2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I just looked up some stats around the NHL and noticed that Stamkos is on pace for 144 points. I know it won't happen, but man, this is an insane first quarter of the season for him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I just looked up some stats around the NHL and noticed that Stamkos is on pace for 144 points. I know it won't happen, but man, this is an insane first quarter of the season for him.

That line though, Stamkos and Kucherov plus Namestnikov (hey SNK line!) is just lethal as balls...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I can't for the life of me figure out why Hutton isn't producing more.

His transition game and zone exits have looked terrific and are easily the best on the team. He's getting scoring chances and his SOG totals are the highest of his career. And his on-ice shooting % is actually pretty good.

Everything I know about hockey tells me this guy should be scoring at a 25-35 point pace, but the points just aren't coming.

His weak shot doesn't help create rebounds. So after he's pushed the puck up-ice to another forward, he's left with trying to get another touch before the line scores. And even if he does get that second touch, there's not assurance he's able to make a deft pass in-zone to be on the assists sheet. It really stems from his shot. He's got to either improve it, or become a deadly passer in the Ozone.

All that said, so long as his line keeps a positive shot differential, he should factor in on something sooner rather than later.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
What's the deal with Nolan Patrick? His numbers look really underwhelming, especially comparing with Nico Hischier.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Reinhart has always been less than he was made to be. Not improving whl numbers d plus 1 year was concerning. He is not a guy you trade for unless it is a Virtanen type trade. Even than how does he help this team? We have no shortage of soft slow skilled forwards. It makes for a soft slow team that is easy to play against. Which is exactly what the Canucks are right now.

man, paul reinhart has some disappointing loins doesn't he?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Why would he make a panic trade? According to the commentators, he's one of the best GMs in the league, as evidenced by his body of work in Boston.

These are exactly the situations in which GMs do make panic trades. Expectations for the team were incredibly high coming into the season. You have to look at what they have done to get here:
  • They replaced the entire coaching staff and General Manager - but notably not Lowe or McTavish.
  • They drafted the best player to enter the league since Sydney Crosby.
  • They have 6 top 5 overall draft picks - McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Puljujarvi, Larson and Nurse, plus Klefbom who was 19 OA.
  • They invested $33M in 4 top forwards - McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic and RNH
  • They Made huge trades to stabilize the Defense (Hall for Larsen) and Centre (Eberle for Strome), Goal (picks for Talbot) and Wing (Scrivens for Kassian / Picks for Maroon). In the Hall and Eberle trades, they (apparently knowingly) gave up value to fill specific needs.
  • They brought in major free agents - Lucic, Caggiula and Russell to add toughness, skill and defense respectively.
These moves were designed for a deep playoff run this year and a chance at a championship before the salary cap forces them to retool. If they miss the playoffs, the pressure on Chiarelli, McTavish and Lowe (and maybe McLellan) will be intense. This is a major failure.

The team is clearly built wrong. The NHL has been trending away from these big, slow, "heavy" Boston / LA style teams. They have the fastest, most dynamic skater in the league, but other than McDavid, the team is really slow. The 2 forwards (other than McJesus) who play with pace are having a hard time making the roster (Puljujarvi and Yamamoto). Kassian, who also has good wheels, is playing 8 to 13 minutes per game on the 3rd and 4th line.

They have a defense that can not transition the puck and with all the investment in Larson / Russel / Klefbom, can't defend either. Cam Talbot was brought in to stabilize the goalie position, and after a really good first 2 seasons, is having a very rough stretch right now. I think Talbot is a really good goalie, but the chaos on D is affecting him.

There are defensemen and wingers actively being shopped across the league and Edmonton owns all of its own draft picks for the next 3 years. They also have a "chip" in RNH - who is very useful to them this year, but with their future cap issues, is not going to be a part of their future. This is a perfect situation for a panic trade.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as of today, the ten teams in the west between 4th and 13th are within three points of one another. jets in third are just one point up on that pack. nashville is one more point up. the only team with separation is the blues.

the east is not much better.

i can see some gms blowing their brains out making moves this year. good time to be a seller.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Wow..
LA loses again. Vegas beats Ana...

Vegas in 1st place in the Pacific!

Canucks a single point back of LA now.

Vegas depth and speed is for real. Got the coaching.
I don’t see a bottom falling out from under them.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Duchene still pointless as a Senator. Turris flourishing in Nashville.

Meanwhile, Zibanejad has 22 points in 22 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad