Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Well, we knocked off a heavily favored Flames team in the playoffs and got past egregious LA biased reffing two years in a row. 'Twas a good run.

HqVOJK.gif

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers need to play at a .627 pace to get 97 points which is the probable cut line to guarantee a playoff spot.

.592 is the pace you need from the start of the season.

So lots of runway left but they need to actually board the plane so it can taxi for takeoff rather than sitting around in the executive lounge drinking the free drinks while your names being paged over the intercom warning that the gate is closing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2017 Redux? No we started good that year. This is 2013 redux where we had an identical 1-5-1, 3-6-1 after 10 games….can we even be that good.

Reminder, our goalies were Dubnyk and Labarbera and our leading scorer was Taylor Hall with 80 points.

After 6 games we had 32 GA, 20GF that year. This year we have 17 GF 30GA.
We are currently, WORSE than we were to start the year we drafted Draisaitl.

This was the opening lineup that year

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Arcobello - Yakupov
Gazdic - Acton - Brown

Ference - Petry
Smid - Schultz
Schultz - Belov

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
@Missing smitty the freakin announcer called Nurse for screening the goalie. Todays player grades called him as screening the goalie.

Should Skinner have stopped that shot? Ya, maybe, but if you watch tape of this years games you will see Nurse has screened the goalies on ALOT of goals.

I watched a NYR/Buff game earlier this year. Nyr must have set a record in blocked shots. They blocked those shots cuz they attacked the shooters.

Anyone callling Nurse a #1 or 2 or even 3 is outta their mind. His gap control is beyond ridiculous. He falls back giving players all day, then screens our goalies 80% of the time.
That 3rd goal was a 100% on him. The Ranger entered the zone by himself, was allowed to stand there and pull up a lawnchair until his teamates caught up. Watch Nurse on that play. He falls back and literally does nothing when all he had to do was step up 2 feet when the guy crossed the line originally. Disgusting defense no matter how much he gets paid

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Erne is a signing completely reminiscent of the Perlini signing a few years ago. He's a depth player who was marginally more effective in the eyes of the coaches at camp. It is absolutely clear that he's a place holder and will be nowhere near this roster by March (likely he's not here way before then).

March?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
So were Coffey's comments a not very subtle hint about our defense?
The stuff about communication? I took that as a direct comment on that lack thereof that he feels he’s observed on this current club. That said the pairings have been switched around enough that developing trust with a partner must be difficult.

Reactions: joestevens29

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The stuff about communication? I took that as a direct comment on that lack thereof that he feels he’s observed on this current club. That said the pairings have been switched around enough that developing trust with a partner must be difficult.

Defensive pairings have been switched around? Nurse and Ceci played every game together. Ekholm and Bouchard played every game together. About the only guy whos been played like a yoyo is Broberg.

Been some switching around this year due to injuries but I don’t think playing with different partners is the problem. Granted Coffey probably only sees the Oilers when they come to Toronto area.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
All that 'cup or bust' talk. All that 'switching our defensive system' talk. Errors in judgement from top to bottom. Misplaced confidence and arrogance. A disturbing gap between what was believed to be true and reality so far. This all has to be incredibly embarrassing.

I've been around here long enough for u guys to know that I don't usually pitch in with the complaining or finger-pointing. But the blame for this (again, so far) permeates through the entire organization. From the GM, to suspect coaching decisions and poor assessment of player assets. And--dare I say it--on-ice leadership.

Ok I'm done :)

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
All that 'cup or bust' talk. All that 'switching our defensive system' talk. Errors in judgement from top to bottom. Misplaced confidence and arrogance. A disturbing gap between what was believed to be true and reality so far. This all has to be incredibly embarrassing.

I've been around here long enough for u guys to know that I don't usually pitch in with the complaining or finger-pointing. But the blame for this (again, so far) permeates through the entire organization. From the GM, to suspect coaching decisions and poor assessment of player assets. And--dare I say it--on-ice leadership.

Ok I'm done :)

There's all this talk about needing another winger, or some upgrade on the defense.

I call Bull shit. It's the water... there's something in that dressing room... organziation.. something I don't know about that turns wears on the players. Something that brings out the worst of them instead of the best of them.

A personal or coaching change may resuscitate them for awhile. But the sickness will return. Perhaps it's just Canada'itis. Perhaps it's just too f***ing cold to play here. Too much pressure. Who knows but there's a reason Canada don't win cups. I suspect it's just not as much fun to be filthy rich in Canada quite frankly.

Reactions: Duke74

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
@Missing smitty the freakin announcer called Nurse for screening the goalie. Todays player grades called him as screening the goalie.

Should Skinner have stopped that shot? Ya, maybe, but if you watch tape of this years games you will see Nurse has screened the goalies on ALOT of goals.

I watched a NYR/Buff game earlier this year. Nyr must have set a record in blocked shots. They blocked those shots cuz they attacked the shooters.

Anyone callling Nurse a #1 or 2 or even 3 is outta their mind. His gap control is beyond ridiculous. He falls back giving players all day, then screens our goalies 80% of the time.
That 3rd goal was a 100% on him. The Ranger entered the zone by himself, was allowed to stand there and pull up a lawnchair until his teamates caught up. Watch Nurse on that play. He falls back and literally does nothing when all he had to do was step up 2 feet when the guy crossed the line originally. Disgusting defense no matter how much he gets paid
That shot gets stopped 99% of the time by an NHL goaltender. I'm not defending Nurse at all, dude is not a number 1 or even a number 2 defenseman. Skinner isn't the answer to their problems if he is making just as many mistakes as the dmen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That shot gets stopped 99% of the time by an NHL goaltender. I'm not defending Nurse at all, dude is not a number 1 or even a number 2 defenseman. Skinner isn't the answer to their problems if he is making just as many mistakes as the dmen.

I think it's becoming more and more obvious Skinner and Campbell both are just Koskinen level goalies more or less.

They are not able to elevate really even to a Mike Smith level. Smitty was legit at one time thought of as one of the top goalies in the game, we got an older version of him who wasn't quite as good but still very competitive.

Koskinen had a .917 season once too here, so don't tell me to fall over for Skinner's .914 last year.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Find it disgusting that only now are they mad at themselves and each other. Where the hell was this a week ago? Time for that was after the Philly game, but only now that they realize that they're an embarrassment.

I'll just go down the list of the biggest disappointments so I can get it out of my head.

Nurse - couple of the Darnell Nurse specials tonight. Gap control so bad that it would put a rookie in the press box. The second one was as egregious as it gets. Take a step and poke check him for f*** sakes. Instead dumbass just stands there and watches him zip one cross ice. I won't even mention whatever the hell he was doing on the Fox breakaway. He talks about holding each other accountable post game, would be nice if for once in his life he stepped up and acknowledged that he was a joke in a game.

Draisaitl - Nice little la de da game from him again. Rangers are stuffing 4 players in the neutral zone? Well may as well stand there and try to zip passes cross ice through the middle. Team isn't getting any shots on goal? May as well stop up high in the zone and try more hero passes to nowhere. Casual, cute, bullshit hockey. Someone needs to get a hold of him and tell him that he's got to start moving his feet, driving the puck to the f***ing net, and actually shooting once in a blue moon off a shot that isn't a gift one timer.

RNH - Joke. Floating around, skating in quicksand, slow to make decisions, slow to move, slow to make reads, slow in every facet of the game. Defensively he is an absolute tire fire. Get him out of the C position, even if it means elevating McLeod. RNH cannot play C and we need to stop pretending he can.

When the players that are supposed to be your best players are your worst players the stink runs all the way down the lineup. Once again we have to sit here and talk about how Warren Foegele and Dylan Holloway were probably our best players up front. Incredible.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is tied for the worst start in Oilers history. With the 2012/2013 Oilers (we ended up drafting Drai) and the 92/93 team (drafted Arnott).

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad