Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Funny that the Pens were so weak at wing they converted all of C prospects to W. I wonder if there is any thought within the organization to convert some of them back?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Spencer Foo signs with Flames. When are Pens going to have these guys wanting to come sign with Pens? Seems always Chicago, NYR, Leafs, Oilers snag them all. This time Flames. Still not that desirable? would like a Dman to sign with us. I go to the main forum about new prospects that get hyped, rarely ever seem to have Penguins attatched to them.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
spencer foo signs with flames. When are pens going to have these guys wanting to come sign with pens? Seems always chicago, nyr, leafs, oilers snag them all. This time flames. Still not that desirable? Would like a dman to sign with us. I go to the main forum about new prospects that get hyped, rarely ever seem to have penguins attatched to them.

zar?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Let's get to that point first. If the back-to-back Stanley Cup champs don't have anyone who wants to play for them while their team is loaded and looks ready for a 3-peat, so be it. We can go different routes. See if we can bum some players from Vegas for a couple picks. See if we can reach out for hockey trades. Hags would be my #1 and I don't want to lose him, but if a hockey trade is there - that's who I move, not Sheary.

Let's get to that point first. If FAs don't want a chance at this team, then I'll have fun rolling the ******* over on our way to #6. :yo:

We're in the middle of the FA interview period. JR is gonna know very shortly if he has a shot at anyone.

I highly doubt we're filling our 3C, 4C and D holes in free agency. If we do, great. But I'm not betting on it. As for hockey trades. Who's trading us a legit 3C or D for Hagelin? He's had a few months of good hockey in 2 years and is making 4 mil. He's more of a cap dump to sign someone in free agency than a hockey trade candidate. We're also not exactly deep on LW. We have to move Rust there as is to make room on RW last season. With Sprong next year, the place to trade is on RW. Not moving PH or Kessel unless the return is crazy. That leaves Sheary who might very well be asking for 3+. Id explore his value around the league at the very least.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We're in the middle of the FA interview period. JR is gonna know very shortly if he has a shot at anyone.

I highly doubt we're filling our 3C, 4C and D holes in free agency. If we do, great. But I'm not betting on it. As for hockey trades. Who's trading us a legit 3C or D for Hagelin? He's had a few months of good hockey in 2 years and is making 4 mil. We're also not exactly deep on LW. We have to move Rust there as is to make room on RW last season. With Sprong next year, the place to trade is on RW. Not moving PH or Kessel unless the return is crazy. That leaves Sheary who might very well be asking for 3+. Id explore his value around the league at the very least.

Why do you need it right now? Be patient.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Speaking of Bones, GMJR said this when asked: "he is our priority. We'll talk with his agent and see where he is at. If he is not ready to do something, then we will look elsewhere. There will be other options available to us."

On will he go after a Dmen in free agency?; "well that all depends what happens with Daley.".

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sprong's greatest value could be essentially replacing Kessel for a fraction of the price in a couple years - he's due a new contract next summer and I don't see how he does enough between now and then to earn a big deal. That could open up a lot of cap room for whatever we want to address.

As far as Maatta's medical past affecting his skating - I think that's the writer just trying to give him a little benefit of the doubt from a potential trade partner's perspective after some virtually non-existent off-seasons. I'm confident with Dumo and Cole holding down our top 4 LD spots this year. Things are a little murkier after that, but I don't think Maatta's so essential that we can't part with him to acquire a talent like Duchene.

So yeah...we're at about the same place I think haha. Moving Maatta and some futures for Duchene is workable, Sprong not so much.

I'm a bit more reluctant to trade Maatta in general than you, but yeah, about the same. Its Sprong that makes this a "Nope".

Also my reading was he was offering zero benefit of the doubt on his skating.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We sign college free agents literally every year.

I'm talking about the hyped ones that get lots of talk and interest on this board. Maybe i'm just talking out of my ass but when i see threads about prospects wanting to come over and turns into many pages it rarely has Pens attatched to it it seems like except the Zar one.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm talking about the hyped ones that get lots of talk and interest on this board. Maybe i'm just talking out of my ass but when i see threads about prospects wanting to come over and turns into many pages it rarely has Pens attatched to it it seems like except the Zar one.
And as we all know, hype is really important.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Prow was a Hobey Baker finalist iirc. Maybe not projected to do huge amounts, but still a decent punt. And Bengtsson had a small amount of hype.

I'd like us to do better but... we're not doing bad.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spencer Foo signs with Flames. When are Pens going to have these guys wanting to come sign with Pens? Seems always Chicago, NYR, Leafs, Oilers snag them all. This time Flames. Still not that desirable? would like a Dman to sign with us. I go to the main forum about new prospects that get hyped, rarely ever seem to have Penguins attatched to them.

Sheary? Aston-Reese? Di Pauli? Prow?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Speaking of Bones, GMJR said this when asked: "he is our priority. We'll talk with his agent and see where he is at. If he is not ready to do something, then we will look elsewhere. There will be other options available to us."

On will he go after a Dmen in free agency?; "well that all depends what happens with Daley.".

Bones and Daley to Montreal. Kunitz to the Wild, Cullen retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad