2017 Draft Discussion - Sabres Pick 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
We'l probably picking in the top 8, so outside of Liljegren there is really no defenseman worth taking

I'm really hoping for Liljegren

Agreed. As much as we need D-men, if we're picking in that 5-8 range like I think we will end up, BPA probably means taking a forward. And I'm OK with that, we still need talent in the pipeline.

A guy like Middlestadt is very intriguing to add some high level skill to the pipeline at center.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Agreed. As much as we need D-men, if we're picking in that 5-8 range like I think we will end up, BPA probably means taking a forward. And I'm OK with that, we still need talent in the pipeline.

A guy like Middlestadt is very intriguing to add some high level skill to the pipeline at center.

Where does Las Vegas draft? 4th overall going into lottery? Ya we are picking 5th at best. Probably 6th. Detroit is tumbling..... 7th.

We are drafting 7th.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Last night was a good night for the tank.... er draft

Red Wings WIN - Check
Leafs WIN - Check
Panthers WIN - Check
Hurricanes WIN - Check
Bruins WIN - Check

Heck even the Devils won Friday night.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't see it happening but I would absolutely love if we could get Nolan Patrick, he's not Auston Matthews but he is going to be one of those guys who jumps in and makes an impact right away, he's great in traffic.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres need to draft a d-man -- there's no debate here at all. I'd trade down if necessary and get some extra assets. This is idea of best player available doesn't work. There are so few trades these days, for whatever reason, you just keep your own guys.

We need to build the D -- QUICKLY. A top pick could be in lineup for 2018-19.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sabres need to draft a d-man -- there's no debate here at all. I'd trade down if necessary and get some extra assets. This is idea of best player available doesn't work. There are so few trades these days, for whatever reason, you just keep your own guys.

We need to build the D -- QUICKLY. A top pick could be in lineup for 2018-19.

I want foote badly and I'm willing to trade down, recoup assets and settle. We have forward depth and okposo and Kane and played well enough as have bailey and baptiste in the ahl to gamble on not taking BPA but best fit for our needs. Risto and mccabe have some snarl and size but we need that one defensive prospect with that same skill set in the pipeline. Kid has a cannon that hopefully he can learn to harness a bit more and become a pp dman. Too many questions outside the top 3 for me to not just take a position of need in this weak draft.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
So, Patrick and Hischier are almost assured to go 1 and 2 in the draft. Liljegren's stock putting him at the 7 to 10 range as the projected 1st d man to be taken and the next one in the mid teen area.

The question I have, if Buffalo slots in the 3 or 4 over all draft spot, would you offer it in a trade for an 18 - 24 year old d man? If so, who?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So, Patrick and Hischier are almost assured to go 1 and 2 in the draft. Liljegren's stock putting him at the 7 to 10 range as the projected 1st d man to be taken and the next one in the mid teen area.

The question I have, if Buffalo slots in the 3 or 4 over all draft spot, would you offer it in a trade for an 18 - 24 year old d man? If so, who?

Liljegren won't slip that far.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That is Colorado. My question was on us.

With the expansion draft it's a dumb question. Minnesota and Anaheim are the only teams with dmen to spare and neither are trading one at the trade just to lose another in expansion. If we pick that high we take lil...or whatever forward Murray's deems best BPA available. I highly doubt there's a trade to be made for a defenseman worthy of that pick given the impending expansion draft.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
With the expansion draft it's a dumb question. Minnesota and Anaheim are the only teams with dmen to spare and neither are trading one at the trade just to lose another in expansion. If we pick that high we take lil...or whatever forward Murray's deems best BPA available. I highly doubt there's a trader to be made for a defenseman worthy of that pick given the impending expansion draft.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. But I'll rack you up in the no column, since that's really all you had to say.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
There is no such thing as a dumb question. But I'll rack you up in the no column, since that's really all you had to say.

I didn't mean to say dumb question as to offend you pardon my being locked up in my dvr'ed shows and half pondering my wording. I just don't think a trade will present its self that's better than taking lil ourselves or trading down and grabbing a guy like foote. That's assuming we bypass the BPA available route however and discount forwards which murray won't so it's a whole new question then...

Lumpjaw

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
I watched Liljegren while he was loaned to my local club Timrå in Hockeyallsvenskan. He got the tools with the puck, but it was med clear why he has not been that great in SHL. His defensive game needs lot of work. Looked like he did not want to make the easy plays in his own zone.

That said, the guy is only 17, so there is great room for improvement.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I want foote badly and I'm willing to trade down, recoup assets and settle. We have forward depth and okposo and Kane and played well enough as have bailey and baptiste in the ahl to gamble on not taking BPA but best fit for our needs. Risto and mccabe have some snarl and size but we need that one defensive prospect with that same skill set in the pipeline. Kid has a cannon that hopefully he can learn to harness a bit more and become a pp dman. Too many questions outside the top 3 for me to not just take a position of need in this weak draft.

I'm hoping for a 2013-esque reset on defense. If GMTM can get 1sts at the TDL for Kane and Kulikov, he might be able to draft two defenders in the 1st round.

I'd love to see Liljegren with Buffalo's own 1st, then a trade up to get Foote from one of the other 1sts. I'd even go right back to defense with the other 1st or Buffalo's own 2nd. Salo, Brannstrom, etc.

Follow that up with signing Alzner or Kulikov in free agency. GMTM could simultaneously reload at the NHL level and reset organizational depth.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Valimaki is my guy.

Finnish LHD, big, and can move the puck.

Should be available around where we pick.

We gotta nab this kid.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
We need D in the pipeline for sure, but we could really use another good goalie prospect. Oettinger with the 2nd would be amazing (I may be a tad biased...).

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Teams are forechecking with 2 men in deep and getting away with it as our D lacks the quick first step or two to get to the puck and still make a play. If there is a Dman who can do this torus then I want him. If not we take BPA and trade....

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
6-10

Possibly Liljegren. Makar, Heiskanen, Foote, will all be in play in that range.

None of which bring immediate help to the massively baron landscape of the current defensive corp. If we land in 6 to 10 range I fully expect Murray to move the pick for immediate help.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
None of which bring immediate help to the massively baron landscape of the current defensive corp. If we land in 6 to 10 range I fully expect Murray to move the pick for immediate help.

And how has the immediate help done with defense. Gorges, Bogosian, Franson. All have been barely average to inadequate. Drafting Foote or Liljegren and developing defensemen is the way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad