2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Cole isn't a top 4.Waste of assets and rather have Mitchell.
Never said he was .In fact if u re read my whole post i said to stabilize the bottom pairing. He is a vet thats won 2 cups His experience would be valuable for the playoffs. Mitchell is going to be sitting in the press box when Carter gets back imo Its not a great deal but its a player more likely to play vs someone i see sitting and it fits what pitts needs

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Never said he was .In fact if u re read my whole post i said to stabilize the bottom pairing. He is a vet thats won 2 cups His experience would be valuable for the playoffs. Mitchell is going to be sitting in the press box when Carter gets back imo Its not a great deal but its a player more likely to play vs someone i see sitting and it fits what pitts needs
I guess we disagree,Cole doesn't fill any needs on our defense.Total waste of assets.I wouldn't even give up AA for him.lol

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
We need Mitchell to win face offs since Kempe is so weak on them.Kempe will probably be moved to wing when Carter comes back anyways.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah but look at how much the Rangers were scouting Ontario last season and then nothing happened. I'll believe it when I see it. Like I really don't see Cole being an upgrade over Folin or Forbort. And why would Pittsburgh move Sheary?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I guess we disagree,Cole doesn't fill any needs on our defense.Total waste of assets.I wouldn't even give up AA for him.lol
He is a veteran and would be trusted to play over folin and gravel His experience in the playoff can not be understated No way do the kings go in with 3 young defense man Is he the best option probably not but if its only for Mitchell or if we get a pick with Cole Its a move i would consider low risk and a slight upgrade on 6/7 defense man.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
We need Mitchell to win face offs since Kempe is so weak on them.Kempe will probably be moved to wing when Carter comes back anyways.
I would rather see Iafallo or Lewis or Amadio playing 3 c over Mitchel
Kempe Kopitar Brown
Pearson Carter Toffoli
Gaborik Amadio/iafallo Brodzinski
Clifford Shore Lewis

To me that should be the lineup A skilled 3rd line If we can acquire a lw we can push Gaborik right out of the lineup

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
He is a veteran and would be trusted to play over folin and gravel His experience in the playoff can not be understated No way do the kings go in with 3 young defense man Is he the best option probably not but if its only for Mitchell or if we get a pick with Cole Its a move i would consider low risk and a slight upgrade on 6/7 defense man.
Cole can't help us.He isn't a top 4 defensemen.If Blake dumpstered dives for Cole then Kings deserve to miss the playoffs.6/7 defensemen isn't a need or want.Its our top 4 that needs help and a top 6 LW that can score.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I don’t get the Cole hate. A top four isn’t coming unless major assets go the other way. Cole is a solid vet that has some edge. Not a world beater but if he could be had on the cheap why not? He was solid in Pitts cup runs.

Unless Pitt wants Amadio, I’m not sure a Sheary deal is likely.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Cole can't help us.He isn't a top 4 defensemen.If Blake dumpstered dives for Cole then Kings deserve to miss the playoffs.6/7 defensemen isn't a need or want.Its our top 4 that needs help and a top 6 LW that can score.
Yes i agree we need another trade or two No argument there however if we can upgrade our 6th defense man for cheap why not. At worse he is good insurance in case of injury. He got some grit to him so maybe we won't have to dress Andreoff or clifford as much.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I know that lots of players like the certainty of a longterm contract, but is there a chance that Doughty would go for a say 3 year max money contract instead of an 8? Perhaps he could squeeze a little more money out of the situation. He could go 3 years, then 8 years. He'd only be in his early thirties for the next contract and could ask for max money again, when the cap would have most likely gone up in that 3 years. He is not as likely to get top dollar when renegotiating in his late thirties.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They were a poor drafting team back then, but look at the context of those picks. Who should they have drafted in 91? Realistically. The only guy within 10 picks is Perreault, and the Kings eventually got him for basically nothing. After that, in the entire 3rd round, McCarthy, Osgood, Konowalchuk, and Nylander played more than a couple hundred games. Any one of them would've been better than Leveque, but they did draft Zhitnik in the 4th round, so it sort of evens out. In 92, Peca was the pick right after Hocking, so they missed there. Norstrom was a couple picks after Hocking too, and they eventually got him as well. In 93, there are 29 picks between Toporowski, and the next guy that did anything, Vinny Prospal. Although the Kings did have an additional pick a couple spots ahead of where Prospal was taken.

I had more of an issue with their inability to move around in the draft. They seemed to always sit on their hands and never really were active at the draft table until Lombardi took over. It's as if they completely ignored a draft strategy that many others were employing, going all the way back to when Sam Pollock would strategically make moves to get the players he wanted to build his Canadiens dynasty.

The European scouts did a great job though. Like you mentioned with Zhitnik, Lang, Timonen, they seemed to do a lot better than the North American scouts. Tsyplakov and Yachmenev were a couple of additional good finds as well.

Very few North Americans drafted by the Kings in the 90s amounted to anything. Eric Belanger may have been the best of the bunch.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm not seeing what this roster has done to warrant any deadline deals which would make much of a difference in the playoffs.

Just play it out. If the Kings make the playoffs some of the younger players get some playoff experience. If they don't, the Kings have kept their powder dry and still have all of their prospects and picks to continue the rebuild.

All focus turns to Doughty and July 1, once the season ends.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not seeing what this roster has done to warrant any deadline deals which would make much of a difference in the playoffs.

Just play it out. If the Kings make the playoffs some of the younger players get some playoff experience. If they don't, the Kings have kept their powder dry and still have all of their prospects and picks to continue the rebuild.

All focus turns to Doughty and July 1, once the season ends.

If Kings are still in a playoff spot in a week I would pull the trigger on long term trade to make the team better this year and the future.Got to improve the roster when you can not just at the draft,free agency or trade deadline

Reactions: yankeeking

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
our scouts (pen's) have been at your games, and you've been scouting ours. I think we even had a scout at your farm team, and I don't think we make the best trade partners......but with all the scouting I could be wrong. What are you looking for? (need) Who are your top (nhl ready) prospects?

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Say LA traded something like Toffoli, Vilardi, LaDue, and 1st for EK.

AI Kopi Brown
Pearson Carter Gabby
Clifford Kempe Lewis
AA Shore Brodzinski
Mitchell

Doughty Muzzin
Amart Karlsson
Forbort Folin
Gravel

For 1 & 1/4 years of that defense....maybe try and convince DD and EK to take a couple mil less to stick together.

I'd actually do it.

Heck No! That's wasting assets on a player we can't afford. If LA made a move like that, we will go back to the dark ages of LA Kings hockey before Kopitar and crew came along.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I know that lots of players like the certainty of a longterm contract, but is there a chance that Doughty would go for a say 3 year max money contract instead of an 8? Perhaps he could squeeze a little more money out of the situation. He could go 3 years, then 8 years. He'd only be in his early thirties for the next contract and could ask for max money again, when the cap would have most likely gone up in that 3 years. He is not as likely to get top dollar when renegotiating in his late thirties.
I doubt very much that he would take that risk.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Max years, max money within the max years, and front loaded. That's how it's going to go down. The salary might be different in the probable lockout year, but Doughty won't do anything different than all the other top UFA's-to-be. You get as much money as early and as quickly as you can.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
our scouts (pen's) have been at your games, and you've been scouting ours. I think we even had a scout at your farm team, and I don't think we make the best trade partners......but with all the scouting I could be wrong. What are you looking for? (need) Who are your top (nhl ready) prospects?
I agree the pens and kings are not good trading partners. Yes i believe your scout was at a ahl game of ours lately. The Kings are ideally looking at a top 6 lw or/and a top 4 defense man . As talked about elsewhere on the kings board the only thing i see is that makes sense is Mitchel for Ian Cole and 4th or 5th As for ur other question nhl ready prospects Mersch Auger MacDermid Oscar Fantenberg There is also Moulson who is playing really well in the ahl 29 points in 26 games. Also i may as well ask what the Pens are looking for maybe i can find a fit that way

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad