Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't really understand this sentiment. We had a team that should have won it all and the players choked.

It's on them, not Murray. This narrative is getting out of control.

If you're going to use that perspective only, then BB should still be here and there is no discussion about coaches or GMs. Bob has never been an all in kind of guy. Being a budget team seems to be the acceptable excuse. And certainly in some years (such as last year) it is the right choice. But 2015 was a prime year he needed to do something big. If we get Vermette instead of the Hawks that might well have been the turning point. But we'll never know. The Kesler deal was signed that summer, but Bob obviously knew he was going to roll over. It took 2 weeks from the time they could start negotiating to sign the deal.

It's on a lot of people, but that includes Bob. He gets no free pass.

Reactions: Duck Off

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you're going to use that perspective only, then BB should still be here and there is no discussion about coaches or GMs. Bob has never been an all in kind of guy. Being a budget team seems to be the acceptable excuse. And certainly in some years (such as last year) it is the right choice. But 2015 was a prime year he needed to do something big. If we get Vermette instead of the Hawks that might well have been the turning point. But we'll never know. The Kesler deal was signed that summer, but Bob obviously knew he was going to roll over. It took 2 weeks from the time they could start negotiating to sign the deal.

It's on a lot of people, but that includes Bob. He gets no free pass.
There's quite a difference between 'everyone deserves some blame' and the extreme hyperbole going around this place right now.

Murray put a good enough roster on the ice to win it all, and the players didn't come through.

As for BB, it's his role to put teams in the best position to succeed on the ice, a challenge he couldn't quite overcome when going up against the better coaches in the league.

Carlyle isn't the right guy either, and this is Murray's biggest failure, unless he changes the complexion of the roster quite a bit since he has obviously placed the blame at the feet of the players as well.

The deadline acquisition thing is dumb in my opinion. Name me a player who was acquired by any cup team that really made a huge impact. Ray Bourque? Ok. Vermette? f*** no. He was healthy scratched multiple times in that playoff run.

I would love to live in an alternate universe where Kesler was not re-signed so I could read all of the complaints about murray being cheap and not knowing how to go all in.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There's quite a difference between 'everyone deserves some blame' and the extreme hyperbole going around this place right now.

Murray put a good enough roster on the ice to win it all, and the players didn't come through.

As for BB, it's his role to put teams in the best position to succeed on the ice, a challenge he couldn't quite overcome when going up against the better coaches in the league.

Carlyle isn't the right guy either, and this is Murray's biggest failure, unless he changes the complexion of the roster quite a bit since he has obviously placed the blame at the feet of the players as well.

The deadline acquisition thing is dumb in my opinion. Name me a player who was acquired by any cup team that really made a huge impact. Ray Bourque? Ok. Vermette? **** no. He was healthy scratched multiple times in that playoff run.

I would love to live in an alternate universe where Kesler was not re-signed so I could read all of the complaints about murray being cheap and not knowing how to go all in.

I don't disagree with most of this. And I don't disagree with the Kesler signing. But two weeks into the window is way too soon, IMO, to give that big a contract. It's like he just asked Kesler to fill out the check and then signed it. If he gets forced into it approaching the next trade deadline I might better understand. I realize RFAs and UFAs aren't exactly the same thing, but it's amazing how he is night and day different in handling the two.

Vermette play 20 of the Hawks 23 playoff games and had a huge goal against us. We can debate his value but it doesn't disprove that Bob has never been an all in kind of guy. And somewhere during the Perry and Getzlaf prime years, IMO, he should have been. That's where some of his share of the blame should be pointed, IMO.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
In fairness to BM, Kesler was a great signing until the hip surgery. You cant predict something like that.
It was a necessary move to keep him but think Murray needed to get a some sort of discount on the deal especially if Kesler was getting 6 years AND a NMC.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It's 4 more years and if BM wants a shakeup, then something has to happen that we aren't going to get the full benefit from

This is the cost of signing players over 30 to long term deals and hopefully everyone in the organization has learned from it. Also hopefully the next CBA the owners actually insist on 5 year max contracts. These 6-8 year deals are killing teams
I pinky promise you the Ducks will never trade a player that makes that much for 4 years and retain 50%

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I pinky promise you the Ducks will never trade a player that makes that much for 4 years and retain 50%
I'm not saying they will, but to say it can't be done is silly.

If Murray really wants to shakeup this core, you move out Kesler or Perry and be done with it. You don't continue to roll the same overpaid roster out there year after year against your own will

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I don't really understand this sentiment. We had a team that should have won it all and the players choked.

It's on them, not Murray. This narrative is getting out of control.

Everyone always immediately turns to management or coaching. Agree with you on this that it was the players who just didn't show up.

Reactions: Masch78

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Saw somewhere that the reason Murray didn't make any major moves at the deadline is because he didn't think this squad could make a significant run. So rather than trade away a first rounder and maybe some prospects he held back.

I would have to agree with him that I don't think that this team could have made it far. Lack of forward depth and inexperienced defenseman really hurt us.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Saw somewhere that the reason Murray didn't make any major moves at the deadline is because he didn't think this squad could make a significant run. So rather than trade away a first rounder and maybe some prospects he held back.

I would have to agree with him that I don't think that this team could have made it far. Lack of forward depth and inexperienced defenseman really hurt us.
Speaking for myself, I was always opposed to any deals at the deadline this year. My complaint about it spans his total time here. Some years it would have been nice to see a real attempt at securing something other than a depth vet.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I agree. I wouldve done the same thing even if I would love to see a nice run.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I agree. I wouldve done the same thing even if I would love to see a nice run.

Obviously everyone wants to have a good run but being able to realize that the team isn't deep enough is good. Better to build through the draft than through trades.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Speaking for myself, I was always opposed to any deals at the deadline this year. My complaint about it spans his total time here. Some years it would have been nice to see a real attempt at securing something other than a depth vet.

I didn't think we had a good chance at getting any of the guys who were getting moved. Even then there were only a few who would've fit our system and style of play.

I think Eaves was a nice addition and I think we got the better end of the Henrique trade this season. Seems like Murray isn't a huge fan of making deals at the deadline.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I have heard trade/buyout likely for Kesler.

Trading or buying out Kesler this offseason doesn't make any sense. You're trading him after his worst season ever when he's coming back from a major injury. At least give the guy one more year so he can rehab all offseason and see where he goes from there. Unless someone is taking him back with no retention (lol), then there's no way Kesler should go anywhere this offseason IMO.

IMO, he's put together 1 cup favorite roster. I agree, the players and coach blew it that year. I think people think way too highly of the other rosters he's put together. Yes, we took cup champs to 7 games, but maybe we didn't win the 7th game because of the holes on the roster(s)? Everyone who thinks that we had cup favorite rosters on that those years should go look at our teams and then look at the other favorites. Bruce deserves much more praise than he received for how well those teams performed. Those teams success was more to do with coaching than anything else. People are quick to blame coaching, but until this year, few were putting much blame on Murray. Let me reiterate, Murray is a terrific GM. I just hate the fact that he doesn't accept "very good" from coaches and players, but it's fine when it comes to him.

I don't agree with this at all. If anything, Bruce was one of the best at putting players in their best position to succeed. Cogliano immediately comes to mind. Bruce's issue was he couldn't make adjustments in the playoffs. He looked lost when the other team would make adjustments and seemed to just rely on players to "step up". There's a reason his teams have tremendous success during the regular season. I think that's primarily because he's one of the best at putting them in the best position to succeed.

Carlyle isn't the right guy either, and this is Murray's biggest failure, unless he changes the complexion of the roster quite a bit since he has obviously placed the blame at the feet of the players as well. .

Agreed. It's pretty damn big mistake. Re-hiring Carlyle was completely asinine. Essentially pissed away the few remaining years of the window. Thinking Carlyle is the guy who can make these changes is just as stupid.

The deadline acquisition thing is dumb in my opinion. Name me a player who was acquired by any cup team that really made a huge impact. Ray Bourque? Ok. Vermette? **** no. He was healthy scratched multiple times in that playoff run. .

The Chicago series was incredibly even. Toews said it was by far the most difficult series of his career. Vermette was scratched at times, but I believe he scored the GWG against us in one the games. It's ignorant to say that us having him would have made us win, but I think it's just as ignorant to say that having him wouldn't have changed anything. The reality is we don't know. That series was so close, I think it could have, but who knows.

I agree with you here. Re-signing Kesler was definitely showing we're all in. I don't like the way Murray handled Kesler. He rushed it to have it done. I don't think Kes gets much, if any, more than that in free agency.

I didn't think we had a good chance at getting any of the guys who were getting moved. Even then there were only a few who would've fit our system and style of play.

I think Eaves was a nice addition and I think we got the better end of the Henrique trade this season. Seems like Murray isn't a huge fan of making deals at the deadline.

No GM is a fan of making deals at the deadline. All of them they say they prefer making them in the offseason. Regardless of what Murray says, isn't he the most active/trade GM in the league? Over the years, he's put himself in the position to have to make moves during the season. There's a reason a lot of his comments in September say something along the lines of "I want to see what we have".

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'd say he put three rosters together capable of winning and the best one was the one that lost in round 1. This year's team is a little hard to judge with Fowler being out and Kesler being a bit of a mystery, on paper it's close, but I think it and the 2014 team are just on the outside.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'd say he put three rosters together capable of winning and the best one was the one that lost in round 1. This year's team is a little hard to judge with Fowler being out and Kesler being a bit of a mystery, on paper it's close, but I think it and the 2014 team are just on the outside.
We really need speed. I watched Boston and Tampa yesterday. It was so freaking fast - Perry is really behind the 8ball in todays game, and I really don`t hate him, I appreciate greatly of what he has been for us. But either we change or we become Dallas (bubble team).
Getzy is still great, I believe even he`s not the fastest. I do think Kes was just a shell and he will recover in the next 1-2 years but not to the Selke level he was... actually just 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I don`t think we have as great upcoming talent as Boston now seems to have with their franchise turnaround. But we have to darn hope Steel, Terry and Comtois can infuse this roster with some new NHL style soon.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
All the series left are fast. Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Vegas, Jets, Nashville, with San Jose being the slowest.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
All the series left are fast. Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Vegas, Jets, Nashville, with San Jose being the slowest.

Bruins aren’t that fast. Bergeron is maybe slightly above average, Pastrnak is fastish but he’s not exceptionally quick. Marchand is above average, Krejci is below average, as are Nash and Backes. The Bruins are just flat out good. If you’ve got quality players who are exceptional positionally you don’t need to be a fast team. It’s all about having the right system in place to complement your players.

Reactions: DaGeneral and Kalv

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Nash is pretty fast still, same with DeBrusk

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Bruins aren’t that fast. Bergeron is maybe slightly above average, Pastrnak is fastish but he’s not exceptionally quick. Marchand is above average, Krejci is below average, as are Nash and Backes. The Bruins are just flat out good. If you’ve got quality players who are exceptional positionally you don’t need to be a fast team. It’s all about having the right system in place to complement your players.

It's not just about "fast" players, that's the dumb thinking that Murray used on Hagelin and talentless scrubs like Chimera and Brown. Like you said, Boston's roster itself isn't made up of any speed burners, and Sharks on paper are just as slow as Ducks.

It's about fast execution/decision making, puck movement, and speed away from the puck. That's been one of this team's issues going back to BB. Execution level of this team on a nightly basis is about the level of a co-ed rec league team half ass-ing it through the game, so they can make it to the post game beers at the bar.

Apart from Rakell, none of the forwards can make plays at speed. It's the core issue that resonates through all of the symptoms we've seen in this team for years now. Shitty PP, horrid zone entries, terrible zone exits, etc etc. They are all just symptoms of the same festering disease on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad