2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Still plenty of time to make a deal. I don't think Blake will stand pat yet I didn't think he would stand pat this past summer and boy oh boy does it look like he stood pat right now. The Kings needed goals, they did not add any goals the Kings still need goals.

They've scored more goals per game this year than any year since 05-06. The 8th most goals per game since 92-93. It's only 15th in the league and 7th in the West this year, but the whole team has been a little cold lately.

Kopitar, 34
Toffoli, 34
Brown, 28
Gaborik, 26
Kempe, 25
Lewis, 21
Pearson, 15

Those are the projected totals with their current numbers in 82 games. That's just pace, doesn't actually mean anything, but those are decent numbers. Other than Pearson, who wouldn't have been thrilled with those numbers? Gaborik isn't scoring 26 goals this year because he, of course, missed time while injured, but if we thought those numbers would be possible in July, where's the need to add more scoring? If we had guessed Carter would miss all but 6 games by 1/18/18, it would've been bottom 5 season over before the year started, and they're not there yet. Then again nobody had Vegas 2nd overall in the league either. Projections and predictions are fun, but you never know what will happen.

1-4-2 at home against the division for some reason (47 points over 82 games)
23-11-3 in the other 37 games played (109 over 82).
19-15-4 without Carter (91 over 82).
18-11-3 without Carter when not at home facing a division team (100 over 82)

They have 12GF in those 7 stupid division home games. In the other 37 games, that gives them 115, for an average of 3.11. Carter has 0 goals this year, so it's still 115 without him, which is 3.03 per game. That has to be enough goals. That would be in the top 10 if not for the stupid 7 games.

It's the pathetic record at home against the division that is killing this team. Which means they damn sure have to beat Pittsburgh tonight.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I know you were. I'm all for having a skilled lineup but you need grit as well. This isn't an all star game.
Exactly my point i have been trying to make with Sol we are known to be a big physical team that is tough to play against If we take out Clifford and Andreoff we become soft as hell. There are team we need both in lineup (ducks and flames come to mind) Now with McDermid down in the ahl (which i am totally in favour of) we need Clifford in the lineup always. Until someone comes up and proves to me there better then Clifford at doing what clifford does (not scoring more) he should remain in the lineup

Reactions: Reaper45

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
vilardi isn't going to come in and slot in to a 2nd line center spot, if he makes the team lets hope he can come in like Iafallo on the wing and gradually grow into a center. he is only winning about 50% of his draws in the ohl, how will that work against men in the NHL? I would love to be wrong, but temper your expectations for him in his first season.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
vilardi isn't going to come in and slot in to a 2nd line center spot, if he makes the team lets hope he can come in like Iafallo on the wing and gradually grow into a center. he is only winning about 50% of his draws in the ohl, how will that work against men in the NHL? I would love to be wrong, but temper your expectations for him in his first season.
Or expect him to be a tirefire at center ala Schenn or Kempe at first until he learns.

Reactions: dman3474

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Deal 1 not enough, deal 2 too much, deal 3 not enough.

Fine...

Clifford and a 2nd for Maroon (Edmonton missing playoffs and Maroon UFA at end of year won’t net them a huge return.)

Forbort, Amadio and a 3rd in 2019 for Tatar and Green(50 % cap)

Pearson, Ladue, 1st in 2019 for Mcdonagh

Take it or leave it ;)

Last edited:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Fine...

Clifford and a 2nd for Maroon

Pearson, Ladue, 2nd in 2019 for Mcdonagh

Take it or leave it ;)
I'm ok with the Maroon deal, doubt Edmonton would be.

I like Tatar and Green but not at that price.

Rangers could do much much better.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Fine...

Clifford and a 2nd for Maroon (Edmonton missing playoffs and Maroon UFA at end of year won’t net them a huge return.)

Pearson, Ladue, 1st in 2019 for Mcdonagh

Take it or leave it ;)

Only deal Kings fans would be okay with is the Clifford deal. The others are a train wreck.

Reactions: go4hockey

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Only deal Kings fans would be okay with is the Clifford deal. The others are a train wreck.
I would do all of them. We end up with a lineup looking like this
Tartar Kopitar brown
gaborik carter toffoli
maroon kempe lewis
iafallo shore brodzinki/Andreoff (when needed)

Mcdough doughty
muzzin green
martinez whocares

quick

Now in the real world i doubt any of the trade work for the other team however i would still do them if i could

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Gotta admit it's by far the biggest, most glaring hole, though. Especially when Muzzin was out of the lineup. And that's been true in the midst of winning AND losing streaks.

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown have all slowed down slightly and the depth hasn't been contributing lately. And without those guys being superhuman, yeah, we're an average team. Double exposure with no Carter and Muzzin, especially vs. tougher teams. But that goal differential didn't happen by accident--we will be in the mix all year. That's all I really hoped for--make it entertaining, and be in the hunt.

I agree, the lack of another top 4 defenseman is the most glaring hole. Again, I don't claim to be an expert on Ladue's game, but if the Kings development department considers him to have a legit shot at filling that hole some day, I question the wisdom of including him in any deal to fill it immediately for short term gain.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Exactly my point i have been trying to make with Sol we are known to be a big physical team that is tough to play against If we take out Clifford and Andreoff we become soft as hell.

The Kings are trending towards missing the playoffs for the third time in four years. The Kings either aren’t tough to play against or that big physical heavy game you talk about isn’t working in the NHL anymore.

The Kings always have their scrubs in for these divisional games and look what happens, we get destroyed on the ice and our players continue to get ran by the likes of Tkachuk and Maroon.

Clifford and Andreoff don’t deter anyone.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I agree, the lack of another top 4 defenseman is the most glaring hole. Again, I don't claim to be an expert on Ladue's game, but if the Kings development department considers him to have a legit shot at filling that hole some day, I question the wisdom of including him in any deal to fill it immediately for short term gain.
I agree any dealing of LaDue would have to be at least signed for 2 years I think in 2 years we will have our top 4 defense man in Clague coming.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The Kings are trending towards missing the playoffs for the third time in four years. The Kings either aren’t tough to play against or that big physical heavy game you talk about isn’t working in the NHL anymore.

The Kings always have their scrubs in for these divisional games and look what happens, we get destroyed on the ice and our players continue to get ran by the likes of Tkachuk and Maroon.

Only player on the team that I believe other players fear is MacDermid; and he's down in the AHL now.

Pittsburgh today shouldn't be too bad though they have Ryan Reaves who imo is the best fighter in the NHL. Tomorrow is against ANA again so we'll see what happens.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This was kind of the byproduct I was a bit worried about with the changing of the guard. We didn't raw out-talent people in general before, but guys like Stoll, Richards, etc. ground everyone to paste. Now, without lottery picks, we're transitioning to adding speed/skill--but we're sort of in a middle-ground/no-mans-land where we aren't the best skill team AND we aren't the toughest/biggest team. Obviously still good, but frankly, we're pretty identity-less right now outside our top players. One could call that adaptable I suppose. But when our best players aren't at the absolute pinnacle of our game, we're out of games. This is the problem with trying to follow the "Pens model" garbage. Find your own identity because by the time you try to be like the Cup champion it will be too late.

Reactions: Fat Elvis and Herby

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

There you go again Herby You have been against Clifford for how many years now ? I seem to recall you saying he would be traded way before king and nolan how that work out for u ? Again Clifford is thought of well by management that he was resigned for another 3 years So as i told you years ago i will state again get used to him being here cause i don't see him going anywhere soon. LMAO your seriously trying to blame Clifford who is playing under 10 mins a game as the reason that the kings are missing the playoffs seriously ? There are many many many other things that can and should be blamed before Clifford.

I do agree the nhl is trending to a faster game however there is still a need to have physical players around. The kings are trending this way as well Look at the roster this year We have no king no nolan no greene So how is this tend to a faster king team working for us Sound like the same as last year the way your seeing it. We get destroyed by our top 6 not playing like top 6 in our divisional games It has little to do with our bottom 6. This team will go as far as kopitar toffoli brown pearson drew muzzin and Quick will carry them Blaming a bottom 6 player then plays less then 10 mins is just wrong but i will say i support your right to be wrong as you have been for years on Clifford. I will continue to enjoy his play and when someone finally comes up and takes his spot i will cheer for that person As i enjoy a physical player

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
You think anyone who is critical of the crap players are “blaming them for everything” or “taking the blame away from the top players”

Are Clifford, AA and Mitchell (since the lineup changes) the main reasons for the struggles? No

Are they a significant reason? Yes

Come on man, you bring up the lack of minutes and all that does is make it look even worse with how much they’ve been scored against.

I just have no idea how anyone can objectively have watched this team this season and think we are better off with the current fourth line than we were with the “soft” fourth line from when Clifford and AA were injured. The numbers and the eye test say otherwise but by all means keep sending Clifford and AA out there to get dominated by divisional opponents in the name of some kind of faux toughness that the Kings did just fine without earlier in the year.

People here used to argue for the need to dress Ivanans and Westbarf also.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
You think anyone who is critical of the crap players are “blaming them for everything” or “taking the blame away from the top players”

Are Clifford, AA and Mitchell (since the lineup changes) the main reasons for the struggles? No

Are they a significant reason? Yes

Come on man, you bring up the lack of minutes and all that does is make it look even worse with how much they’ve been scored against.

I just have no idea how anyone can objectively have watched this team this season and think we are better off with the current fourth line than we were with the “soft” fourth line from when Clifford and AA were injured. The numbers and the eye test say otherwise but by all means keep sending Clifford and AA out there to get dominated by divisional opponents in the name of some kind of faux toughness that the Kings did just fine without earlier in the year.

People here used to argue for the need to dress Ivanans and Westbarf also.

The changes that were made were brodzinski and Jokinen go look at there dec to jan stats they were very much the exact same. I have done the research for you if u go back in this thread post 1354 go read that and get back to me on how much difference they have actually made.

The difference between Ivanans and westgarth is Clifford and Andreoff can take a regular shift/ The two your talking about played around 5 mins a game

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Andreoff is literally one of the worst players in the NHL by any metric, never mind what we see of him night after night. Can we please stop lumping him and Clifford together in any way other than to point out how awful a line with both of them is?

Reactions: tny760

Winger23

May 3, 2007
There you go again Herby You have been against Clifford for how many years now ? I seem to recall you saying he would be traded way before king and nolan how that work out for u ? Again Clifford is thought of well by management that he was resigned for another 3 years So as i told you years ago i will state again get used to him being here cause i don't see him going anywhere soon. LMAO your seriously trying to blame Clifford who is playing under 10 mins a game as the reason that the kings are missing the playoffs seriously ? There are many many many other things that can and should be blamed before Clifford.

I do agree the nhl is trending to a faster game however there is still a need to have physical players around. The kings are trending this way as well Look at the roster this year We have no king no nolan no greene So how is this tend to a faster king team working for us Sound like the same as last year the way your seeing it. We get destroyed by our top 6 not playing like top 6 in our divisional games It has little to do with our bottom 6. This team will go as far as kopitar toffoli brown pearson drew muzzin and Quick will carry them Blaming a bottom 6 player then plays less then 10 mins is just wrong but i will say i support your right to be wrong as you have been for years on Clifford. I will continue to enjoy his play and when someone finally comes up and takes his spot i will cheer for that person As i enjoy a physical player

You are quick to point out guys like Clifford and andreoff are not impacting the game playing less than 10 min a night. Mitchell is a plus minus of -8. Andreoff - 6. Clifford in only 13 games is - 2. These guys have one job to do and that's eat some minutes, which they haven't been very good at, at all. Is Clifford solely to blame? No, but the entire 4th line is trash.

Plus minus is a stat you have to be careful about using, but look at each player on the team vs their plus minus and it's very telling. The only one that may be off a bit would be Pearson.

Reactions: Herby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad