Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It’s shitty since the club did everything right, in their eyes, except gifting him a top 6 role.

They kept close ties with him, watching his development closely, and were excited with what he could become for them. Including being a team leader in the future.

Now, most players would want to compete for a roster spot, to know they’ve earned their position, and being on an ELC would be advantageous for the Jets. Both parties would like him in the NHL so there should be alignment between player and team.

Something doesn’t seem to be lining up.
Talking about the guy like he will be captain of the team someday seemed like he was going to get a shot to play haha

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
This is a very disturbing situation!. We can't get good free agency picks because no one wants to come to Winnipeg. We can't get great trade picks for the same reason and now we can't sign our draft picks because we won't bring them up to the NHL or give them a chance to show their abilities. After the way that we have used Heinola, I am not surprised that we are starting to become an unwanted destination for top draft picks. I have been worried since the spring that this would happen with McGroarty. How does Chevy get away with this stuff for 13 years. No wonder fans are not buying tickets!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets invest a ton in scouting, nab terrific prospects with great personality and character, and then let their old-school coaches sandbag the prospects so they can play Appleton and Jonsson-Fjallby, Iafallo, etc.

Chevy, give your head a shake. Chipman, step in if you must.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Jets invest a ton in scouting, nab terrific prospects with great personality and character, and then let their old-school coaches sandbag the prospects so they can play Appleton and Jonsson-Fjallby, Iafallo, etc.

Just browsing through some other teams forums and Reddit and it seems the sentiment of a lot of fans around the league is the Jets haven’t been doing a great job of integrating prospects lately (many cite the Perfetti saga last season), so it appears it’s not just a “narrative,” if you will, from HFJets.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It's unfortunate his attitude has changed so much. However our pool is short of centers and defenceman. McGroarity can be used to get one. Overall that is a net benefit to us.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
According to sources, McGroarty believes he’s unlikely to crack Winnipeg’s roster immediately and would probably have to spend time in the American Hockey League honing his craft, maybe even a full season. And the Jets have conveyed as much to him given their current roster, which includes plenty of forward talent with the big club and on the farm.

That’s seemingly a tough pill to swallow for McGroarty, who has seen many college teammates and opponents turn pro and immediately get NHL looks — including his two linemates last season with Michigan in Gavin Brindley (Columbus Blue Jackets) and Frank Nazar (Chicago Blackhawks).

“Winnipeg really needs to re-visit its development plan,” a source said.

If that is the case, maybe Cheveldayoff needs to assess whether losing him is worse than promising him a role. This team is re-tooling and won't likely have Monahan, Taffoli, and maybe Ehlers which opens up opportunity for McGroarty

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Just browsing through some other teams forums and Reddit and it seems the sentiment of a lot of fans around the league is the Jets haven’t been doing a great job of integrating prospects lately (many cite the Perfetti saga last season), so it appears it’s not just a “narrative,” if you will, from HFJets.
Perfetan played himself off the roster, not coaches or management!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This organization is now in the post draft and developed era. We are in the win now, sell tickets today, sell some of tomorrow, to go for it today phase.
You have to look at where the group is at...Only Scheif and Lowry have been here for every playoff run...Scheif has been to the playoffs 6 times in 10 seasons here. Lowry 6 in 9 seasons...Morrissey is 5 in 7. Same with Hellebuyck. KC 5 in 6 full seasons. Ehlers was also 5 in 7.

Secondary guys like Pionk have been to the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons. Appleton every year that he started in the organization.

So in a 16 team conference, which is a 50% chance each year to make the playoffs (slightly greater in 2021) these guys have figured out the grind to get to the only route to hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. Are they underperforners, by and large yes. But there's a lot of good players who haven't got that much playoff experience around the league...

It's a question of time as to when teams who have drafted earlier and more often than the Jets in the last few years begin pushing from the bottom back to the top

I think the Jets put away the d & d model under Bowness, and if they hadn't they wouldn't have successfully retained Scheif and Helle...I think as a group they believed in themselves this season, and Chevy knew full well he wouldn't have many better chances than that group going forward so he went for vets for a good run.
Now it's going to look different, but you hope all these players who have been through the development process can step up. There's some holes to fill...Not sure Mc Groarty's trajectory was to be a top 6 centre. Seems like he is somewhere between Connor and Roslovic as a pick.
For next season, with Lowry and Connor heading into the final two seasons of long term extensions the expectation is earn a job...ir will be interesting to see how the organization/
Arniel treats prospects like Lambert, Chibrikov, Barlow, even Parker Ford

For me I see Mc Groarty as the kind of trade chip that can land a borderline top 6 centre, so the Jets can stop trading draft picks for that positional hole.

The rebuild/ youtth movement is likely coming after this season. Maybe 2 tops. And then the development process has more draft capital to work with

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I liked the Rutger pick. But the guy hasn't played an NHL game and maybe never will. Youthful entitlement abounds. Not a blemish on the Jets.

Would have liked to see him play here but all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to move on. Take what you can get Chevy.

1719122820559.png

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I liked the Rutger pick. But the guy hasn't played an NHL game and maybe never will. Youthful entitlement abounds. Not a blemish on the Jets.

Would have liked to see him play here but all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to move on. Take what you can get Chevy.

View attachment 885875

Why not tell him that if he continues his development he is guaranteed a roster spot? The guy had a fabulous season and has A+ leadership skills. If the rest of his game improves, why not give him a roster spot? We are goin to lose Monahan/Taffoli/DeMelo/Dillon/Brossoit in a worse case scenario. That is 2 top 6 spots, Ehlers is going to be a UFA after the season. I would rather the Jets deal Ehlers for capital and keep McGroarty and sign him!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

The way I read one of the reporter's tweets was that he wanted a guaranteed spot LAST season.

If that were the case, where in the lineup would you have put him coming out of camp?

You maybe could have found a spot for a questionably-ready 19 year old on the 4th line, but would that have been best for either his development or the team's success?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I think we’ve more then reached the point across the league where youth can jump in and make an impact in the lineup and for a cheaper price.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It’s shitty since the club did everything right, in their eyes, except gifting him a top 6 role.

They kept close ties with him, watching his development closely, and were excited with what he could become for them. Including being a team leader in the future.

Now, most players would want to compete for a roster spot, to know they’ve earned their position, and being on an ELC would be advantageous for the Jets. Both parties would like him in the NHL so there should be alignment between player and team.

Something doesn’t seem to be lining up.

I think there are three distinct and different factions.

#1 Player and agent

#2 There is the organization and GM and how they feel about Rutger

#3 Then there is the Head coach (and his assistants)

I think we might be surprised how often it’s really #3 that calls the shots. That is where #1 group is correct to need assurances from #2 and #3. There have been times in the past I think Chevy is higher on a prospect than coaches are. It’s not often but it does happen.

I get it, coaches have micro shelf lives and they are hard wired to win tonight or get fired.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't understand the problem with having draft picks come to camp and earn a spot with good play. If Chevy agrees and says yes Rutger i guarantee you a spot with the Jets without even see you play 1 pre-season game won't that set a precedent for all other draft picks. I know you want a little youth in your lineup but what's wrong with earning a spot instead of oh here you go you are now in our top 6 because you demand it? I have high hopes for Rutger but this isn't a top 5 overall pick we are talking about either.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't understand the problem with having draft picks come to camp and earn a spot with good play. If Chevy agrees and says yes Rutger i guarantee you a spot with the Jets without even see you play 1 pre-season game won't that set a precedent for all other draft picks. I know you want a little youth in your lineup but what's wrong with earning a spot instead of oh here you go you are now in our top 6 because you demand it? I have high hopes for Rutger but this isn't a top 5 overall pick we are talking about either.
The fact that if an offense-first forward prospect doesn't get that top 6 spot offered to him, he'll be a fourth liner at best. That's how it goes here. And with our track record of treating prospects like shit and Rutger having enough leverage to demand something better, the option of demanding becomes attractive.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Hate to say it but I actually kind of get it from Rutger's perspective. Just look at Perfetti, he will get bridged which kicks the can down the road on a real pay out. If he can navigate himself to a rebuilding team and get a top 6 role he should be able to cash in. At least that is how I would think if I repped him. We cannot like it but since the NCAA route in hockey is the only loophole in North American sports for players to get out of who they are drafted by you have to deal with the consequences of that decision to draft him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He would have to relinquish NCAA eligibility in order to participate in camp.

NCAA players drafted in the 1st don't want to spend any time in the AHL. In their minds it's NHL or NCAA. For that to work, they need assurances from the big club that they have a spot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You have to look at where the group is at...Only Scheif and Lowry have been here for every playoff run...Scheif has been to the playoffs 6 times in 10 seasons here. Lowry 6 in 9 seasons...Morrissey is 5 in 7. Same with Hellebuyck. KC 5 in 6 full seasons. Ehlers was also 5 in 7.

Secondary guys like Pionk have been to the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons. Appleton every year that he started in the organization.

So in a 16 team conference, which is a 50% chance each year to make the playoffs (slightly greater in 2021) these guys have figured out the grind to get to the only route to hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. Are they underperforners, by and large yes. But there's a lot of good players who haven't got that much playoff experience around the league...

It's a question of time as to when teams who have drafted earlier and more often than the Jets in the last few years begin pushing from the bottom back to the top

I think the Jets put away the d & d model under Bowness, and if they hadn't they wouldn't have successfully retained Scheif and Helle...I think as a group they believed in themselves this season, and Chevy knew full well he wouldn't have many better chances than that group going forward so he went for vets for a good run.
Now it's going to look different, but you hope all these players who have been through the development process can step up. There's some holes to fill...Not sure Mc Groarty's trajectory was to be a top 6 centre. Seems like he is somewhere between Connor and Roslovic as a pick.
For next season, with Lowry and Connor heading into the final two seasons of long term extensions the expectation is earn a job...ir will be interesting to see how the organization/
Arniel treats prospects like Lambert, Chibrikov, Barlow, even Parker Ford

For me I see Mc Groarty as the kind of trade chip that can land a borderline top 6 centre, so the Jets can stop trading draft picks for that positional hole.

The rebuild/ youtth movement is likely coming after this season. Maybe 2 tops. And then the development process has more draft capital to work with

Nicely stated. TLDR alert incoming:

I think you have captured how the owner and GM feel about their body of work and their priority. “Get to the playoffs and anything can happen”. Their slogan is “We’re in it to win”

The challenge and I am sure major frustration for Mark C is despite what you have accurately captured about their consistency to make the playoffs the demand has fallen precipitously? When demand is down the owner is even more desperate to win now.

The demand challenge past poor customer service, novelty wearing off, tougher economic environment, might we also look at “hope”? Despite the Jets being B+ A- at reaching the playoffs consistently they are definitely an “F” as a playoff team. Outside of one run they have been worse than bad, they have been embarrassing always losing four strait games to end their playoffs.

The core we have built around is clearly good enough to make the playoffs most years but they are also clearly not a cup contender. My hopes were higher this season when they finished in fourth but I guess they overachieved in the regular season because once again they were pretty much the worst team in the playoffs with the Capitals (who shouldn’t have been their)

I think its hard to fool the fans when they see basically the Minnesota Wild level team (good enough to make the playoffs but not going to win a round)

Back to McGroarty as an asset to keep this on topic. The last thing we need is another forward so on the one hand he was somewhat redundant positionally. On the other hand what was enticing is that he is a SKILLED power forward that plays an in your face game. We have zero of those in our portfolio, in fact we have the opposite. He seems to be a built for the playoffs type and that is exactly what this team needs over the next 3 seasons. Not saying he is there yet by any means, but I'm not saying he couldn’t have been valuable this season. That is obviously water under the bridge.

The upside is we are getting this out of the way now and not f***ing around for another season which would be the Jets way. I feel he is a very valuable asset to teams especially if they are watching how Florida’s top forwards play the game.

This is where I stand on the trade. I want to trade our top future asset for a very young asset in return. I would also be fine with a top 10 draft pick, or A prospect ready to go now. I would prefer a 1 for 1 swap and man would it be nice to get a centre prospect coming back.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Chipman probably has.

Reactions: Cypruss and ps241

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Perfetan played himself off the roster, not coaches or management!
Then a lot of other players did as well.
Seems like this team slow cooks the prospects, bring in vets/waiver fodder instead of integrating the draft picks.
We keep hearing on these boards player X isn’t ready, how the hell do we know, they don’t seem to get an opportunity.
This team is frustrating, we need a different approach or GM.
Same old, same old.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
This is just embarrassing for the franchise. Losing top prospects cause we have been poor at developing players when we are supposed to be draft and develop.

Really bad.
Bad at developing players......... He hasn't even played a game for us. This has nothing to do with Heinola, Perfetti, etc.... He is trying to leverage his position and we have to respond. Your statement is completely off in the weeds

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The fact that if an offense-first forward prospect doesn't get that top 6 spot offered to him, he'll be a fourth liner at best. That's how it goes here. And with our track record of treating prospects like shit and Rutger having enough leverage to demand something better, the option of demanding becomes attractive.
What prospects have we treated like shit ? If you are going to say Perfetti and Heinola i disagree. Perfetti started the year in our top 6 and went into a slump and got sat for a few games. Do i agree with how long he sat? No. But that was Bowness's decision and he is now gone. Heinola was going to start the year but got injured, should he have gotten a call back up when he got healthy? Probably but we unfortunately had a healthy defense most of the season and lets not forget we were challenging for 1st overall in the NHL most of the season so tough to change things up when you are winning.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Yeah we never should've picked that 2 time Vezina winner who committed likely his entire NHL career here.
You're talking about a 5th round pick. That's not a big risk. The issue is with the pattern of drafting them in the 1st round.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What prospects have we treated like shit ? If you are going to say Perfetti and Heinola i disagree. Perfetti started the year in our top 6 and went into a slump and got sat for a few games. Do i agree with how long he sat? No. But that was Bowness's decision and he is now gone. Heinola was going to start the year but got injured, should he have gotten a call back up when he got healthy? Probably but we unfortunately had a healthy defense most of the season and lets not forget we were challenging for 1st overall in the NHL most of the season so tough to change things up when you are winning.
With Perfetti, the bad treatment is obviously related to getting benched over several worse players. He was given a very fair roster spot to begin with, just like I presumed that McGroarty would be given one as well.

But if you don't see it with Heinola, I don't know what to tell you, and you'll also never going to understand McGroarty's side in this. Given the trash we're deployed over the years, Heinola has deserved a spot with the Jets since 2019. McGroarty's agent likely knows this and doesn't want that piece of history to repeat itself with his client.

And this isn't even considering all the prospects who we have spent precious draft capital on with, quite frankly, f*** all to show for it. I think we've discussed that one enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad