2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/surprising-choice-stay-high-school-pays-off-mittelstadt/

SURPRISING CHOICE TO STAY IN HIGH SCHOOL PAYS OFF FOR MITTELSTADT

It doesn’t happen often, but once in a while a player will make a decision that bucks the trends. This year it was Minnesota native Casey Mittelstadt who decided he was better off staying in high school than going off in search of greener pastures.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/family-shaped-michael-dipietros-road-nhl-draft/

HOW FAMILY SHAPED MICHAEL DIPIETRO’S ROAD TO THE NHL DRAFT

Michael DiPietro is living a dream playing for his local junior team; tragically, Michael’s mother passed away when he was five years old. After his father remarried, Michael got a new step-brother, Mark, who would inspire him to become a goaltender.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/big-read-top-nhl-draft-prospect-owen-tippett-never-afraid-change/

Big Read: BREAKAWAY

As a kid, Owen Tippett had to uproot his entire life to keep playing the sport he loves. Now, he’s a projected top-10 pick in next week’s NHL Draft.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It seems like the top 8 are above the rest?
Patrick
Hischer
Hieskanen

Makar
Glass
Vilardi
Tippet
Mittelstadt

then
Liljegren
Pettersson
Rasmussen
Necas
I have seen a lot of mock drafts that have Makar and Mittelstadt going to the sabres and Pettersson, Rasmussen and Necas going top 8.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It seems like the top 8 are above the rest?
Patrick
Hischer
Hieskanen

Makar
Glass
Vilardi
Tippet
Mittelstadt

then
Liljegren
Pettersson
Rasmussen
Necas
I have seen a lot of mock drafts that have Makar and Mittelstadt going to the sabres and Pettersson, Rasmussen and Necas going top 8.

Seems like there is good possibility Pettersson may break the top 7 over Tippet and Mittelstadt.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Seems like there is good possibility Pettersson may break the top 7 over Tippet and Mittelstadt.

I would be happy if Mittelstadt dropped to us. He is a talent we don't have on the roster or prospect pool

I think one of Mittelstadt or Makar will be there at 8.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Hey guys, just wondering if you know when the draft starts on Friday/Saturday?

I think in the past the draft has started at 7:00pm, but I saw the Sportsnet TV schedule saying coverage starts at 6:30pm. Does anybody know if the picks will still start around 7:05pm?

And then as for Saturday, does anybody remember what time the 2nd round on NHL Network starts? I seem to think it was 11:00am or 12:00 noon, but I can't remember.

Just trying to plan out my weekend plans with my buddies!

Cheers,

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

I think in the past the draft has started at 7:00pm, but I saw the Sportsnet TV schedule saying coverage starts at 6:30pm. Does anybody know if the picks will still start around 7:05pm?

And then as for Saturday, does anybody remember what time the 2nd round on NHL Network starts? I seem to think it was 11:00am or 12:00 noon, but I can't remember.

Cheers,

Official coverage will probably begin at 7, the first pick probably around 7:10-7:15 after all the buildup and Bettman's speech.

As for Saturday, 2nd round always starts at 10 eastern.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Cheers,

https://www.nhl.com/nhl-draft

First pick will probably be a bit after 7pm. Day two starts at 10am.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987

Bobby Mc's rankings:

1 - Nico Hischier
2 - Nolan Patrick
3 - Miro Heiskanen
4 - Cale Makar
5 - Gabe Vilardi
6 - Casey Mittelstadt
7 - Elias Pettersson
8 - Cody Glass
9 - Michael Rasmussen
10 - Owen Tippett

The rest of the first round D:

14 - Juuso Valimaki
16 - Timothy Liljegren
20 - Cal Foote
22 - Urho Vaakanainen
25 - Nicholas Hague
28 - Conor Timmins
29 - Erik Brannstrom

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.tsn.ca/hischier-rides-meteoric-rise-to-top-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.783025

By the draft lottery edition rankings in late April, it was virtual dead heat *– five votes for Patrick and five votes for Hischier. In fact, to break the tie, TSN had to survey 23 scouts, with Patrick ultimately getting the nod, 12-11.

In TSN's final ranking, though, the arrival of an interloper – the flashy Junior A offensive defenceman Makar – contributed to Hischier being alone at the top.

---------------------------

The irony of Makar getting a No. 1 vote is that he's not even the consensus top-ranked defenceman. That status belongs to Finnish blueliner Miro Heiskanen, who is No. 3 on TSN's final list.

Heiskanen is a 6-foot-2, 172-pound all-around defender who rocketed up the charts this season, especially after dominating at the World U-18 Championship in April. Heiskanen plays a high-level, two-way game similar to Hall of Famer Nick Lidstrom. No one is suggesting Heiskanen is the "next Nick Lidstrom," only that Heiskanen has the ability to contribute significantly to the offence but also play a stellar, positionally sound and cerebral defensive game.

Heiskanen, at No. 3, and Makar, at No. 4 on TSN's final rankings, also represent another trend in this year's draft – a never-before-seen degree of volatility in rankings over the course of the season. That is, there was a much wider range of upward and downward mobility from the midseason rankings to the final.

To wit:

- Heiskanen was No. 13 at mid-term but vaulted all the way to No. 3 on the final list.
Six of 10 scouts surveyed had Heiskanen at No. 3 and two more had him at No. 4. The remaining two scouts had him at Nos. 7 and 9.

- Makar was No. 12 at mid-term and jumped eight spots to No. 4.
Seven of the 10 scouts surveyed had Makar as a top 5 pick, including the one who had him first overall. Makar was no lower than No. 7 on any scout’s list.

--------------------------------
Of course, that worked in reverse too. Three Top 10 prospects at midseason fell significantly.

Swedish defenceman Timothy Liljegren went from No. 3 to 16; Finnish sniper Eeli Tolvanen, who plays in the United State Hockey League, went from No. 9 to 17; and Russian forward Klim Kostin, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery in January, went from No. 10 to 18.

Makar, a 5-foot-11, 187-pound blueliner, is quite likely the most intriguing prospect. He was rated a B or second/third-round prospect entering the season, but rose to prominence in December at the World Junior A Challenge in Bonnyville, Alta.

Makar's dynamic offensive game immediately wowed NHL scouts and it was from that moment forward he became a person of interest.

The highest-chosen Canadian Junior A prospect drafted into the NHL is centre Kyle Turris, who went third overall from the Burnaby Express to the Phoenix Coyotes in 2007.
Any concerns Makar's game is one-dimensional – all offence – or that he's a sub 6-foot defenceman who isn't a physical specimen in terms of strength and power or that he's coming from a lower competitive level of hockey, are counter-balanced by dynamic skating and high-end offensive skill that leads many to believe he could have the highest ceiling of any prospect in the draft.

More than one scout has compared Makar's style of game as Erik Karlsson-like. Again, no one is saying Makar is the "next Erik Karlsson," but he plays a thrilling game that, if developed, could allow him to be elite.

"Makar could be the best player in this draft," one scout said. "It would be bold to take him at No. 1, ahead of Patrick or Hischier, but he really could be the home run in this draft."

So, at the very least, we'll call him this draft's MIP (Most Intriguing Prospect).

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Bobby doesn't put any other defenseman anywhere in the 5-13 range. His lists are always really good. Are Valimaki or Lijegren worth the 'reach'?

e: He didn't mention Valimaki, but said Lijegren could be a 'diamond in the rough' given he skates the puck well and has a great shot. Said scouts doubted his hockey IQ upon zone entry after giving him the benefit of the doubt about his illness and lack of minutes.

Makar will definitely be gone before 8. Heiskanen too.

Last edited:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Bobby doesn't put any other defenseman anywhere in the 5-13 range. His lists are always really good. Are Valimaki or Lijegren worth the 'reach'?

e: He didn't mention Valimaki, but said Lijegren could be a 'diamond in the rough' given he skates the puck well and has a great shot. Said scouts doubted his hockey IQ upon zone entry after giving him the benefit of the doubt about his illness and lack of minutes.

Makar will definitely be gone before 8. Heiskanen too.

There's a chance Heiskanen makes it to 8 imo. Agree on Makar tho.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Trade up for Makar...
Offer 8th, 37th, Kane for 3rd overall... or 4th... or 5th

3rd and 5th are your best bets there. I don't think Colorado bites.

3rd's probably best; I see no fear in philly going makar, and very unlikely New Jersey does. Everyone else between 3-8 could.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Trade up for Makar...

I like Makar as a prospect too but he's no sure thing by any means. That package is way too much to spend taking a massive home run swing that might turn out to be a strikeout.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Trade up for Makar...

I love Makar, but I think you are crazy unless you think he's a slam dunk top 15 D in the NHL lol

Why not just take a forward like Glass at 8 then use Kane and 37 to get Valimaki or Liljegren?

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like Makar as a prospect too but he's no sure thing by any means. That package is way too much to spend taking a massive home run swing that might turn out to be a strikeout.

He's not a sure thing... but home run opportunities are rare, if one presents itself... take the swing.

Franchise changing talent is rare... Makar has that rare potential.

Mittelstad... Glass.... Valimaki... lots of good solid prospects, who have a good shot to be good to very good NHLers...

Makar's ceiling is off the charts. Rare are the opportunities to get a player with such potential.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I love Makar, but I think you are crazy lol

Why not just take a forward like Glass at 8 then use Kane and 37 to get Valimaki or Liljegren?

Because Makar is the best player in the draft.

Because getting Bo Horvat and Jacob Trouba would be great... but getting Erik Karlsson would be franchise altering.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Because Makar is the best player in the draft.

Because getting Bo Horvat and Jacob Trouba would be great... but getting Erik Karlsson would be franchise altering.

I guess Botts&Co would have to be as equally sure of Makar as you are in order to think about making a deal like that. I'd be a whole lot more comfortable if we could somehow get a second 1st round pick from someone before trading away 8 and taking a home-run swing at 3.

If Makar turns into Karlsson, everyone is a genius and the franchise thrives. If he turns into nothing or not much, then we scrapped two of our best trade pieces on the latest Sabres 1st round fiasco. Which would be just as franchise-changing, just in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad