2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's a fun fact about both Andy Andreoff and Nick Shore, who were selected in the third round, 80th and 82nd overall in the 2011 draft.

Taken after them in the fourth round, at 104 overall was a diminutive player whose season totals will surpass the combined career point totals of both Andreoff and Shore.

I'm sure this fun little fact will make Andreoff even more endearing to Kings fans.

Reactions: deaderhead28

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Here's a fun fact about both Andy Andreoff and Nick Shore, who were selected in the third round, 80th and 82nd overall in the 2011 draft.

Taken after them in the fourth round, at 104 overall was a diminutive player whose season totals will surpass the combined career point totals of both Andreoff and Shore.

I'm sure this fun little fact will make Andreoff even more endearing to Kings fans.

That's a 20 pick difference. Some teams have gotten absolutely nothing from the players they took before Gaudreau was taken. He's better than most 1st round guys.

The 1st round misses, ok, that makes some sense. We're not over the missed pick in the middle to late rounds though? They're franchise lottery tickets. Sometimes you hit, most times you miss.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
JJ gets claimed while plugs remain..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's a 20 pick difference. Some teams have gotten absolutely nothing from the players they took before Gaudreau was taken. He's better than most 1st round guys.

The 1st round misses, ok, that makes some sense. We're not over the missed pick in the middle to late rounds though? They're franchise lottery tickets. Sometimes you hit, most times you miss.

Oh I know, it just emphasizes how much this organization under previous management just loved drafting "character" players.

Can you even name the last player the Kings drafted out of the first round who has made an impact? You'd probably have to go back to Toffoli in 2010, nearly eight years ago.

Hence why I ripped on Lombardi's drafting over the past few years. It's the reason why this organization lacks any semblance of depth from top to bottom and is the main culprit in setting the organization back by a few years.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is that the excuse you use when someone points out the flaws in your argument?

When the shoe fits!

In that post's case, your post had little to nothing to do with the quoted post, lacking context, and you're also dropping additional numbers without context.

Not often you see a self-own twice in one post.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It's the whole Tom Brady thing, you know? "If we were so smart, why didn't we draft him seven rounds earlier?"

Flashback: Bill Belichick on drafting Patriots QB Tom Brady

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
So was this team ever a contender or not? You keep saying they're not and haven't been, so their 2nd best record in the league earlier meant nothing since it was in a small sample size. They got hot for a couple weeks. Hot in late November does not a contender make.

If they're not a contender, then LaDue should be given a chance to get some additional minutes. Hopefully Brodzinski gets back in. Even Andreoff should be in the lineup to help them get a better draft pick, because they're a paper tiger anyway.[/QUOTE

Wow!! Just exaggerate what I've said Lol No one said this team couldn't be a contender.As many have said,the team is a top 4 defensemen from seriously contending at the very lease on paper.Be better if they could fill the thirdline center position as well.Ive said they're a playoff team but not deep enough to win a cup.Wasting another year on the core isn't smart.Ladue wasn't the answer last year and he still isn't the top 4 defensemen answer now.Hopefully Blake has called Ladue up to have other teams watch him and trade him as part of a package for a top 4 defensemen.Maybe Blake can add Andreoff as a extra in the deal.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
When the shoe fits!

In that post's case, your post had little to nothing to do with the quoted post, lacking context, and you're also dropping additional numbers without context.

Ziggy is absolutely right.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
When the shoe fits!

You are the one who loves bringing up CF%, except when it is used to poke holes in your silly tangents.

If the shoe fits!

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
When the shoe fits!

Come on Raccoon, you post this garbage and you turn around and liked a posters post who not only was exaggerating the facts,but borderline trolling?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You are the one who loves bringing up CF%, except when it is used to poke holes in your silly tangents.

If the shoe fits!

I do love bringing up CF%. But I'm also bringing up literally every other available stat as well. You're the one posting a myopic focus on CF% as a way to strawman me when in fact there are plenty of other avenues of evidence I use in addition to the eyetest.

You and I have both been watching the Kings for an eternity. I know it's convenient sometimes for you to pretend I don't watch the games. I've been coaching, playing, watching hockey for 25 years. When I drop evidence, it's because I'm using it to color in some of the lines that are unfilled, not in some sort of vacuum.

In this case, there was evidence backing up the narrative that we've used (in addition to production, deployment, and icetime) about the 3rd and 4th lines not being awful as is the meme amongst some posters here. That's it.

Come on Raccoon, you post this garbage and you turn around and liked a posters post who not only was exaggerating the facts,but borderline trolling?

Not sure which post you're referring to but the post I was referencing was the one showing the average statistics of fourth lines. I don't see why at all that would be controversial given we've been saying the same around here for 1.5 years. In the last few games some of the lineup decisions have been an issue and we can all agree on that, but in the big picture, we have an average at worst bottom six.

He's become more and more like Machinehead. More into stats than the actual game.

A for effort.

Usually our exchanges go with you saying something outlandish like "Forbort is not an NHL player," me saying "actually disagree, here's why, and here are some stats that back up that opinion," and then a bunch of defensive things about why stats are bad.

I don't know where this 'stats only' red herring comes from, I'm happy to discuss other avenues of thought, but opinions can be completely out to lunch too.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reaaallly hope Amadio isn't getting called up just to sidecar Clifford and Andreoff.

Edit: from practice. Welp.

Gray: Kempe-Kopitar-Brown
Blue: Pearson-Lewis-Toffoli
Yellow: Amadio-Shore-Mitchell-Gaborik
Purple: Clifford-Andreoff-Amadio-Brodzinski

Please bench one of them, Clifford and Andreoff are redundant in the lineup no matter which one you like.

Edit: also FWIW we may see something like Doughty-Forbort / Muzzin-Ladue tomorrow per practice notes. Not sure how I feel about that either haha but at least it's a shakeup.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I do love bringing up CF%. But I'm also bringing up literally every other available stat as well. You're the one posting a myopic focus on CF% as a way to strawman me when in fact there are plenty of other avenues of evidence I use in addition to the eyetest.

You and I have both been watching the Kings for an eternity. I know it's convenient sometimes for you to pretend I don't watch the games. I've been coaching, playing, watching hockey for 25 years. When I drop evidence, it's because I'm using it to color in some of the lines that are unfilled, not in some sort of vacuum.

In this case, there was evidence backing up the narrative that we've used (in addition to production, deployment, and icetime) about the 3rd and 4th lines not being awful as is the meme amongst some posters here. That's it.

Not sure which post you're referring to but the post I was referencing was the one showing the average statistics of fourth lines. I don't see why at all that would be controversial given we've been saying the same around here for 1.5 years. In the last few games some of the lineup decisions have been an issue and we can all agree on that, but in the big picture, we have an average at worst bottom six.

A for effort.

Usually our exchanges go with you saying something outlandish like "Forbort is not an NHL player," me saying "actually disagree, here's why, and here are some stats that back up that opinion," and then a bunch of defensive bull****.

I don't know where this 'stats only' red herring comes from, I'm happy to discuss other avenues of thought, but opinions can be completely out to lunch too.

You seem to rely heavily upon stats too heavily man. I've seen you use stats up to prop up obviously bad players. And I'm not saying that to insult you cause I've been wrong before too. I remember you told me that MacD was slow as hell, and I said he was good and pretty fast... But man the guys lateral movement is non-existent. His straight line speed is surprisingly quick I don't know if you've seen that. But you were right, he's extremely slow when he's defending,he has no lateral movement for a defenseman which is a really bad thing.

So you were partially right for the most part about that.

But when you start just propping up really bad players with stats it almost seems like you're not really watching.
.. That's my two cents. Trying to be cordial with you.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Reaaallly hope Amadio isn't getting called up just to sidecar Clifford and Andreoff.

Edit: from practice. Welp.

Gray: Kempe-Kopitar-Brown
Blue: Pearson-Lewis-Toffoli
Yellow: Amadio-Shore-Mitchell-Gaborik
Purple: Clifford-Andreoff-Amadio-Brodzinski

Please bench one of them, Clifford and Andreoff are redundant in the lineup no matter which one you like.

Yes one of them needs to be benched, but don't you think just to try out what worked previously should be given another shot? Like sitting both AA and Clifford.

I think it's a mistake not trying that again considering the success it had.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Nolan at 900k cap hit >>>Clifford at 1.6mil cap hit. Also Nolan>>>>>>>>>>>Andreoff

Also, Rangers listening to offers for Mcdonagh...

How has McDonagh's health been this season? Would love him.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You seem to rely heavily upon stats too heavily man. I've seen you use stats up to prop up obviously bad players. And I'm not saying that to insult you cause I've been wrong before too. I remember you told me that MacD was slow as hell, and I said he was good and pretty fast... But man the guys lateral movement is non-existent. His straight line speed is surprisingly quick I don't know if you've seen that. But you were right, he's extremely slow when he's defending,he has no lateral movement for a defenseman which is a really bad thing.

So you were partially right for the most part about that.

But when you start just propping up really bad players with stats it almost seems like you're not really watching.
.. That's my two cents. Trying to be cordial with you.

Like who, though? That's my only qualm really. I take issue with the idea that McNabb and Forbort are "obviously bad." Miscast at times? Absolutely. Not NHLers? That's why I drew the line where I did and used that to support things. And part of that is my interest in defensive defenseman types, because they often get put in situations where 'not failure' is the best they can do. Robyn Regehr, for example, almost always had terrible stats. He also got some of the toughest minutes in the NHL. Not that Forbort or McNabb can hold Robyn's jock, but it's a similar mission.

I agree I was a little surprised by MacD's straight line speed. Sort of a Bowser from Mario Kart skater :laugh: his side to side agility is what kills him but towards the end of his stint he was getting muscled on the boards too by guys like Kase and that was just appalling. I can see why the org sees him as a huge ball of clay. I'll admit there seems to be more to like than I initially thought that's for sure. But he needs more dev. time. I'm excited to see what he can do in big minutes in Ontario now that he's learned quite a bit at the NHL level.

Yes one of them needs to be benched, but don't you think just to try out what worked previously should be given another shot? Like sitting both AA and Clifford.

I think it's a mistake not trying that again considering the success it had.

I'm not against that. But you know personally I like Clifford for honest toughness and possession if nothing else. But if the lineup was Kempe-Kopitar-Brown / Pearson -Lewis-Toffoli / Gaborik-Amadio-Brodzinksi / Shore -Mitchell -Lewis I wouldn't be upset at his absence really. I was a big fan of that bottom line when it had no Clifford and was something like Jokinen - Mitchell - Brodzinski because I was pretty high on JJ's IQ out there. As others have said during this slide, the fourth line has been poor in that it's been getting scored on at an abnormal rate; I don't particularly care if they're scoring machines, they just have to not be - machines and have a remote chance of scoring. Shore-Mitchell-Lewis could be a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad