2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Would you guys be happy if Glass fell to us at 8? I would be ecstatic.

my dream board at 8
1. Glass
2. Liljegren
3. Makar
4. Pettersson
5. Mittelstadt

I can see scenarios where both Glass and Makar are available at #8. It's a long shot to have a chance at both of them, but it's possible.

I think Petersson and Rasmussen could both sneak into the top 7, which would be amazing for us.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I can see scenarios where both Glass and Makar are available at #8. It's a long shot to have a chance at both of them, but it's possible.

I think Petersson and Rasmussen could both sneak into the top 7, which would be amazing for us.
Don't want Rasmussen. Leave him for Boston for all I care haha!

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't even know if Patrick is ready given all the time he missed this year.

I think so. Should be healed with time train for opening night. Already has the size both height and weight to be effective. I see him as coming out a slightly better physical specimen than Samson in his first full season. Learns a lot. Points depend on who drafts him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-kyle-okposo-looking-great-will-ready-training-camp/

"Botterill said he’s open to anything with the Sabres’ first pick, the eighth overall selection, at next Friday’s NHL Draft in Chicago.

“You always have to be open to it,†he said. “My mindset, especially with the high pick, is always taking the best guy available. … Drafting for position in hockey is so difficult. Maybe it goes on a little bit more in other sports such as football. These players are coming two, four years down the road.

“But we’ve tried to have discussions with some teams about moving up, moving back. I think because there’s no set one or two players at the top of the draft you have to be prepared for all outcomes.â€"

Can't wait for the posts if we stay at 8 and a forward is the BPA

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-kyle-okposo-looking-great-will-ready-training-camp/

"Botterill said he�s open to anything with the Sabres� first pick, the eighth overall selection, at next Friday�s NHL Draft in Chicago.

�You always have to be open to it,� he said. �My mindset, especially with the high pick, is always taking the best guy available. � Drafting for position in hockey is so difficult. Maybe it goes on a little bit more in other sports such as football. These players are coming two, four years down the road.

�But we�ve tried to have discussions with some teams about moving up, moving back. I think because there�s no set one or two players at the top of the draft you have to be prepared for all outcomes.�"

Imagine the carnage if it's Mittelstadt. :laugh: The home workout warriors will be storming the draft floor to express their rage and displeasure. :biglaugh:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

"Botterill said he’s open to anything with the Sabres’ first pick, the eighth overall selection, at next Friday’s NHL Draft in Chicago.

“You always have to be open to it,” he said. “My mindset, especially with the high pick, is always taking the best guy available. … Drafting for position in hockey is so difficult. Maybe it goes on a little bit more in other sports such as football. These players are coming two, four years down the road.

“But we’ve tried to have discussions with some teams about moving up, moving back. I think because there’s no set one or two players at the top of the draft you have to be prepared for all outcomes.”"

no reason to wait

bad drafting is bad drafting

edit: i should be fair, drafting the right player is not bad drafting, but it would be a nice edge to have a gm that realizes the value of defensemen not just to your roster in 2-4 years, but as assets on the trade market

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
We should probably start talking about Elias Pettersson since he is ranked just before us and fills a need of the left side should we go forward.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It seems Pettersson and Tippett are the only ones with some chance to break into the top 7 and I personally doubt anyone gambles to take Tippett there. Maybe Pettersson gets taken by Vegas or Vancouver but that's about it. Realistic choice for us at 8 is between:

Tippett, Owen
Nečas, Martin
Pettersson, Elias
Liljegren, Timothy
Suzuki, Nicholas
Rasmussen, Michael
Tolvanen, Eeli
Välimäki, Juuso

Of those I'd happily accept Necas or Pettersson. Very hesitant on Liljegren and Tippett based on what I've read on them. And would also be very happy if we can drop down to 10-12 and get Valimaki there by adding some extra second rounder for that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit#gid=0

Botts said he's had talks with teams about both going up and down and I am quite happy with that as top 7 seem quite clear cut and it should enable us to get Makar or Heiskanen if we go up to 5-6. And dropping down to 11-12 range would pretty much guarantee us getting Valimaki and extra asset (or Lilejegren if by some miracle someone else gets Valimaki in top 10 which is extremely unlikely it seems).

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It seems Pettersson and Tippett are the only ones with some chance to break into the top 7 and I personally doubt anyone gambles to take Tippett there. Maybe Pettersson gets taken by Vegas or Vancouver but that's about it. Realistic choice for us at 8 is between:

Tippett, Owen
Nečas, Martin
Pettersson, Elias
Liljegren, Timothy
Suzuki, Nicholas
Rasmussen, Michael
Tolvanen, Eeli
Välimäki, Juuso

Of those I'd happily accept Necas or Pettersson. Very hesitant on Liljegren and Tippett based on what I've read on them. And would also be very happy if we can drop down to 10-12 and get Valimaki there by adding some extra second rounder for that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit#gid=0

Botts said he's had talks with teams about both going up and down and I am quite happy with that as top 7 seem quite clear cut and it should enable us to get Makar or Heiskanen if we go up to 5-6. And dropping down to 11-12 range would pretty much guarantee us getting Valimaki and extra asset (or Lilejegren if by some miracle someone else gets Valimaki in top 10 which is extremely unlikely it seems).

Anyone who loves Tippett, is playing with a potential major bust candidate. At best he's Kessel which is a potential steal of the draft, but I just don't see enough in his game from tape. He reminds me of Kassian from junior. Who looked like a top line winger, but is a fourth liner.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

“You always have to be open to it,” he said. “My mindset, especially with the high pick, is always taking the best guy available. … Drafting for position in hockey is so difficult. Maybe it goes on a little bit more in other sports such as football. These players are coming two, four years down the road.

“But we’ve tried to have discussions with some teams about moving up, moving back. I think because there’s no set one or two players at the top of the draft you have to be prepared for all outcomes.”"

If that's the case, so be it. My philosophy is BPA also.

It just means then that the org has to make other moves to address defense. Either through trades or free agent signings. Failing to draft defense becomes a problem when you don't compensate by bolstering the defense through other avenues.

Drafting a lot of great forwards is fine, as long as you're willing to move some of those prospects to address your needs or other weaknesses in your pipeline.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-interest-411-casey-mittelstadt/

It will be interesting to see what happens if 2 D go off the board in teh top 7 and Mittlestadt is still on the board.

I think it's between 1 of Glass, Pettersson and Mittelstadt to be left outside of top 7. It may well end up being Mittelstadt if teams are afraid of attitude/physical issues from the combine (and generally longer term before he can hit the NHL). I wouldn't cry about any of the 3 if we get them but is not my ideal scenario tbh. Rather move up or down for a 2nd and get a much needed D impact prospect at the cost/with the benefit of extra 2nd rounder.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
Only issue Im seeing is that there seems to be a premium you have to pay to return a defenseman. Going back to Taylor Hall for Larson last year. Now we see a more proven Drouin and a higher pick I may add, for an unproven Serg (drafted #9), and who our previous GM had graded below A. Nylander. The way the market is showing for D. if the 2 players are even close Im going defense, hence why I wanted Serg last year over Nylander. I feel the same way this year.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If that's the case, so be it. My philosophy is BPA also.

It just means then that the org has to make other moves to address defense. Either through trades or free agent signings. Failing to draft defense becomes a problem when you don't compensate by bolstering the defense through other avenues.

Drafting a lot of great forwards is fine, as long as you're willing to move some of those prospects to address your needs or other weaknesses in your pipeline.

You know where you can get value in trades?

Trading defense prospects.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Seeing how valueable D are right now would it really surprise anyone if Makar/Heiskanen go top 5 and Liljegren/Valimaki go top 10? I am almost thinking that's likely scenario at this point. A team like Tampa Bay would probably love to move up and take on of those 4 guys.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Anyone who loves Tippett, is playing with a potential major bust candidate. At best he's Kessel which is a potential steal of the draft, but I just don't see enough in his game from tape. He reminds me of Kassian from junior. Who looked like a top line winger, but is a fourth liner.

LOL. Kassian never scored even 30 goals in junior. Tippett scored 44 at the age of 17!!! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15390

Kassian never looked like an elite talent. Tippett does. (which is not to say that he doesn't have deficiencies)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We should probably start talking about Elias Pettersson since he is ranked just before us and fills a need of the left side should we go forward.

We need to sign Cal Petersen and Judd Peterson and draft Elias Pettersson, and play them all in some preseason game as a favor to Razor and Jeannerette.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I like Tippet or Liljgren at 8. I know the hockey IQ argument but if either one pans out than we hit the jackpot. Sometimes a chance is needed I mean we are taking one on a coach who has never been head coach on a professional level and it bothers no one so why should these picks?

or am I right in assuming the double standards on this board are ridiculous?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I like Tippet or Liljgren at 8. I know the hockey IQ argument but if either one pans out than we hit the jackpot. Sometimes a chance is needed I mean we are taking one on a coach who has never been head coach on a professional level and it bothers no one so why should these picks?

or am I right in assuming the double standards on this board are ridiculous?

I think it's less a double standard and more of a completely inapt comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad