror and get his shit together.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
There are no fewer than 4 roster moves the Oilers could make to shake things up. These are all within their power to do. Will they do any of them?

1. Send down Broberg (5 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -1)
2. Send down Holloway (6 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -2)
3. Waive and send down Erne (zero risk)
4. Waive and send down Brown (near zero risk he would be claimed given where he is at. The plan would be to recall him in a few weeks/months when he gets to NHL speed and confidence. No doubt this is the least likely to happen).

Potential recall candidates:
Lavoie, Peterson, Bourgault, Malone, Hamblin
Niemelainen, Gleason

I think the Heritage Classic game is the end day for the above players. One or more will not be on the roster after that game. Personally, I want to see actual production from Holloway at the NHL level. In the meantime, he's a tweener and it's totally justifiable to send him down to play a bigger role in Bakersfield. I also think Brown should be working himself into NHL condition in Bakersfield. Contracts are a two-way street and no one forced him to sign here. He didn't do the Oilers a favor here. He isn't helping right now. I also don't believe the nonsense that waiving him would hurt their ability to sign UFAs in the future. Every UFA situation is unique.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The Rangers threw us a bone. They put Quick in net. Dudes been terrible for years.

Oilers proceed to get 1 shot on net after like the first 10 minutes and like 10 shots halfway through the game. They totally just didn’t challenge him. We somehow made Quick look good.

This is just dumb players with a dumb coaching staff.

Like why tf is Erne here? Even he's suprised he made it.

Lazy GM and lazy hockey operations department. Combined with a coach running a lazy preseason.

Last edited:

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
The Rangers threw us a bone. They put Quick in net. Dudes been terrible for years.

Oilers proceed to get 1 shot on net after like the first 10 minutes and like 10 shots halfway through the game. They totally just didn’t challenge him. We somehow made Quick look good.

This is just dumb players with a dumb coaching staff.

Lazy GM and lazy hockey operations department. Combined with a coach running a lazy preseason.
Erne is a signing completely reminiscent of the Perlini signing a few years ago. He's a depth player who was marginally more effective in the eyes of the coaches at camp. It is absolutely clear that he's a place holder and will be nowhere near this roster by March (likely he's not here way before then).

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Trying to play 1/3/1 and zone D was always slated for failure. Most everyone here ridiculed my suggested trades over the summer. Everything i said would happen has come true. Yes in some of those trades i was over paying in assets but thats what it would have taken. I told people here we have the wrong personnel to play a total LOU type game.
This is all on Holland not doing anything. Its time to fire the creator of the team not the guy trying to make this idea work.
Now your all whining like stuck pigs.
The right thing to do is to return to Loosey goosey cheat for offense and try to outscore opponets 6-5 again. Send Desi/Broberg/Erne down and bring up Nemo/Gleason/Malone for the time being. THIS GIVES US TIME TO DECIDE OUR DIRECTION FORWARD AND A NEW GM WHAT PLAYERS HE NEEDS.
In-season trades will cost us but one or two right now will help some. Smaller ones for defensive type players. PLay out this season. And reconfigure next year for 1/3/1.
IF they decide to return to a modified1/3/1 in the future or just supplement What we had with 1 starter 2d men and a couple of bottom six guys Great.
If they really want to go to a defensive counterpunching team which is not what i think they should do they probably have to consider moving Draisaitl cause its one way they could get the players they need and obviously he isn't the greatest at D.
No one really wants this.
I still cannot believe that with Grier, Briere, Armstrong and Hughes all basically hanging out the shingle for trades that our great Leader did absolutely nothing especially after seeing what happened with Vegas. Any idiot sitting on a stump chewing bubble gum could see what needed to be done.

Last edited:

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
This guy nurse doesn’t have an ounce of accountability, worst leader and defenceman in all the league , and they pay him 9 mil for his useless ass

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
nobody was beating Vegas last year. Oilers game them a good go. But putting Campbell in would not have put the oil into the third round.
Having said that.....Quenville would be a goid fit for this club.
Either way, Oilers will pull out of this. Like last season - Make play offs - be peaking come March into April.
New coach or not.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We have the second worst goal diff in the league. Only SJ is worse. The Ducks and the Coyotes have a better goal diff than the Oilers ffs
And that’s including the obligatory blow out of Nashville. As I said up thread, this is so much worse than anyone could’ve predicted. Every, and I mean every, facet of the game is trash right now with no easy answers to any of it.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad